Tips for job shadowing

Reaction score
Hello again, everyone! I'm going to try and make this a little shorter than my last post :laugh:

Next Wednesday, I'm going to be shadowing one of my mother's coworkers all day. He is a general surgeon. I've signed all of the forms and I have to go buy scrubs this weekend. I'm super excited, but I have no idea what to expect. On an old thread, I found the BroadcastMed website (which is REALLY COOL, by the way!) and I hope that helps a little. I'm really worried that I might faint or get sick.

I'm just looking for tips on "surviving" my first shadowing experience with a surgeon. Thank you guys so much! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Suggestions, try not to be in the way (realize you will be unintentionally anyway). Don't ask questions in front of patients (who are awake anyway, those the surgeon is operating on obviously are a different case). Be willing to look at everything - you won't get sick because it will be more of a curiosity than anything and you won't associate it with the inside of a human body.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd suggest having some questions you'd like to ask the physician when you get the chance so you can learn how they ended up getting into their career path. Most physicians are willing to speak about it and welcome questions from those shadowing them. Regardless, your experience should be a great time! Congrats! @noonemournsthewickayla