Revolving schedule and college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gatewayhoward

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm very frustrated. I yet another paramedic who's just about to begin college(returning) while working. I work for a very large company that does 911 and interfacility. I've only been an EMTP for 8 months so I'm DYING for experience, but I can't figure out how to work the EMS schedule while taking even as few as two classes at once. So I'm still stuck doing interfacility because I have a set schedule this way but it's completely devoid of challenge. People just keep saying to trade shifts. But how do you constantly trade shifts for years on end? Is there another way?
 
Gatewayhoward said:
I'm very frustrated. I yet another paramedic who's just about to begin college(returning) while working. I work for a very large company that does 911 and interfacility. I've only been an EMTP for 8 months so I'm DYING for experience, but I can't figure out how to work the EMS schedule while taking even as few as two classes at once. So I'm still stuck doing interfacility because I have a set schedule this way but it's completely devoid of challenge. People just keep saying to trade shifts. But how do you constantly trade shifts for years on end? Is there another way?

I don't know where the "usual suspects" from Pre-hospital EMS have been ... but my 2 cents:

Don't let 911 interfere with your grades.

They way I got through it was working 2 part time 911 jobs for the two years I was in school. That gave me full time hours but part time flexibility. I wouldn't really recommend it.

EMS really did delay me, I got a bad grade in orgo that I had to repeat because I was off saving the world. I did end up getting into MD school so it did work out, but I made it harder then it had to be.

In hindsight, I would have rather had better grades then more calls ... because right now my lack of biochem/biology background is kicking my a$$.

I think the best time to feed the 911 monster is between the time you have applied and matriculate (after MCAT, after pre-reqs, Aug -> Aug). Go crazy with shifts and make yourself nice and crispy with burnout. You can see a lot of fun stuff in a year.
 
I agree with viostorm. I'm in the same position right now, doing postbacc/medic school and trying to get work hours at the same time. It's tough, but I've found that the only real solution is to go part time. My company (AMR) lets part-timers pick shifts off the schedule a few weeks in advance as they become available, plus all the employees have pagers and they are constantly paging out open shifts. With this part-time thing, I get minimal benefits which kinda sucks, but I can work pretty much any time I want, as much as I want-- and I have no obligation to any set shifts. Last week I worked 50 hours (ALS 911 rigs), this week I'm only working 1 12 hour shift because I have a few exams.

DONT try and make school conform to a rotating work schedule. It'll catch up to you, I promise.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gatewayhoward said:
I'm very frustrated. I yet another paramedic who's just about to begin college(returning) while working. I work for a very large company that does 911 and interfacility. I've only been an EMTP for 8 months so I'm DYING for experience, but I can't figure out how to work the EMS schedule while taking even as few as two classes at once. So I'm still stuck doing interfacility because I have a set schedule this way but it's completely devoid of challenge. People just keep saying to trade shifts. But how do you constantly trade shifts for years on end? Is there another way?

Work part time. You'll still get experience. It's not worth sacrificing your grades for working.

I worked various shifts, to include 8 hours shifts on Friday nights, 8, 16, or 24 hour shifts on Saturdays, and 8 or 16 hour shifts on Sundays.
 
Gatewayhoward said:
I'm very frustrated. I yet another paramedic who's just about to begin college(returning) while working. I work for a very large company that does 911 and interfacility. I've only been an EMTP for 8 months so I'm DYING for experience, but I can't figure out how to work the EMS schedule while taking even as few as two classes at once. So I'm still stuck doing interfacility because I have a set schedule this way but it's completely devoid of challenge. People just keep saying to trade shifts. But how do you constantly trade shifts for years on end? Is there another way?


I am in college now working full time 24/48's. I trade days, for instance; I work two unit and in a given quarter I only have classes on my day to work like 5 or 6 times that quarter. Instead of trading and working 48's, I'll just schedule all or most of my classes on one day. Then I'll just flip flop days with a one unit guy. So this way neither of us has to work an extra 24 when it is our day off.

Also think about Vacation time. If you can split it up like taking 6-8 hours at a time, it will go along way.

Hope this helps.
 
I also worked full time throughout college. I averaged 170-180 hours per month working 12's. The first part of my education was done by working 24's, this is much easier because you work so few days per month. Then, I transferred to all night shifts when we went to 12's (traded). This, quite frankly, sucked. Although I am a "night person", I ended up going days on end without sleep (go to school monday, work mon night, school tuesday, work tuesday night, school wednesday...crash wednesday afternoon...), It is much easier early in your academic, and professional, career. When you are just starting to take classes, you have many that you can choose from and can arrange only to take courses that work with your schedule (ie one or two days per week). When you near the end of your degree, you take what courses you need in order to to graduate, whenever they are offered. Likewise, it is difficult if you supervise others or have lots of responsibility with your employer.

Although it all worked out for the best, and I graduated without loans, I am not sure that I would do it the same way again. I loved my job, and always put them first, but I found myself not able to devote 100% to either work or school. They both suffered some.

Consider staying with your current job, working part time if possible, or even taking loans. EMS is exciting, but you need to concentrate on your long term goals.

Whatever you decide, almost any permutation of scheduling is possilbe with enough stamina. Best of luck...
 
i worked a 16 every saturday during my junior and senior year at harvard. my grades went up and i was a happier person in general. maybe took a notch off the social life, but not really.
 
I like the part time route. 3 24hr shifts per month. Making about the same as I did working 30 hrs a week at Best Buy and it leaves me with a lot of time for study. And I still get to work on ALS and 911!