postbacpremed87

7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I would love to do my IM residency at a large community hospital but match into a rheum fellowship. Will that be problematic?

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I would love to do my IM residency at a large community hospital but match into a rheum fellowship. Will that be problematic?
It will not be problematic for rheum, endo, ID, nephro, palliative, sleep or similar less competitive specialties. You probably won't match to do your fellowship at UCSF, but if you show an interest in rheumatology, get a couple letters, you'll be fine.

Gpan

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
sleep??? is that a separate fellowship ? I thought that's something you do AFTER you finish the cc/pulm fellowship, no?

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
sleep??? is that a separate fellowship ? I thought that's something you do AFTER you finish the cc/pulm fellowship, no?
1 year fellowship can be done after pulm, or after straight IM... or after FM, psych, neuro, or even ENT. I have a few friends who went straight IM->Sleep.

I think the job market isn't as good, so if you don't have pulm to do it with people do part time sleep part time PCP.

Reactions: Gpan

drfunktacular

ANA ≠ SLE
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
It will not be problematic for rheum, endo, ID, nephro, palliative, sleep or similar less competitive specialties. You probably won't match to do your fellowship at UCSF, but if you show an interest in rheumatology, get a couple letters, you'll be fine.
Agree with this. Rheum is not hard to get, especially if you would be satisfied with a position outside BWH/MGH/JHH/HSS/UCSF