Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Revoking acceptances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TexPre-Med, Dec 10, 2005.

1. TexPre-Med

TexPre-Med Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think it would take for a school to pull your acceptance? I'm sure an Ivy school would be more strict, but who knows. Anyone heard of anyone that had their acceptance revoked?

I'm not really worried or anything, just curious. This may have been mentioned before, but this is the first year that it would pertain to me.

2. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Felonies.

3. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    Bamboozlement

4. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1. What Brett said.
    2. Not completing the rest of your education in a satisfactory matter.
    3. "relations" with the adcom spouses.

dc

5. TexPre-Med

TexPre-Med Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    But what is a satisfactory manner?

6. Generally, just graduate in good standing with the degree they expected you to get, without major disciplinary action.

7. Sooz

Sooz Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Convicted of or charged with? Two very different things...or is the charge enough to put med. schools off?

8. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    tell us what you did and then we'll tell you

9. Sooz

Sooz Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hehe..you want the juicy details huh ;)

I didn't do anything, but about 10 years ago I was charged with something like 3 counts of felony theft from a store I managed. Soon after the charges were filed they found out that another employee had gotten my pin number and did some nasty things with it. All charges were of course dropped, and the company I worked for had it all "sealed" so it supposedly wouldn't show up...but regardless, I was indeed charged with multiple counts of felony theft.

10. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well in responding to the OP an acceptances would be revoked if they committed a new felony.

In your case it is a past issue and would probably be brought up during the interview if it was an issue.

11. sscooterguy

sscooterguy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmm, I don't think a charge will do it, most likely a conviction. Thats what the applications ask for. They don't ever ask if you're charged for anything. Plus, you could probably go after the school for kicking you out, as you are supposed to be innocent until PROVEN guilty, that is unless you are subsequently proven guilty. That's my two cents on that.

What else could get you kicked out? Proven cheating, failure of prerequisits that you told them you would finish, failure to meet requirements for graduation. You could probably get kicked out if they find out you lied on your application for whatever reason, whether it was a publication you fabricated, to bold faced lies that you were the defensive linebacker of the year when you didn't even play. Thats all I could think of. Even DUI's AFTER you get in probaby won't get you kicked out. My school will even forgive drug abuse, ONCE, and only if you bring it to them before they catch it during the background check (just implemented in the last 2-3 years). Here you have to go through rehab even if it was a one time deal, and if you get caught twice, thats it. Hope you or anyone you know doesn't have any of these issues.

sscooterguy

12. Sooz

Sooz Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow, quick reply..Thanks Brett! :)

That is kind of what I thought, I've only talked to a few schools about this and they didn't think it would be an issue, but it's always nice to hear some reassurance. :)

13. Sooz

Sooz Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thank you for the quick reply to my question, and especially the info. about them not asking about charges, only convictions. There is no chance I will be convicted of those...was about 10 years ago and they caught the idiot that was stealing.

14. pcarlson05

pcarlson05 Member
    7+ Year Member

A buddy of mine had an offer rescinded when he failed to disclose that he got an MIP (they asked about misdemeanors on the app). But he got into another med school that didn't ask, so everything turned out ok for him.

15. DrMike24

DrMike24 eat, drink, and be merry
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some schools do indeed ask you if you have ever been charged with anything. It all depends on the school.

16. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some ask if you've been CHARGED.. others only ask if you've been CONVICTED. Big difference. Just answer honestly.

17. RunnerMD

RunnerMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

#17 RunnerMD, Dec 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  18. sscooterguy

sscooterguy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes just talk to the school to make sure, but you won't have a problem. They won't mind you changing plans, especially if you are going to do what you say. If you told us that you were actually living at home slacking off, then that would be another issue. I have friends who were supposed to do teaching fellowships, but because of unexpected family issues, they had to work full time instead. The schools didn't care.

sscooterguy

19. theblastopore

theblastopore Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I actually put down on my application that I'm taking certain classes and getting a second bachelor degree. But I am in financial problem and won't be able to take classes. I wonder if that'll revoke my (potential) acceptance? Should I talk to all schools that I've interviewed at or wait until I have an acceptance?

20. chandelantern

chandelantern MSI at Mayo in August!
    5+ Year Member

I also heard that a UC resinded their offer to someone who took her whole senior year P/NP (but also had other "issues" too that I am not aware of.) I am planning on taking one or two classes P/NP, but the rest for a grade so I still show satisfactory effort. Also, one school (i think Loyola) said that you had to maintain previous academic performance or something like that.

21. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

Yeah, my roommate at Rice got a couple of C's on his 2nd semester transcript and he is an MS3 now at Harvard

22. Avalanche21

Avalanche21 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

That sucks that you almost got in trouble for what some other guy did. I stay out of legal stuff, it's usually beyond me. But out of curiosity (and please excuse my ignorance), what's the difference between being charged and convicted?

23. Sooz

Sooz Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, it was pretty nerve-racking, in retrospect it was really unfair to me and I probably should have looked into some legal recourse. Oh well, that's all behind me now (unless it's a problem with med. school) :scared:

Anyway, convicted means you either plead guilty to or were found guilty of the charges that you were charged with. Being charged with a crime is when certain charges are brought against you with initial evidence, then with enough evidence you would either go to court and possibly trial (and if found guilty convicted) or just plead guilty to the charges. At that point you would be convicted of that crime/crimes.

Charged with but not convicted (as in my case) is when the charges are brought against you but either new evidence is found (that proves you couldn't have done anything wrong--as in my case), or they don't have enough evidence (they feel) to press on to trial. I'm not a legal expert by any means so some of this might not be exact, but I think it is the general way that charged with and convited of work.