RITE exams and fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillwell

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,, I just wanted to know what goes into accepting someone for a neurophys or just eeg fellowship. I know letters matter, and research, but what about RITE scores. I have heard they are hard exams but do program directors use them heavily in decisions or do they even ask?? Or is it more for the uppity-up places that are really competetive?? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Stillwell said:
Hi,, I just wanted to know what goes into accepting someone for a neurophys or just eeg fellowship. I know letters matter, and research, but what about RITE scores. I have heard they are hard exams but do program directors use them heavily in decisions or do they even ask?? Or is it more for the uppity-up places that are really competetive?? Thanks in advance!

Most programs (including the "uppity-up places") will not even ask for them. In fact, they are not even supposed to, because the RITE exam is intended to be a "self assessment tool," not a validated quantification of your knowledge or performance. IMHO, references are the second most important factor in fellowship decisions, and the most important is whether you did your residency at the same place you are applying for fellowship, since most programs strongly favor their own.