RFU vs Morehouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which school?

  • Morehouse

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Chicago Medical School

    Votes: 19 95.0%

  • Total voters
    20

intotheforest00

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For context, my long-term goal is an academic practice in internal medicine (cardiology eventually) or radiology. I know it's a bit of time away, but I would prefer to complete my residency in Chicago (as I would ideally like to settle down in my hometown).

Morehouse:

Pros
- community & health equity focus
- close with Emory
- tight knit community, smaller class sizes
- Grady clinical rotations
- have a few very close friends in Atlanta

Cons
- HP/P/F and then graded clinical years
- farther away from family support

RFU:

Pros
- P/F
- 100k scholarship
- closer to family/friends (~1hr out from the city)
- rotations at Chicagoland hospitals
- solid and diverse match list

Cons
- no affiliated hospital
- displacement from peer network during 3rd and 4th years
- lower than national step 1 pass rate (87%)


Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!
 
RFU:
Tuition and Fees: $66,481 (per year)
Adjusted from scholarship: $165,924 Total

Morehouse:
Tuition and Fees: $47,716 (per year)
Adjusted: $190,864 Total

Per MSAR, which I'm assuming is using "other" as books/supplies, room and board, etc. the total COA is:

RFU: $357,944 (-100k) = $257,944
Morehouse: $373,700
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm biased since I go to RFU. Though Morehouse is also a good choice, RFU has the better cost. The lack of teaching hospital is no different than Morehouse's situation now that Atlanta Medical Center closed. And while the Step 1 pass rate was low, they changed their last Multisystems class so that it is now a review-focused course for Step 1- I'm personally predicting that pass rate rises >90% this year.
 
You probably made your decision already. But based on your pros and cons, it seems like you prefer RFU a lot more than Morehouse. The p/f and being close to family are huge pros!