rewriting PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amikhchi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapplying for the 2009 cycle, and i already have my PS from last years, obviously i'm not going to send in a carbon copy of it, but to be honest aside from graduating college, i haven't changed much as a person, i've imporved my gpa a bit, commitd to 2 other volunteer programs (but just barely getting started because of training/orientation/etc) so I'm not sure how i can modify it or add to /remove from it to make it seem "new" to the adcoms.

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am reapplying for the 2009 cycle, and i already have my PS from last years, obviously i'm not going to send in a carbon copy of it, but to be honest aside from graduating college, i haven't changed much as a person, i've imporved my gpa a bit, commitd to 2 other volunteer programs (but just barely getting started because of training/orientation/etc) so I'm not sure how i can modify it or add to /remove from it to make it seem "new" to the adcoms.

any thoughts?

Write a completely new personal statement. Then find what you like best from it and try incorporating it into the current one. Or do the opposite. Write a completely new PS and then go back to the old one, identify things you want to pull out of it and squeeze them into the new one.

I got compliments on my PS last cycle, so I'm trying to screw with a good thing too much. I dropped a paragraph about something I did in college and added a paragraph about what I've been doing since graduating at the end. I worked on the transistions between paragraphs a little bit, but left ~70% unchanged. Everything in there is still true about me, and I spend weeks making sure I said it the best way I could. If I mess with it any more it would quickly become worse than before.