Rite Aid vs Walgreens for Pharmacy Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slayex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is better? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

WAG, more money, better benefits, better corporate culture. RAD typically pays the lowest of all 3 big retail chains and has sh1tty work culture.

WAG, more money, better benefits, better corporate culture. RAD typically pays the lowest of all 3 big retail chains and has sh1tty work culture.

Is the more money part true? I have asked classmates and they said p2 pharmacy interns make $13 in both stores. New York City btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the more money part true? I have asked classmates and they said p2 pharmacy interns make $13 in both stores. New York City btw.

I wouldn't say it if it weren't true. Given the same district/area, CVS > WAG > RAD on $$$/stress ranking. This is for pharmacist pay, not intern.

For intern, you just don't give a fu3k about $$$ since you can work 20-40 hours/week and the pay check is still sh1tty anyway. You intern for the connection and work experience, not for the pay check.

I wouldn't say it if it weren't true. Given the same district/area, CVS > WAG > RAD on $$$/stress ranking. This is for pharmacist pay, not intern.

For intern, you just don't give a fu3k about $$$ since you can work 20-40 hours/week and the pay check is still sh1tty anyway. You intern for the connection and work experience, not for the pay check.

I see. Thanks for the insight.

Finished my last shift at CVS today. Would strongly badmouth them to anyone and never recommend them. I would take CVS off the list. Period.

Last edited:
Finished my last shift at CVS today. Would strongly badmouth them to anyone and never recommend them. I would take CVS off the last. Period.

Yeah, all my friends tell me. That's why I made sure to never apply to CVS.

I don't think I've ever heard from anyone that ever "loved" their experience at CVS.

Heh... even a thread about Rite Aid and Walgreens somehow turns into bashing CVS...

Anyway, I've been with Walgreens for 8 years, and I feel that they treat pharmacists reasonably fairly. There's less metric crap than CVS, but you still have to work hard and do things that make good business sense, combined with providing good patient care. Then as the business grows, you get rewarded financially very well through stock ownership.

Heh... even a thread about Rite Aid and Walgreens somehow turns into bashing CVS...

Anyway, I've been with Walgreens for 8 years, and I feel that they treat pharmacists reasonably fairly. There's less metric crap than CVS, but you still have to work hard and do things that make good business sense, combined with providing good patient care. Then as the business grows, you get rewarded financially very well through stock ownership.

How does the stock ownership work? Do you get stock as bonuses? Is that just for the PIC? Unless you're just talking about buying stock.

How does the stock ownership work? Do you get stock as bonuses? Is that just for the PIC? Unless you're just talking about buying stock.
The programs keep on changing over the years. Usually all pharmacists can participate. They've had:

- Stock options given out for free
- You buy stock and they give you 2 x more stock options to buy at the same price, in the next 3-10 years
- Stock given out for free but they don't vest for 3 years
- 10% discount on Employee Share Purchase Plan

I strongly recommend that all pharmacists participate in any plan available to them, because in capitalist America, most of the time the employees get squeezed for the benefit of the shareholders. You will only benefit by becoming a shareholder yourself.

Reactions: 1 user