Revoking acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do you think it would take for a school to pull your acceptance? I'm sure an Ivy school would be more strict, but who knows. Anyone heard of anyone that had their acceptance revoked?

I'm not really worried or anything, just curious. This may have been mentioned before, but this is the first year that it would pertain to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Bamboozlement

Members don't see this ad :)
1. What Brett said.
2. Not completing the rest of your education in a satisfactory matter.
3. "relations" with the adcom spouses.

dc

But what is a satisfactory manner?

TexPre-Med said:
But what is a satisfactory manner?

Generally, just graduate in good standing with the degree they expected you to get, without major disciplinary action.

BrettBatchelor said:
Felonies.

Convicted of or charged with? Two very different things...or is the charge enough to put med. schools off?

Sooz said:
Convicted of or charged with? Two very different things...or is the charge enough to put med. schools off?
tell us what you did and then we'll tell you

exmike said:
tell us what you did and then we'll tell you

hehe..you want the juicy details huh ;)

I didn't do anything, but about 10 years ago I was charged with something like 3 counts of felony theft from a store I managed. Soon after the charges were filed they found out that another employee had gotten my pin number and did some nasty things with it. All charges were of course dropped, and the company I worked for had it all "sealed" so it supposedly wouldn't show up...but regardless, I was indeed charged with multiple counts of felony theft.

Sooz said:
hehe..you want the juicy details huh ;)

I didn't do anything, but about 10 years ago I was charged with something like 3 counts of felony theft from a store I managed. Soon after the charges were filed they found out that another employee had gotten my pin number and did some nasty things with it. All charges were of course dropped, and the company I worked for had it all "sealed" so it supposedly wouldn't show up...but regardless, I was indeed charged with multiple counts of felony theft.
Well in responding to the OP an acceptances would be revoked if they committed a new felony.

In your case it is a past issue and would probably be brought up during the interview if it was an issue.

Hmm, I don't think a charge will do it, most likely a conviction. Thats what the applications ask for. They don't ever ask if you're charged for anything. Plus, you could probably go after the school for kicking you out, as you are supposed to be innocent until PROVEN guilty, that is unless you are subsequently proven guilty. That's my two cents on that.

What else could get you kicked out? Proven cheating, failure of prerequisits that you told them you would finish, failure to meet requirements for graduation. You could probably get kicked out if they find out you lied on your application for whatever reason, whether it was a publication you fabricated, to bold faced lies that you were the defensive linebacker of the year when you didn't even play. Thats all I could think of. Even DUI's AFTER you get in probaby won't get you kicked out. My school will even forgive drug abuse, ONCE, and only if you bring it to them before they catch it during the background check (just implemented in the last 2-3 years). Here you have to go through rehab even if it was a one time deal, and if you get caught twice, thats it. Hope you or anyone you know doesn't have any of these issues.

sscooterguy

BrettBatchelor said:
Well in responding to the OP an acceptances would be revoked if they committed a new felony.

In your case it is a past issue and would probably be brought up during the interview if it was an issue.

Wow, quick reply..Thanks Brett! :)

That is kind of what I thought, I've only talked to a few schools about this and they didn't think it would be an issue, but it's always nice to hear some reassurance. :)

sscooterguy said:
Hmm, I don't think a charge will do it, most likely a conviction. Thats what the applications ask for. They don't ever ask if you're charged for anything. Plus, you could probably go after the school for kicking you out, as you are supposed to be innocent until PROVEN guilty, that is unless you are subsequently proven guilty. That's my two cents on that.

What else could get you kicked out? Proven cheating, failure of prerequisits that you told them you would finish, failure to meet requirements for graduation. You could probably get kicked out if they find out you lied on your application for whatever reason, whether it was a publication you fabricated, to bold faced lies that you were the defensive linebacker of the year when you didn't even play. Thats all I could think of. Even DUI's AFTER you get in probaby won't get you kicked out. My school will even forgive drug abuse, ONCE, and only if you bring it to them before they catch it during the background check (just implemented in the last 2-3 years). Here you have to go through rehab even if it was a one time deal, and if you get caught twice, thats it. Hope you or anyone you know doesn't have any of these issues.

sscooterguy

Thank you for the quick reply to my question, and especially the info. about them not asking about charges, only convictions. There is no chance I will be convicted of those...was about 10 years ago and they caught the idiot that was stealing.

Members don't see this ad :)
A buddy of mine had an offer rescinded when he failed to disclose that he got an MIP (they asked about misdemeanors on the app). But he got into another med school that didn't ask, so everything turned out ok for him.

sscooterguy said:
They don't ever ask if you're charged for anything.

Some schools do indeed ask you if you have ever been charged with anything. It all depends on the school.

Some ask if you've been CHARGED.. others only ask if you've been CONVICTED. Big difference. Just answer honestly.

Last edited:
Yes just talk to the school to make sure, but you won't have a problem. They won't mind you changing plans, especially if you are going to do what you say. If you told us that you were actually living at home slacking off, then that would be another issue. I have friends who were supposed to do teaching fellowships, but because of unexpected family issues, they had to work full time instead. The schools didn't care.

sscooterguy

RunnerMD said:
Hmm...while we're on this topic--maybe you guys might know the answer. I've already graduated, but was gonna take a class or two next semester in a grad program. When they ask on your app and in your interview the standard, "well since you're not in school, what are you doing?" question, I responded by saying I'm working full time, volunteering, and am planning on taking some courses next semester.

Well since then, I've been accepted, but I was offered an opportunity to write a few chapters for a book a physician (also author) is working on. While I'd still like to take the classes, I was primarily taking them to enhance my app in case I was waitlisted, and I really don't think I can do the writing AND take the courses. If I don't take the classes, would that be grounds to revoke my acceptance? I never specifically said, I'm taking courses X and Y and will be obtaining X degree because of it. It was more of a general/vague idea thing. Should I just talk to the schools?

I actually put down on my application that I'm taking certain classes and getting a second bachelor degree. But I am in financial problem and won't be able to take classes. I wonder if that'll revoke my (potential) acceptance? Should I talk to all schools that I've interviewed at or wait until I have an acceptance?

I also heard that a UC resinded their offer to someone who took her whole senior year P/NP (but also had other "issues" too that I am not aware of.) I am planning on taking one or two classes P/NP, but the rest for a grade so I still show satisfactory effort. Also, one school (i think Loyola) said that you had to maintain previous academic performance or something like that.

Telemachus said:
Generally, just graduate in good standing with the degree they expected you to get, without major disciplinary action.

Yeah, my roommate at Rice got a couple of C's on his 2nd semester transcript and he is an MS3 now at Harvard

Sooz said:

That sucks that you almost got in trouble for what some other guy did. I stay out of legal stuff, it's usually beyond me. But out of curiosity (and please excuse my ignorance), what's the difference between being charged and convicted?

Avalanche21 said:
That sucks that you almost got in trouble for what some other guy did. I stay out of legal stuff, it's usually beyond me. But out of curiosity (and please excuse my ignorance), what's the difference between being charged and convicted?

Yeah, it was pretty nerve-racking, in retrospect it was really unfair to me and I probably should have looked into some legal recourse. Oh well, that's all behind me now (unless it's a problem with med. school) :scared:

Anyway, convicted means you either plead guilty to or were found guilty of the charges that you were charged with. Being charged with a crime is when certain charges are brought against you with initial evidence, then with enough evidence you would either go to court and possibly trial (and if found guilty convicted) or just plead guilty to the charges. At that point you would be convicted of that crime/crimes.

Charged with but not convicted (as in my case) is when the charges are brought against you but either new evidence is found (that proves you couldn't have done anything wrong--as in my case), or they don't have enough evidence (they feel) to press on to trial. I'm not a legal expert by any means so some of this might not be exact, but I think it is the general way that charged with and convited of work.