PhD/PsyD RIP Albert Bandura

Started by R. Matey
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My dissertation research was in social cognitive theory so I felt this one. I remember a summer in graduate school spent outside on my apartment deck with the library copy of Social Foundations of Thought and Action. Many of his achievements are axioms in the field now, but it was interesting to read about the controversies then. I know I shouldn't like constructs, but I have also found his theoretical work in self-efficacy optimistic and inspirational. Great obit below.

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was thinking about it, but I have it currently setup for woodwork on one side as I am redoing the screened back porch and I am trying to clear the other side up to work on the old sports car I have been neglecting. First world problems...
 
Had he met a child?
Or an adult for that matter. This sounds like the silliness that makes me not like behaviorism even though its pretty much the core of everything I do. If he is anything like some of the behaviorists I know, I'm betting that when pressed, this person would agree that people learn from watching others, but come up with an elaborate and largely non-sensical functional analysis for how that happens that accounts for a narrow subset of modeling, relies on a bunch of wild assumptions and basically describes the exact process non-behaviorists would use to describe modeling but using behaviorist terms, then insist that modeling isn't a thing and behaviorism is the one true religion. Or something like that.

RIP Albert. Never had a chance to meet you, but my colleagues who have always had incredibly positive things to say about you as both a scientist and a human being.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or an adult for that matter. This sounds like the silliness that makes me not like behaviorism even though its pretty much the core of everything I do. If he is anything like some of the behaviorists I know, I'm betting that when pressed, this person would agree that people learn from watching others, but come up with an elaborate and largely non-sensical functional analysis for how that happens that accounts for a narrow subset of modeling, relies on a bunch of wild assumptions, but basically describes the exact process non-behaviorists would use to describe modeling but using behaviorist terms, then insist that modeling isn't a thing and behaviorism is the one true religion. Or something like that.

RIP Albert. Never had a chance to meet you, but my colleagues who have always had incredibly positive things to say about you as both a scientist and a human being.

It's been a long time since I heard his explanation, but your summary is pretty accurate from what I remember.