Rite Aid? Stay or Go? Share here your tips please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Friendly1970

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rite Aid folks,

In the near future, about 2000 stores will go to Walgreens, leaving about 2000 stores behind. We already have people quitting Rite Aid at Headquarters fearing survival is uncertain.

If you are lucky to find better home, please kindly share your past life experience at Rite Aid with any tips you find helpful so other folks who still work for Rite Aid will survive. Think of this as charity community service to your fellow Rite Aid minions who still struggle at Rite Aid.

Any thoughts at all is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU AGAIN :)

Respect.
Appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

Walgreens is honestly not bad. It all varies at the store level though. There are stores I love to be in and stores I loathe.

I think the biggest concern is not that the current RA pharmacists will become future Wags pharmacists but that they will become unemployed. The question is how many of those RAs will be closed and the staff is given floating prn positions or no positions at all. A lot of people are waiting to find out which stores are coming or going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Store level slaves and up to 2 level above store level are necessary to run operations. These jobs aren't replaceable, someone has to run the store and still take care of 20 store complaints. However, HQ job is different. If Walgreen has the same job title at their HQ, why do they need you? You need to ask this question hard, and if you think your job is at risk, it might be wise to jump ship.

Riteaid isn't going anywhere for a while either. If you work at new leaner riteaid HQ, now the question is "Would you be laid off because of 2200 stores are gone due to low seniority or merit?" and you can decide whether to stay or go.

I think the biggest concern is not that the current RA pharmacists will become future Wags pharmacists but that they will become unemployed. The question is how many of those RAs will be closed and the staff is given floating prn positions or no positions at all. A lot of people are waiting to find out which stores are coming or going.

Employee Union in California texted to us that California is safe.

I heard most stores on East Coast will be Walgreens.
Most stores on West Coast will remain.

"Rite Aid announced the sale of 2,186 of its stores, located predominantly in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Southeastern regions to Walgreens."
Source: retrieved 07-23-2017 from link here:
Amended Deal With Rite Aid Has Leerink More Cautious On Walgreens Shares

(benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/17/07/9752409/amended-deal-with-rite-aid-has-leerink-more-cautious-on-)

''Amended Deal With Rite Aid Has Leerink More Cautious On Walgreens Shares''

Last edited:
I myself am going though other options all well. They are not that pretty. Right now its CVS/omnicare or Walgreen 24hrs overnight shift.
Job security wise I believe Walgreen will be absorbing most store employees.

If you are not working Rite Aid and wanting transfer from Rite Aid, insist on getting faxed transfer, you will have EVERYTHING and I mean everything you need, Full patient info, Full doctor info, Full store info with DEA, Full pharmacist name (first name and last name). Full script info with everything. Everything. (Drug name, mg, sig, quantity, original date, last fill date, refills remaining, quantity remaining, doctor's info, npi......) Everything. Clearly. Many drugs on same page.

I will contribute my tips to fellow Rite Aid who still work:
Subject: Transferring Scripts out:
Reason: Starting August 2017, Rite Aid will not take Blue Cross. We will lose scripts and transfer out a lot.

During changing time to Walgreens, we will lose human and customer service will be down and we will transfer out a lot. So master the Transfer Out and you will save time.

Rite Aid has way to transfer scripts out that really save time for both transferring out pharmacist and receiving pharmacist. Total by fax. Many scripts at same time. Talk about amazing software feature.

I have seen many pharmacists and reliefs transferring out by voice which has risks of mistakes by receivers and you will be dragged to court if mistakes kill patients. So transfer by fax to save your job and save patients.

When you transfer out, you will have to enter everything into computer for legal record anyway.
Why do verbal, then enter info of receiving pharmacy?

Insist on transfer out by fax to prevent mistake and no blaming.
Enter info of receiving pharmacy with fax number then click fax. Done. You have to enter anyway. Why transferring out verbally?

Insist on transferring out of Rite Aid by fax to prevent mistake and killing patient.

(To transfer out many scripts at same time,
Hold down the Control button (the button at bottom left of keyboard that has CTRL on button)
Then,
click the line you want
click the next line you want
now you have 6 drugs highlighted.
now transfer out.
1 page will be faxed out with 6 drugs on fax. Done.)

Save patient.
Save your license and time.
If you work for Rite Aid, print this and show to the pharmacist that still transfers out by voice risking the chance of killing patient and be dragged to court.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
RA is dead. Losing Anthem Bluecross to CVS is a hit. Most of those stores are disasters. Never answering the phone, kicking it back to the main menu again of the answering maching. Customers coming in to transfer and they're also telling us they can't get a hold of RA pharmacies and have to call the front store. I'd get out. Walgreens will close a lot of them and take the scripts

RA is dead. Losing Anthem Bluecross to CVS is a hit. Most of those stores are disasters. Never answering the phone, kicking it back to the main menu again of the answering maching. Customers coming in to transfer and they're also telling us they can't get a hold of RA pharmacies and have to call the front store. I'd get out. Walgreens will close a lot of them and take the scripts
Especially if the RA store is on the same street as a Walgreens.

Back in the day when Walgreens was kind of a top notch company to work for....rite aid would take all the walgreens rejects....now everything has come full circle...the cycle is complete.

Back in the day when Walgreens was kind of a top notch company to work for....rite aid would take all the walgreens rejects....now everything has come full circle...the cycle is complete.
It's crazy. It will eventually just be Wags and CVS's left. CVS will probably get Costco and Walgreens might eventually jump in and take Walmart. Most of the CVS stores inside Targets cvs will probably close eventually. They took Blue Cross and still didn't have much volume, now that the core stores have them they will lose a lot of those scripts as well. If you new grads thought finding a job is a scary thought just wait the next 5 years.