Rising 4th years..how many schools will you apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarplayer85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Future urologists - how many programs are you planning to apply to in the Urology match? I think there are about 122 programs. For someone with mediocre grades or scores, would it be crazy to apply to like 80-90, if you're willing to spend the money, to give yourself the max possible chance of matching? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

AUA website recommended about 35, but some are saying 50. Anyone have any thoughts?

I haven't had a lot of good advice from program directors and such. A couple of residents told me they applied to 20-30, but that number seems low unless you're a really strong applicant. Most of my classmates are planning on applying to at least 30, most people 30-40.

I know I commented on it in the other thread, but my current list is about 45, though that list needs to be tweaked because I'm not interested in some of the schools and there are others I would like to apply to. I think 50-60 is about what I'll do. I'm not a horribly strong top-tier applicant, but I don't think I'm a real far shot either.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say 50-60 should pretty much be your limit even with low stats. If you don't get enough interviews from that number you won't get enough from 90 either.

I'd say 50-60 should pretty much be your limit even with low stats. If you don't get enough interviews from that number you won't get enough from 90 either.
Agree with this too. I'd stick to 50-60, but tailor the list based upon your perceived competitiveness. Even then, always keep a few top programs on your list (because you never know.)

Kinda disagree with that. If you know you got a 220 and have so so grades and research experience, please don't bother applying to MGH. You aren't going to match there, and that money could be directed to another program at which you are more competitive, or just saved for the trail. Ever dollar is going to be needed, believe me.