RIP Scott Lilienfeld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
News starting to filter through ilstservs.

I have never met the guy but admired his work (and I am not much for admiring others). I use his textbook for intro psych, I assign a lot of his readings to my students, and even co-authored a paper related to his work.

I think he was an important and influential figure in clinical science.

RIP

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lilienfeld's work in debunking pseudoscience has been a huge influence on how I approach clinical psychological science. He will indeed be missed.

Reactions: 5 users
Learned of him only through his recent microaggressive critique of, ironically, microaggressions research. Haven't read his earlier work. Thoughts to his family.

I was so very sad to see this news today. I met him in person once and was immediately put at ease - I enjoyed all the things he had hanging in his office.

This might identify me to the very few people who know this anecdote but whatever. He misspelled my name in his editorial role in my first first-author pub. A few years later I was teaching Intro using his textbook and discovered that he not only cited my paper in the book, but he spelled my name right there. I was tickled and really appreciated him thinking to cite me.

He will be missed.

Reactions: 3 users
Learned of him only through his recent microaggressive critique of, ironically, microaggressions research. Haven't read his earlier work. Thoughts to his family.

Not ironic at all. He spent most of his career examining larger concepts in the literature that got by on poor methodology. This area just happens to be one. There are no golden calves in science. You want to be taken seriously as a scientific concept, do the work. He was great at elucidating that.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Met him once at a very small (skeptics - not psychology) conference I attended as an undergrad. Don't think I truly understood how prominent he was at the time, but he was kind, supportive and seemingly elated to see myself and a female friend (both age 20) at a conference that was otherwise almost exclusively 50+ year old men. One of the only ones who seemingly made it a point to come to talk to the young'uns. It meant a lot.

Very sad news for his loved ones and for the field. His attention to scientific rigor was several steps above even most of the elites in the field. He is also one of just a handful of prominent psychologists who walked the careful line between rigorous thinking and rigorous scientific work. Its easy to follow the data, it is quite another to understand that even seemingly solid data may not mean what we think it means. One of the few people brave enough to throw himself on some scientific landmines in an attempt to save the rest of us in the case of some of his criticisms. I imagine many of those came at great personal expense.

He will be missed.

Reactions: 6 users
This was sad news indeed. For those who asked, he died from pancreatic cancer.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user