Rising Sophomore/ REI Dream Job

Started by deleted586118
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted586118

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am a rising sophomore in high school, and my dream job is to become a reproductive endocrinologist and infertility specialist. Over the past summer I have shadowed a Glaucoma specialist as well as an Orthopedic surgeon but nothing interests me more then the ever rising field of Reproductive Endocrinology. Both my parents are physicians and I'd like to follow in their footsteps. My 18 month old brother was born 13 years after me, naturally, when my mom was 43. His birth changed my family's life so positively that the realization that some couples could not experience the blessing of having a child started to pain me. At that point, I decided I wanted to dedicate my life towards "playing god" and allowing people to experience the same happiness that I did when my brother was born. Needless to say, I have done my research. As it stands now, the field is immensely competitive, with 43/65 applicants getting into some sort of a fellowship. However, as aforementioned, I am very far away from even starting a fellowship (14 years!). I think it is reasonable to expect the competitiveness to change when it comes time to make my change for better or for worse. My question is what can I start doing nowto make my chances of becoming a reproductive endocrinologist much higher than what the vast majority of OBGYN residents currently face?

Thanks!
 
My question is what can I start doing now to make my chances of becoming a reproductive endocrinologist much higher than what the vast majority of OBGYN residents currently face?

Thanks!

Not much. Great to be enthusiastic, but the best you can do is research the field because you're interested and then focus on getting into medical school if you ultimately decide you want to stay the course of being a doctor. Maybe eventually get hooked up in some sort of relevant research down the road.

As you said, you're talking about something more than a decade away. And besides, if I may say so, you very well might change your mind even if it doesn't seem like it. I didn't think I was going to be an emergency physician when I was a high schooler.