Review Your Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most applicants have no clue about the programs they are applying to and have limited resources to learn about the programs. Many only have outdated web sites.

Can any current or recent former fellows comment on the quality of the fellowship they are going/went through? Please tell us about a typical schedule (rotation, typical day, call), quality of teaching and breadth/depth of procedures learned, percent of new patients vs. follow-ups. How was the support staff? Are the fellows and faculty happy? Do you have teaching and/or research opportunities? How's the location? Do most fellows stay local or go far away? Private practice or academics? Are there moonlighting opportunities? Any special features of the fellowship? Let us know!

I know there are many hidden gems out there. Tell us all about it!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Mine is the best. Mbb rf cesi follow ups. 2 new. Kypho at 1130. Left office at noon and too fellow to Atlanta Motorsports Park for some laps in my GT-R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda Fellowship

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted this a couple months ago but should fit in this thread.

Program:
-Well respected medical school.

-4 Fellows usually (2 anesthesia and 2 PMR) have had other specialties in the past.

-Excellent combination of different aspects of pain. Spend time at main pain clinic 6 months, VA pain clinic 3 months, VA multidisciplinary rotation (radiology, neurology, addiction, palliative care etc) these are very easy months avg 30 hr/week or less with built in study time.

-Great hours. At main clinic Mon-Thurs 9-4 Fri 9-12 . Procedures Wed and Thurs AM. At VA 8-3 Mon-Fri.

-Minimal Inpatient stuff. Only cover chronic pain. No catheter management etc. This is covered by anesthesia residents. Only take call approx 8 weekends the whole year.

-Geared mostly toward PP pain. Many attendings also have part-time private practices and they are happy to share their experience on both sides of the fence. Not much research going on but willing to help if you are interested (that being said 2 of 4 fellows last year told academic jobs)

-Lots of bread and butter procedures but also doing stim, a handful of pumps both baclofen and opioid as well as Kyphoplasty, some disc and MILD procedures.

-Awesome moonlighting gig for anesthesia trained fellows.

Location/Misc:
-Beautiful weather Avg summer temps 80-mid 90s. Winter 60-70s.
-Reasonable cost of living compared to other parts of CA
-1 hour drive to the beach, 1-hours the ski resorts of Big Bear
-Close to Disneyland and other parks
-Very laid back

Mine is the best. Mbb rf cesi follow ups. 2 new. Kypho at 1130. Left office at noon and too fellow to Atlanta Motorsports Park for some laps in my GT-R.

that sounds like an awesome day :love: I can't say i'm not super jealous. the best I've gotten so far was a cup of starbucks coffee right before I was asked to fill out the review.

there's an award for bestest attending doc out there somewhere with you name on it, blasted on a strip of asphalt with tire rubber.

Alright, I'll bite.

As Lobel's first fellow, my year was pretty solid. Bread and butter injections up the wazoo, with a dash of the fun stuff (SCS trials/implants/disco's) and even some needles in the cheek (Gasserian).

Throw in the experience of soiling my shorts in his Subaru super-rocket (700HP) and free lunches across the street at the hospital (when there wasn't free drug rep lunches in-house) and this was a top-notch fellowship program.

I doubt even the "top" ACGME fellowships have race car experiences included.
Maybe Texas. I'll have to check.

Important note: Buffet is playing ~90% of time on ipod in procedure suite. I liked Changes in Lattitudes and Southern Cross, but the other stuff takes some getting used to.