Reviewing MLP charts. FUN TIMES!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, and I was running a code on a middle-aged choking victim, PEA, got airway cleared and tubed, end-tidal at 45 (started significantly higher), beautiful regular and narrow QRS on monitor at 160, but no other signs of life. We couldn't find a pulse anywhere, even with doppler. Quick sono of heart showed good contractility...this guy obviously isn't dead yet. In walks physician who picks up the sono probe, orders cessation of compressions and puts probe on chest. I have no idea what they were looking at because I couldn't identify landmarks, but then the doc declares them dead and walks out. I'm like W....T......F. Okay, Doc's patient now, not mine, so I walk out of resus. Nurses stunned as well and don't take off monitor. It's a full 15 minutes later when RT notices that there is STILL a beautiful narrow QRS sinus tach on monitor, checks for a pulse and low-and-behold the guy is alive. Bag, vent, pressors, steroids, I put in CVL and we transfer to tertiary.

BRTky.jpg

Great story, bro.
I got a similar one; it goes like this.
"Tuesday, I went to work."

The more that you talk, the more you prove my point that you're probably precisely the sort of dangerous that I complain and warn about.
Sure, you tell the story the way you want it told; and good on yah - maybe things were different between x-and-y.
Want to really impress me ? Finish this thing called "medical school", then this other thing called "residency", and then sign your own charts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
BRTky.jpg

Great story, bro.

The more that you talk, the more you prove my point that you're probably precisely the sort of dangerous that I complain and warn about.
Sure, you tell the story the way you want it told; and good on yah - maybe things were different between x-and-y.
Want to really impress me ? Finish this thing called "medical school", then this other thing called "residency", and then sign your own charts.

My bad-ass days are over.

I have no desire to impress you.

I wish I HAD made different decisions decades ago and at least attempted to go to medical school. If I had made it in, and matched into one of the early EM residency programs, I would hope that I would not be a bitter old doc complaining on the internet about things I can't control. It must be very sad to be at the very top of your profession and be so bitter about things.

As for going to medical school now, I'm simply too old to attempt it. And I'm too happy in my current lot in life with a great 2nd career, and I don't mind playing 2nd fiddle to a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
My bad-ass days are over.

I have no desire to impress you.

I wish I HAD made different decisions decades ago and at least attempted to go to medical school. If I had made it in, and matched into one of the early EM residency programs, I would hope that I would not be a bitter old doc complaining on the internet about things I can't control. It must be very sad to be at the very top of your profession and be so bitter about things.

As for going to medical school now, I'm simply too old to attempt it. And I'm too happy in my current lot in life with a great 2nd career, and I don't mind playing 2nd fiddle to a physician.

For a guy whose bad-ass days are over, you sure talk a big game.
No desire to impress me? That's handy.
Now, great resusc.
Bitter? Maybe just now, yeah - but its not *sad* when even complaining is the right thing to do. I'm sure the founding fathers were "bitter" with King George. Did it make them wrong?
If you're a physician, and you're not upset about the present state of affairs, then you're just plain dumb, or you're in the other camp.
I'm happy that you're happy. But you know what? It doesn't change the way things are, and they ain't right.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No desire to impress me? That's handy.
Now, great resusc.
...It doesn't change the way things are, and they ain't right.

No, none.

Was a terrible resusc. Guy had terrible quality of life going into it, and lived in the ICU alone for another few days before getting unplugged.

We agree things ain't right. MLPs need supervision, yet physicians need protection from liability from our practice. I don't know how to do that.

I just got done signing 25 PA charts. She is a new PA so I got a presentation of some sort for every patient. FANTASTIC. A few of the people I saw bc she wanted me to see, a few others just to confirm a couple things. Overall I wish this was my set up all the time. Didn't bother me at all to be presented too even for basic things and I feel so much more comfortable signing the charts.

No, none.

Was a terrible resusc. Guy had terrible quality of life going into it, and lived in the ICU alone for another few days before getting unplugged.

We agree things ain't right. MLPs need supervision, yet physicians need protection from liability from our practice. I don't know how to do that.

1. There you have it.
2. There you have it. Great resusc. Wait. Terrible resusc. [?!] Maybe think about that one, now that myself and everyone else can consider that little bit of data.
3. I do. Here it is. Present the patient, be teachable, and do as you're told. Done. Works perfectly. Its kind of like you did what I told you to do, and then I sign the chart saying that you did what I told you to do. See how easy that is ?!

Reactions: 5 users
If I had a mid level I know present those one word sentences on every single patient. I would think that they had absolutely no confidence in their skills or abilities.

Now you have planted the seed in their minds that if they ask you too many questions you'll think they're incompetent. The next time they have a weird spidey-sense, can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it, or am-I-being-dumb question they may shy away from including you lest you think they don't belong in the ED.

Now you have planted the seed in their minds that if they ask you too many questions you'll think they're incompetent. The next time they have a weird spidey-sense, can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it, or am-I-being-dumb question they may shy away from including you lest you think they don't belong in the ED.

If they do this, it's generally because they ARE incompetent.
Every shift, I have some MLP ask me a question that should at least first be "looked up" on WIKEM (or even just freaking "GOOGLE'D") before asking me how to proceed.
Eff. Even the patients do that.
You got a weird spidey-sense about something ? Thanks, give it to me.
If you get a wieird spidey-sense about everything, then you don't belong in an ED.

PERFECT example.

Last shift.
MLP says "I think this kid may have Kawasaki Syndrome. Can you come look?"
"Sure. Before I look; what makes you think they have Kawasaki?"
"Um, I don't know. They have a fever, and their mouth looks weird."
"What are the diagnostic criteria for Kawasaki?"
"Ummm.... I dunno."

"Okay."

Kid has thrush. Slam-dunk, can't-miss-it thrush. Was recently given amoxicillin by Jenny McJennyson, NP for "cough".
No conjunctivitis. No fever. No "hands and feet". No "CRASH and BURN" as we all learned, memorized, and were tested on.

Discharged.

"So, do you know about WIKEM?"
"Yeah; I have the app on my phone!"
"Why didn't you look up the critieria for Kawasaki before you came to me and said "I think this might be Kawasaki"?"
"Um. I dunno."

I dunno.

I dunno.

I dunno.

Oh. You dunno? We knew that.
Now, do as you're told.

Reactions: 6 users
Those who work with a dictatorial, my-way-or-you're-an-idiot leadership style, often find themselves stunted. Doesn't matter what you want, doesn't matter what someone else has taught you, doesn't matter what some literature says....you better go to das leader and find exactly what he wants done with that stubbed toe in room 3.

It becomes easier to just go get Das Kapitan to look at the sore throat than make your own decisions...that way you can just "do as you are told!"

Followed by "What dosage of nystatin would you like Das Kapitan?"

Last edited:
Supervision should be determined between the doc and the PA. Not by law, not by the CMG, and not by the hospital.

Obeying a stop sign should be at the discretion of the driver, not because it is law. I mean this is kind of ridiculous, don't you think? If a doc chooses not to supervise that's fine, he does so at his own peril.

Yeah, and I was running a code on a middle-aged choking victim, PEA, got airway cleared and tubed, end-tidal at 45 (started significantly higher), beautiful regular and narrow QRS on monitor at 160, but no other signs of life. We couldn't find a pulse anywhere, even with doppler. Quick sono of heart showed good contractility...this guy obviously isn't dead yet. In walks physician who picks up the sono probe, orders cessation of compressions and puts probe on chest. I have no idea what they were looking at because I couldn't identify landmarks, but then the doc declares them dead and walks out. I'm like W....T......F. Okay, Doc's patient now, not mine, so I walk out of resus. Nurses stunned as well and don't take off monitor. It's a full 15 minutes later when RT notices that there is STILL a beautiful narrow QRS sinus tach on monitor, checks for a pulse and low-and-behold the guy is alive. Bag, vent, pressors, steroids, I put in CVL and we transfer to tertiary.

I am really surprised that in any ER there is a MLP running a code on a choking victim.

Just imagine you are an MD and signing that chart!?!

ER is turning into Anesthesiology....one Anesthesiologist overseeing 4 rooms and CRNA's intubating and twiddling the dials.

I personally don't care about most of stuff the PAs do. Want to give Keflex for that viral URI? Great! Want to X-ray that obvious ankle sprain? Who cares! The vast majority of the urgent care bull**** is irrelevant. As long as they aren't harming people, or doing something to piss someone off, they can prescribe magic herbs and elixirs for all I care.

Reactions: 2 users
Arguing that MLPs have no place in the ED when most can work unsupervised in family practice clinics (where few of you would probably truly fault them for providing basic access in medical care to the public) just doesn't make sense when such a large amount of FM comes through the ED every day.

Until there is mandatory copay of $200 for all ER visits in the US to weed out all the riff-raff, we are probably stuck with them. I don't mind MLPs taking low acuity stuff as long as there is no creep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Until there is mandatory copay of $200 for all ER visits in the US to weed out all the riff-raff, we are probably stuck with them. I don't mind MLPs taking low acuity stuff as long as there is no creep.

All that $200 co-pay is going to accomplish is keeping away the farmer with 1 hour of midsternal chest pain and dyspnea because this might be gas and who has $200 to go to the ER anyways?

This is a legitimate question as I haven't come across this type of data -- is the rate of ER (mis)utilization through the roof in countries with single-payer healthcare? By your assumption that it is solely related to immediate, out-of-pocket payment it must be way worse than it is in the US, no?

I personally don't care about most of stuff the PAs do. Want to give Keflex for that viral URI? Great! Want to X-ray that obvious ankle sprain? Who cares! The vast majority of the urgent care bull**** is irrelevant. As long as they aren't harming people, or doing something to piss someone off, they can prescribe magic herbs and elixirs for all I care.

Now with all this MIPS and PQRS and **** like that, this kind of nonsense might be attached to your license. And then you will get paid less because ever kid with a runny nose will get amoxicillin.

I agree regarding UC bull****. I'm fairly confident that the whole Urgent Care model does nothing for our nation's health as the vast majority of urgent care complaints would resolve on their own.

New attending here reading all this and can relate and I’m scared @hitless. Signed at a high acuity shop and I was told the PAs were “amazing” so I came in trusting them. Well good thing I read all my charts in detail. PA discharged a cauda equina as sciatica. I called the pt back myself and they had to go the OR emergently. Another discharged a 20
Month old with a HR of 180 and didn’t even comment on it. I’ve now said I’m not signing any charts unless patients are discussed with me. I don’t think I’ll see all of them but at least we can discuss what normal vitals signs are before the patient goes home. I’m also worried this may make me not seem like a team player so I’m actively looking for another job. I’d happily work nights for less money and see 1-2 an hour alone. At least when I get sued, I want it to be my own doing.

All that $200 co-pay is going to accomplish is keeping away the farmer with 1 hour of midsternal chest pain and dyspnea because this might be gas and who has $200 to go to the ER anyways?

This is a legitimate question as I haven't come across this type of data -- is the rate of ER (mis)utilization through the roof in countries with single-payer healthcare? By your assumption it must be way worse than it is in the US, no?

I read in some recent article in NEJM, or a blog quoting NEJM or something.... that health care utilization would not decrease if patients had more "skin in the game" in the US. I suspect its more complicated than that because I am 100% certain our ED volumes where I work would go down by 10-15% if we charged a co-pay. I also read, in that same article if I recall, that other countries don't use health-care more than we do on average

All humor aside, I do think an appropriate co-pay would be about $20. I personally feel everyone who sees a doctor should pay a little bit of money. It should not be "free".

Obeying a stop sign should be at the discretion of the driver, not because it is law. I mean this is kind of ridiculous, don't you think? If a doc chooses not to supervise that's fine, he does so at his own peril.

The law for PA supervision is evolving in most states toward more focus on the Doc/PA supervision versus bureaucratical metrics such as % charts reviewed, etc.

No doc should "not" supervise the PA. However the methods, and stringency, of supervision should be between the doc and the PA. In the best shop I work at (alongside EPs), the EP kind-of keeps track of my charts, and will lean over and ask me a question or two to make sure I'm on the right track....like "is that kid cleared by Pecarn?", or "that guy's getting admitted, right?". Likewise, in that shop (and most others) when I get a critically ill patient I usually just tell the doc "this one's sick!" so they can stay up-to-date on what I'm doing, ask questions, give guidance, etc.

I am really surprised that in any ER there is a MLP running a code on a choking victim.

Just imagine you are an MD and signing that chart!?!

Extremely rural ED, 2.5 hrs from secondary care, 4 hours from tertiary care. At the risk of being called on the carpet for this by physicians, I would suggest an EM PA provides better emergency medicine than most of the family practice physicians who cover such EDs. For example, when I first started going to that ED, I was referred to as "the guy who orders the lactate!"....the lab manager said she couldn't remember when she last ran a lactate.

And just imagine being the PA who also signed that chart! Can't throw the doc under the bus, yet if there are any family members their lawyers will certainly get rich off this one!

Last edited:
New attending here reading all this and can relate and I’m scared @hitless. Signed at a high acuity shop and I was told the PAs were “amazing” so I came in trusting them. Well good thing I read all my charts in detail. PA discharged a cauda equina as sciatica. I called the pt back myself and they had to go the OR emergently. Another discharged a 20 month old with a HR of 180 and didn’t even comment on it. I’ve now said I’m not signing any charts unless patients are discussed with me. I don’t think I’ll see all of them but at least we can discuss what normal vitals signs are before the patient goes home. I’m also worried this may make me not seem like a team player so I’m actively looking for another job. I’d happily work nights for less money and see 1-2 an hour alone. At least when I get sued, I want it to be my own doing.

A place I used to work was heavily staffed with midlevels and this kind of thing would happen not infrequently. So the admin instituted a policy where the RN was required to recheck vitals on all discharges and pause the d/c if there was anything abnormal. Saved asses multiple times. Maybe something for your shop to consider.

A place I used to work was heavily staffed with midlevels and this kind of thing would happen not infrequently. So the admin instituted a policy where the RN was required to recheck vitals on all discharges and pause the d/c if there was anything abnormal. Saved asses multiple times. Maybe something for your shop to consider.
The problem here was nobody could be bothered to look up normal vitals for that age range and nobody recognized that it was abnormal

The problem here was nobody could be bothered to look up normal vitals for that age range and nobody recognized that it was abnormal

Yeah...hence a policy making the RN directly responsible for doing just that. While I generally want fewer "policies" and "rules" in the ED, this one makes sense.

Put a laminated card with reference ranges on the vitals machine for them to look at. Done.

Yeah...hence a policy making the RN directly responsible for doing just that. While I generally want fewer "policies" and "rules" in the ED, this one makes sense.

Put a laminated card with reference ranges on the vitals machine for them to look at. Done.

I routinely enter orders that vitals are to be rechecked before the patient is discharged and they are to be held if the vitals are not within normal limits. I will do this on patients that I think are fine to go home but have abnormal vitals on triage. I suspect that these vitals are usually due to nursing taking the heart rate immediately after the patient walks across the room. However I cannot be sure. Many, many, many times the nurse will send the patient home without rechecking vitals.

I can only hope that this will give me a leg to stand on at some future deposition.

Reactions: 1 users
I read in some recent article in NEJM, or a blog quoting NEJM or something.... that health care utilization would not decrease if patients had more "skin in the game" in the US. I suspect its more complicated than that because I am 100% certain our ED volumes where I work would go down by 10-15% if we charged a co-pay. I also read, in that same article if I recall, that other countries don't use health-care more than we do on average

All humor aside, I do think an appropriate co-pay would be about $20. I personally feel everyone who sees a doctor should pay a little bit of money. It should not be "free".

I think the issue isn't so much that folks come to the ER for silly complaints, or that the UCs and telehealth shops encourage more frivolous visits, but that physicians aren't empowered to say "hey, I understand your concern, but you are fine, you don't need antibiotics and a head CT and a CP rule out, time to go home." I'm all for people coming in to make sure they are OK- I just think they should have to leave after we tell them they are OK. It's not the patients, but the pressure for overtreatment from a legal and admin perspective that's most troubling.

The other night I had a nice dad come in with his two year old, worried about her fever. She was fine, I said so, he said he felt better that a doc had seen her and was utterly happy with the care (it took five minutes) and went home. That is a perfectly reasonable use of resources to me. It's the pressure from everyone to do more for nothing that's awful.

It seems like this is something a semi-functional EMR could do. Oh, wait....

New attending here reading all this and can relate and I’m scared @hitless. Signed at a high acuity shop and I was told the PAs were “amazing” so I came in trusting them. Well good thing I read all my charts in detail. PA discharged a cauda equina as sciatica. I called the pt back myself and they had to go the OR emergently.

So the chart had physical exam findings of cauda equina? I find this interesting! A chart review verified an emergency! What was on the physical exam that suggested cauda equina??

So the chart had physical exam findings of cauda equina? I find this interesting! A chart review verified an emergency! What was on the physical exam that suggested cauda equina??
No. It was a 60 year old with prior hx of back pain. Came in and honestly the only thing in the hpi was back pain and numbness. They had some m neg ROS which is unclear if they actually asked those questions or just committed fraud in light of what happened next. They documented a normal neuro exam and normal gait. Dc with motrin. I didn’t like that the patient had not had a recent ct ruling out AAA. So I just called them myself and they came in during my shift. Grossly abnormal neuro exam including abnormal gait. MRI. Then OR.

physicians aren't empowered to say "hey, I understand your concern, but you are fine, you don't need antibiotics and a head CT and a CP rule out, time to go home." I'm all for people coming in to make sure they are OK- I just think they should have to leave after we tell them they are OK.

This is the single hardest aspect of Emergency Medicine, if not all fields of medicine. Just say no.

Just the other day I asked my hospitalist "why is it so hard to say 'no' to patients? I couldn't say no to an ER patient I had 30 minutes ago." He said he has the same problem on the floor - very hard to say no. Patients have too much power.

Last edited:
This is the single hardest aspect of Emergency Medicine, if not all fields of medicine. Just say no.

Just the other day I asked my hospitalist "why is it so hard to say 'no' to patients? I couldn't say no to his ER patient I had 30 minutes ago." He said he has the same problem on the floor - very hard to say no. Patients have too much power.

The patients are just responding to a dysfunctional system. It's the lawyers and administrators who have too much power.

No. It was a 60 year old with prior hx of back pain. Came in and honestly the only thing in the hpi was back pain and numbness. They had some m neg ROS which is unclear if they actually asked those questions or just committed fraud in light of what happened next. They documented a normal neuro exam and normal gait. Dc with motrin. I didn’t like that the patient had not had a recent ct ruling out AAA. So I just called them myself and they came in during my shift. Grossly abnormal neuro exam including abnormal gait. MRI. Then OR.

Back pain scares me. I have a really cool video of a patient with a wildly abnormal gait and no back pain (reported or on palpation). Ultimately an MRI of the entire spine is obtained the lesion was in the cervical spine. WTF?

Thankfully MRI was available at that hospital. This is an absolute nightmare at hospitals without MRI (or MRI available from the ED).

We have a system where the RN has to ask and document they notified the physician of any abnormal vital signs. Gets frustrating being informed BP is 180 on discharge. I agree that this type of system saves a lot of discharges where vital signs have changed significantly.

This problem is not isolated to APP's. I've seen patients examined by a physician at outside hospitals, not be happy with the care they received, come to my facility (tertiary facility) and have grossly abnormal findings. When you get a fax of the chart or pull up the chart with Epic Care Everywhere, they document normal findings. This happened with a case last week where a patient clearly had a markedly abnormal neuro exam after leaving the previous ER <1 hour prior to my evaluation. Thoracic MRI had a tumor invading into the spinal canal with cord compression.

BRTky.jpg

Great story, bro.

BRTky.jpg

Great story, bro.

RustedFox, I don’t know if you’re burned out or whatever but your bitterness is concerning and kinda sad. There’s no reason to demean and belittle a good PA just participating in some intellectual banter and explaining, respectfully, the MLP side.

At the risk of you mocking me for acting like a bad ass - I have been a PA for three years so far, always learning and trying to get better, and the docs in my ER and I have a great relationship. They have happily guided me when I needed assistance, and I have been eager to learn whatever they have to teach me. They are grateful for the extra hands especially in the fast track, or for help in the main ER when their zone is full or their maxed out with critical patients or they just want to GTFO and go home. They ask me and the other PAs, who they also trust, even to pick up unstable patients. They ask me to do their procedures like suturing and LPs and I and Ds. I don’t advocate for independence for PAs and I LIKE playing the assistant role in those cases - we are a team (although I manage most things on my own). Although some days I feel like I know nothing, I have learned to recognize sick versus not sick, and I listen to my spidey sense. Therefore I talk to the docs about 15% of cases, maybe more if in the main ER. In the fast track area this year I have caught five carotid artery dissections in young females that my attendings have praised me for because they feel they would have missed them. I recently CTAed an old lady with flank pain who “strained my back putting the damn fitted sheet on my bed” because she was hiccuping and my spidey sense kicked in... she had a massive PE / pulmonary infarct. I had a 50 year old come in with a sore throat for a month - throat looked normal. I could have just DCed the guy but had the heebie jeebies and learned he has also lost a lot of weight; I found that he had pancreatic cancer with lung mets (not an emergency but still good pick up nonetheless). Recently a 29 year old with a sudden onset of generalized weakness, syncope, “feeling weird and think I am having a heart attack” - he had elevated troponins too. Attending thought it could be aortic dissection so we scanned the chest, abdomen, and pelvis. Negative. EKG showed no changes. We were puzzled.But I knew to keep frequently evaluating a patient like this. On a third eval, he was clutching his head (yet never complained of a headache or any neurological symptoms really). Scanned his head and the problem was acute subarachnoid hemorrhage; he died eleven days later. Attending said he wouldn’t have caught that one either. He was proud of me. I don’t always get it right and I am sure sometimes I ask inane questions, but what I am trying to say here is that some of us PAs are smart, conscientious, and capable of picking up on subtle presentations of badness. Some of us know when to consult our attending. Some of us are eager to learn. Some of us realize that although our training was good we can’t possibly be as competent as a doc, so we always have to be on our toes.

It would be hard as a doc to have to sign charts of providers you don’t trust. I wouldn’t want to either. If your APPs suck, notify administration about your concerns. Ultimately they need to be fired if they don’t step it up (really). Before it gets to that point they need to be heavily supervised and have their charts audited to ensure competency. Take the proper channels like referring these bad cases you mention to the performance improvement committee or quality committee so that the PA can be investigated. For the good ones who care and want to learn, be open to teaching and supervising because ultimately a competent PA you trust only makes your job easier and makes the department run smoother. We can be useful to you. We can make your shifts easier and more enjoyable. Give us a chance!

PS Don’t get me started on FNPs, though... now FNP training is a joke and I have no freaking clue how they are even staffing ERs legally given their scope of practice and zero ER training.

RustedFox, I don’t know if you’re burned out or whatever but your bitterness is concerning and kinda sad. There’s no reason to demean and belittle a good PA just participating in some intellectual banter and explaining, respectfully, the MLP side.

At the risk of you mocking me for acting like a bad ass - I have been a PA for three years so far, always learning and trying to get better, and the docs in my ER and I have a great relationship. They have happily guided me when I needed assistance, and I have been eager to learn whatever they have to teach me. They are grateful for the extra hands especially in the fast track, or for help in the main ER when their zone is full or their maxed out with critical patients or they just want to GTFO and go home. They ask me and the other PAs, who they also trust, even to pick up unstable patients. They ask me to do their procedures like suturing and LPs and I and Ds. I don’t advocate for independence for PAs and I LIKE playing the assistant role in those cases - we are a team (although I manage most things on my own). Although some days I feel like I know nothing, I have learned to recognize sick versus not sick, and I listen to my spidey sense. Therefore I talk to the docs about 15% of cases, maybe more if in the main ER. In the fast track area this year I have caught five carotid artery dissections in young females that my attendings have praised me for because they feel they would have missed them. I recently CTAed an old lady with flank pain who “strained my back putting the damn fitted sheet on my bed” because she was hiccuping and my spidey sense kicked in... she had a massive PE / pulmonary infarct. I had a 50 year old come in with a sore throat for a month - throat looked normal. I could have just DCed the guy but had the heebie jeebies and learned he has also lost a lot of weight; I found that he had pancreatic cancer with lung mets (not an emergency but still good pick up nonetheless). Recently a 29 year old with a sudden onset of generalized weakness, syncope, “feeling weird and think I am having a heart attack” - he had elevated troponins too. Attending thought it could be aortic dissection so we scanned the chest, abdomen, and pelvis. Negative. EKG showed no changes. We were puzzled.But I knew to keep frequently evaluating a patient like this. On a third eval, he was clutching his head (yet never complained of a headache or any neurological symptoms really). Scanned his head and the problem was acute subarachnoid hemorrhage; he died eleven days later. Attending said he wouldn’t have caught that one either. He was proud of me. I don’t always get it right and I am sure sometimes I ask inane questions, but what I am trying to say here is that some of us PAs are smart, conscientious, and capable of picking up on subtle presentations of badness. Some of us know when to consult our attending. Some of us are eager to learn. Some of us realize that although our training was good we can’t possibly be as competent as a doc, so we always have to be on our toes.

It would be hard as a doc to have to sign charts of providers you don’t trust. I wouldn’t want to either. If your APPs suck, notify administration about your concerns. Ultimately they need to be fired if they don’t step it up (really). Before it gets to that point they need to be heavily supervised and have their charts audited to ensure competency. Take the proper channels like referring these bad cases you mention to the performance improvement committee or quality committee so that the PA can be investigated. For the good ones who care and want to learn, be open to teaching and supervising because ultimately a competent PA you trust only makes your job easier and makes the department run smoother. We can be useful to you. We can make your shifts easier and more enjoyable. Give us a chance!

PS Don’t get me started on FNPs, though... now FNP training is a joke and I have no freaking clue how they are even staffing ERs legally given their scope of practice and zero ER training.

1. I'm not bitter and burned-out, as stated elsewhere. Thanks for your concern, coming from all 3 of your years of experience.
2. Nice catches. Its what we do. Keep going, and you'll have too many "nice catch" stories to remember. I hope you don't wind up like those examples that I enumerate here and elesewhere. Again, I have mentioned that I have worked with "adequate" and "good" MLPs. Maybe you're one of them. Sadly, they're the exception and not the norm. Yes, "good ones are good" and "bad ones are bad". We all get that. Remember: its the MLP's level of competence and attitude that will dictate how they're treated. In ten years and six job sites, I've ran across precious few that know what they don't know, and don't have an attitude about it. It generally gets worse as they get older.
3. "Notify administration?!" That's cute. I might get a non-actionable response next year, after its been filtered thru 3 to 4 rounds of people who don't really care because they're not responsible. Furthermore... Stop. Do you hear yourself ? IT SHOULDN'T BE THAT COMPLICATED. Psst. That's what administrators do... they take things that are simple and complicate them while taking a large salary for doing very little work. Here's how the situation should be handled.

MD: "Hey, there's no knee exam in this chart! Needs to be fixed, and don't do that again."
PA: "Gotcha. Yes, sir."

That's all you need. Job done.

You're whole notion of: "notify, proper channels, auditing to ensure competency" is a nice fairytale. I've read that book so many times! The book is more useful if you throw it at a PA that won't listen because "they need to feel respected like the professional that they are".

4. Five young females all with dissections? Sounds like there's another practitioner in town with a fake degree that likes to manipulate c-spines.
5. Good luck. I hope you learned something here.

Last edited:
Yep. All of these were females in their 20s and 30s. Three recently had chiropractic treatment in the last week. One was status post minor MVA, Hit her head on the car window, went to an urgent care and was seen by actually a pretty good provider and was sent home but came back and saw us because she had vertigo and worsening headache. Then the other one was a total zebra. It was actually a migraine patient who came in with complaints of a really bad headache, that actually started suddenly and was maximal onset, and she had facial pain which was unusual for her. So what I was thinking was subarachnoid hemorrhage, turns out that was a dissection too. WTF.

Yep. All of these were females in their 20s and 30s. Three recently had chiropractic treatment in the last week. One was status post minor MVA, Hit her head on the car window, went to an urgent care and was seen by actually a pretty good provider and was sent home but came back and saw us because she had vertigo and worsening headache. Then the other one was a total zebra. It was actually a migraine patient who came in with complaints of a really bad headache, that actually started suddenly and was maximal onset, and she had facial pain which was unusual for her. So what I was thinking was subarachnoid hemorrhage, turns out that was a dissection too. WTF.
Lol that sounds exactly like a board question for subarachnoid hemorrhage. Who knew.

Ha I was thinking the same thing.

Me too. I've diagnosed 3 aortic dissections in 8 years.

One was memorable...."I'm 60 years old. I have Marfans. All my family who has Marfans died at the age of 60. I'm having chest pain and I'm having problems moving my left leg."

That chiropracter image in loop above is making me dizzy. It's giving me a vertebral dissection just looking at it.

As an EM applicant reading this stuff...should I just work in academics forever...? *ducks*

You think they're any better? Just look at the proliferation of these massive hospital systems in the past 10 or more years. The academic centers are buying up everything in their sphere and starting to act like regional CMGs in their own way. They will pay you less, require more in terms of meetings and other unpaid admin tasks, may require you to do some kind of scholarly activity even if you are "clinical."

You think they're any better? Just look at the proliferation of these massive hospital systems in the past 10 or more years. The academic centers are buying up everything in their sphere and starting to act like regional CMGs in their own way. They will pay you less, require more in terms of meetings and other unpaid admin tasks, may require you to do some kind of scholarly activity even if you are "clinical."

Yes, they’re better. Some pay you fairly. And any money that is skimmed off the top is going to something I believe in (research or education) instead of some suit’s pocket.

Yes, they’re better. Some pay you fairly. And any money that is skimmed off the top is going to something I believe in (research or education) instead of some suit’s pocket.

Yeah? Where does the $$$ for hospital acquisitions come from? How much is your hospital's C-suite making? How many admins are there?

I've worked for a hospital system before. It's not any better. Pay was middling. ED docs had basically no autonomy because they were completely controlled by the C-suites at every level. We were ordered to take all sorts of dangerous transfers, even inpatient to ED. We had no say in anything at all, from staffing, to salary, to midlevel supervision.

I've worked for a hospital system before. It's not any better. Pay was middling. ED docs had basically no autonomy because they were completely controlled by the C-suites at every level. We were ordered to take all sorts of dangerous transfers, even inpatient to ED. We had no say in anything at all, from staffing, to salary, to midlevel supervision.

Inpatient to ED told to accept by c-suite would lead to a polite email informing them that they are encouaging violating emtala. If the response isn’t swift, it would be a quick forward to submit an emtala complaint cc’ing said email.

I like my hospital system much better than a CMG. It's not perfect, but thus far there are no midlevels, we have reasonable autonomy, and excellent benefits. The docs are better, too, although they have hired a couple of sketch Caribbean grads. IME employment is better than CMGs, although YMMV.

I like my hospital system much better than a CMG. It's not perfect, but thus far there are no midlevels, we have reasonable autonomy, and excellent benefits. The docs are better, too, although they have hired a couple of sketch Caribbean grads. IME employment is better than CMGs, although YMMV.
Aren't the "sketch Caribbean" US residency trained? FM or EM? Because, I'm a "sketch" Carib FMG, and trained at a reputable US program.

Aren't the "sketch Caribbean" US residency trained? FM or EM? Because, I'm a "sketch" Carib FMG, and trained at a reputable US program.

They of course had to do US residencies. They are consultants, not EM docs- perhaps EM residencies are more standardized. The new hire is in a surgical subspecialty and had to consult both the ED and the hospitalist service on how to manage a run-of-the mill DVT. Presumably this is a result of her GME training, not her Caribbean experience. But, insane that a residency would graduate such a person.

I don't get why people go to the Caribbean- seems insanely expensive and very limiting career-wise (what if you only like ortho or neurosurgery or cardiology?) and hard to get into reputable residencies in in most fields, if not EM. But, to each his own.

I went to "the best of the worst" during the so-called "golden age". I only applied to two foreign schools, and got into one, after years and years of rejection on the mainland.

It's true American medical schools were more competitive 20 years ago- now they are sprouting like mushrooms, especially DO schools. But it's never been THAT hard to get into US schools, and pretty easy for DO, which to me seems a better option. Then there's Sackler, Ireland, UK, Italy, Hungary. I just don't get the Caribbean thing, except for rich kids whose parents will pay and who can help them find a residency.

But, glad it worked out. Sadly, our Caribbean hires have either had personality issues or intelligence issues, although that happens with mainland grads, too. My one Caribbean EM friend has 350k in debt. Nuts.

The real problem with midlevel "supervision" is that we are really not in charge of them and don't make money off of them in 90% of workplaces today.

So why should we be held liable for their actions, especially for a patient we never saw? If they mess up that should be SOLELY on them and the entity that decided to hire them. In that scenario I'd be fine with it.

In terms of PA vs NP-- sure, PA training is superior, but really how superior can it be with 24 months? Sure, it's better than a janitor but still.... it's 2 years!! I'm fairly sure if we took a decent high-schooler and taught them the basic algorithms in any specialty they could do "enough" that the suits would be happy to have them bill and bodies would only "occasionally" wash up.

All I can say is medicine is getting more and more *f-ed* up in this country between the corporate takeover of medicine, the insane regulations and the wholesale watering-down of medical training by everyone and their cousin. It's getting to the point that a *real* doctor in a 3rd world country who actually did some real training will be preferable, even though all they have is a few cheap tools, a notebook and a bag of pills they carry around.