Right Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowman065

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My plan: I have recentely been accepted to a B.S. in PA studies at St. John's University, NY. I chose PA studies because they are trained in the medical model, which obviously will help in grad school. I am very interested in podiatry as a proffesion and have a podiatrist lined up to shadow this summer. I also will do comm service, extra currics, and etc.

Question: I am a determined and intellegent student planning on studying my ass off for my undergrad grad classes and MCATs. However, I fear the the PA curriculum will cause harm to my undergrad GPA. Will pod schools, med schools, etc. take the more difficult track into account or should I wait until grad school?

some constructive feedback would be great

Members don't see this ad.

My plan: I have recentely been accepted to a B.S. in PA studies at St. John's University, NY. I chose PA studies because they are trained in the medical model, which obviously will help in grad school. I am very interested in podiatry as a proffesion and have a podiatrist lined up to shadow this summer. I also will do comm service, extra currics, and etc.

Question: I am a determined and intellegent student planning on studying my ass off for my undergrad grad classes and MCATs. However, I fear the the PA curriculum will cause harm to my undergrad GPA. Will pod schools, med schools, etc. take the more difficult track into account or should I wait until grad school?

some constructive feedback would be great

GPA is a very important aspect of the applicaiton but even more important is one's MCAT score (this is true for DPM, MD, DO). If the program prepares you well for the MCAT even is your GPA is effected your MCAt should improve.

Good luck.

PA is only a BS degree? Doesn't it take 2.5yrs of grad school to complete (I think Barry Univ's does)...

Why not just do a 1yr SMP and then apply to pod schools? If you work hard, that shouldn't hurt your GPA and still preps you well for med/pod school.

Members don't see this ad :)
one thing i've learned in college is to never worry about what "could" happen or what this or that school "might" think. Honestly, you really can't lose by going to a school that will prepare you better for your next step (mcat, grad school etc..). Just go to the best school possible, do your best, don't look ahead. Take it one class at a time and don't listen to the nonsense "this school cares about this class more" or "this school cares about this or that more" that you hear from students. Just do your best, work very hard and get the best grades you can. Trust me, you will be fine

PA is only a BS degree? Doesn't it take 2.5yrs of grad school to complete (I think Barry Univ's does)...

Why not just do a 1yr SMP and then apply to pod schools? If you work hard, that shouldn't hurt your GPA and still preps you well for med/pod school.

There are still associate and certificate programs around for PAs. Though I'm sure that these models are being phased out. (3 certificate programs, 4 AA/AS programs, 21 BA/BS programs, 106 MA/MS programs: http://www.arc-pa.org/Acc_Programs/program_data.htm.

From my understanding even if you graduate from with a BS you can sit for the certification board. http://www.pct.edu/catalog/majors/bpa.shtml

There are still associate and certificate programs around for PAs. Though I'm sure that these models are being phased out. (3 certificate programs, 4 AA/AS programs, 21 BA/BS programs, 106 MA/MS programs: http://www.arc-pa.org/Acc_Programs/program_data.htm.

From my understanding even if you graduate from with a BS you can sit for the certification board. http://www.pct.edu/catalog/majors/bpa.shtml

Wow! That is wild; I really had no idea. I too thought that it was only an MS program:eek:

I will sit for the PANCE, I also doubt there are any good jobs for a PA with only a B.S. But if you are planning on med school, pod school, MS in PA, etc. the undergrad experience is probably unmatched.

I will sit for the PANCE, I also doubt there are any good jobs for a PA with only a B.S. But if you are planning on med school, pod school, MS in PA, etc. the undergrad experience is probably unmatched.

That is the catch 22, most jobs require a MS.