Rhode Island Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuyukachoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at medical schools to apply to, it seems like state-residents are given an advantage over those applying from out of state. That would be great if the only medical school in Rhode Island wasn't Brown. I'm also attending a private university out of state, so I ruined my chance of applying for the Early Identification Program too. Anyone have any advice, I'd really like to go to Brown. Will my residence still give me an advantage even in regular admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Besides having the grades, scores, etc that are average or better than average in comparison with the class admitted last year, adcoms do like some assurance that if asked, you will come to the interview and, if offered, you will matriculate at that school. This is why, sometimes, people with excellent stats get passed over if appears that the application is a "safety". On the other hand, Brown may (I don't know for sure) smile on applicants from the Ocean State knowing that they may want to "come home" for medical school and to stay on to practice in RI. So, the adcom may give you a slight edge over an equally good applicant who has never been east of the Mississippi. On the other hand, some private schools do want a diverse student body so they aren't going to favor hometown boys & girls to the point where you can't get in unless you can navigate your way from Providence to Cranston in the dark, without a map.

:luck:

On the other hand, some private schools do want a diverse student body so they aren't going to favor hometown boys & girls to the point where you can't get in unless you can navigate your way from Providence to Cranston in the dark, without a map.

:luck:

:laugh: You sound familiar with RI, Lizzy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the advice, I'm happy to hear it might give me a leg up, it just sucks to me because UMass is so ridiculously cheap for Mass. residents, and after spending 4 years here in Boston, I still have only Brown to apply too. I would really like to return to RI, it would be a lot cheaper.