RMUoHP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atrigno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is interviewing at Rocky Mountain? I received an email invite on Monday.

Members don't see this ad.

I have my interview Feb 7th! Anyone else going that day?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am interviewing on saturday, feb 8th.

Great program. Great location. I like the faculty a lot. Be weary of boards pass rates. :-/

I'll be there on Feb 8th. I saw the rather low pass rate for the class of 2012 too, but was told that they are planning to make changes to the program to bring it up. 2012 I think was their first graduating class.

I'm a current RMUoHP student, and although I know it will be very tough, I have zero doubt I will pass the NPTE. The low pass rate of the first class has basically been attributed to the academic quality of the first class. When the first class was being admitted, the program was brand new, school was completely unknown, unaccredited, and still not very cheap. So basically, they had to take some lower-quality students. Students that didn't get in anywhere else and had no other options. RMUoHP is the 3rd PT program that our director has started, and he didn't seem to be very surprised. He has told us that our class (the fourth class, and the first one to be CAPTE accredited during the student application process) was the first class with a non-below-average college GPA. (I believe our average is 3.6)

Also, at that time the program only had a couple professors, so many courses were weekend courses where semester work was done online and then a professor visits for 2-3 weekend throughout the semester. The feedback I heard from some of those students was that it wasn't that great of a learning experience.

Let me know if you guys have questions and I will answer them honestly.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a current RMUoHP student, and although I know it will be very tough, I have zero doubt I will pass the NPTE. The low pass rate of the first class has basically been attributed to the academic quality of the first class. When the first class was being admitted, the program was brand new, school was completely unknown, unaccredited, and still not very cheap. So basically, they had to take some lower-quality students. Students that didn't get in anywhere else and had no other options. RMUoHP is the 3rd PT program that our director has started, and he didn't seem to be very surprised. He has told us that our class (the fourth class, and the first one to be CAPTE accredited during the student application process) was the first class with a non-below-average college GPA. (I believe our average is 3.6)

Also, at that time the program only had a couple professors, so many courses were weekend courses where semester work was done online and then a professor visits for 2-3 weekend throughout the semester. The feedback I heard from some of those students was that it wasn't that great of a learning experience.

Let me know if you guys have questions and I will answer them honestly.

That is very helpful information to know. Thank you for sharing! What are some examples of the kinds of questions they ask during the interview? I've heard that some schools ask traditional questions (why physical therapy?) while others are more obscure (what kind of cereal would you be and why?). And what do you feel like makes the Rocky Mountain physical therapy program different from other programs? I'd appreciate any insight you're willing give. Thanks!

I had an early interview at RMUoHP back in November. The interview was with two faculty members and it lasted about 45 minutes. Of course I was the only candidate there at the time. They asked all the standard questions plus a few tougher ones. Most of the toughest questions were asking for examples in your life when you were in charge of something, working in a group, and what role do you play in a group. There was no group interview.

Reactions: 1 user
That is very helpful information to know. Thank you for sharing! What are some examples of the kinds of questions they ask during the interview? I've heard that some schools ask traditional questions (why physical therapy?) while others are more obscure (what kind of cereal would you be and why?). And what do you feel like makes the Rocky Mountain physical therapy program different from other programs? I'd appreciate any insight you're willing give. Thanks!

I am having a hard time remembering exactly what the questions were. They didn't asked any really crazy questions. I think one had to do with recalling a situation when I was personally invested in the outcome and how I was able to remain objective in the situation. They also asked a few questions about what role I play in a group. Also about what kind of leadership responsibilities I have had and how I handle stressful situations. What do I do to relax, what was the last book that I read. I will let you know if I can think of anymore things from the interviews.

What I liked most about Rocky Mountain is that it is a small school that was started by a physical therapist. I like small schools, it doesn't take as long to get things done and it is easier to meet with the professors outside of class if needed. There is also a lot more emphasis on clinical experience thank most other programs. Rocky mountain is located on the south end of provo. Parking isn't a problem. They are moving to a new campus that has excellent facilities. The only major downside to me is the cost of tuition. They are also planning on sending a group of students to Kenya each year to see and help out in a hospital. I am not sure how the works with the program as far as cost but it would be an amazing opportunity.

i am getting a little nervous with the snow accumulating here in northern colorado. and my weather app is predicting snow in slc/provo. does anyone know how they handle events like flight cancelations? i don't leave denver until friday evening, probably after offices are closed.

I assume you received the informative email about how the airport here never closes? I think she was directly addressing your concern. How many people do you think are traveling from out of state for the interview? Funny thing is we haven't really had much snow in the SL valley this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know if they are doing any more interviews? Or has anybody else not heard from them yet?

As far as I know/have heard they are just doing interviews on 7th & 8th and again on 14th & 15th. Some people applied for early decision with a GPA greater than 3.5 I believe? And those were already granted interviews earlier in the year.

Does anybody know if they are doing any more interviews? Or has anybody else not heard from them yet?
Weird that you haven't heard back from them. They were very timely about calling me and emailing me concerning my application, for setting up interview, and responding to questions, etc.
I would call them to follow up if I were you.

I emailed them and they said that they are finishing up the final invitations and interviews. We should hear soon.

Interview done; whew! no problem with travels. haha. rachel could be calling as early as monday or tuesday. eek!

Interview done; whew! no problem with travels. haha. rachel could be calling as early as monday or tuesday. eek!
How do you feel your interview went? In mine they only asked me 5 questions about certain experiences. The faculty was nice. My tour was lame because they were actually closing buildings for the day so we didn't get to see all the facilities. Students who did Q&A on my day were really chill & knowledgeable. Did you get any impression from your interviewers as to how you did? Mine were not giving any hints or indications.

i don't think it went poorly. haha. mine were five experience questions as well! they were polite, but i couldn't really get a read, either.

I felt good about how my interview session went, even though I didn't have "specific examples" for every question. I outlined how I've handled situations in the past and how I approach the problems they asked about. Let me know if/when you hear back.

got denied from denver today. rmu is my next biggest hope. haven't heard back yet; and it's killing me!

for goodness sake. i feel like a cannot catch a break... waitlisted.

ME TOO!! I feel the same frustration. I know it's a very competitive DPT school environment out there but I have over 2,000 clinical hours of experience in 2 different clinics, Eagle Scout, service oriented church youth group, and magna cum laude with a 5 year degree in pre-med studies. What the heck are they basing acceptance on??

I have no idea what your other stats are, but from what I understand as far as observation hours go, PT schools value quantity of settings over quantity of hours. I haven't interviewed at RMUoHP (yet) but in my interview thus far I was able to share much more varied experiences than the other person I was interviewed with even though he works at a PT clinic. Why? Because he observed one setting (outpatient ortho), while I have six totally different settings to draw experience from.

But that's only one facet of the application. What does your GRE score look like? LoRs? Essay? Your extra-curriculars look fine, but I don't think admissions committees care much about EC. It's more just give you that extra push when you need to set yourself apart from a similarly qualified applicant.

Overall 3.8 GPA. Pre-req 3.45 GPA. 160V/150Q 4.5 written. Don't know how I could tell quality of LOR's they are through PTCAS and students aren't supposed to see those. I have 2 volunteer/paid experiences in clinics that feature different specialties/focuses. You know what? It is what it is and at this point I'm just interested in hashing out the details just for my own sanity. But I understand how competitive this admission class is and DPT programs in general. So I feel like they have a tough time deciding just as we would have a tough time comparing. I think it can come down to practically splitting hairs.

for goodness sake. i feel like a cannot catch a break... waitlisted.
I am a current student at RMUoHP and thought I would just jump in and say that the majority of my class was taken off of the wait list. The thing with the application process is that students who are accepted at first are also usually accepted to other programs as well. They get to play the pick and choose game, and more times than not pay the acceptance fee to the program along with the acceptance fee to other programs. They then wait until the last couple weeks before the program of choice starts, and then notify other programs that they are not interested and are attending elsewhere. This causes programs to scramble for students off of the wait list. I was wait listed at Regis and got accepted 2 weeks before the program started. Hope this helps ease some of the stress your having. #Prepare4Glory

Reactions: 1 users
I am a current student at RMUoHP and thought I would just jump in and say that the majority of my class was taken off of the wait list. The thing with the application process is that students who are accepted at first are also usually accepted to other programs as well. They get to play the pick and choose game, and more times than not pay the acceptance fee to the program along with the acceptance fee to other programs. They then wait until the last couple weeks before the program of choice starts, and then notify other programs that they are not interested and are attending elsewhere. This causes programs to scramble for students off of the wait list. I was wait listed at Regis and got accepted 2 weeks before the program started. Hope this helps ease some of the stress your having. #Prepare4Glory
I appreciate the positive news and hashtag. Haha

i have read from another thread that it seems programs that give an offer have the ability to see other programs that have offered to that applicant through PTCAS. maybe it'll help make it not so scrambly.

Just out of curiosity, do you know how many people were on the waitlist in your group? I thought they said 7 at the orientation, but that seems pretty low.

I couldn't give you an exact number for my cohort, but I would say its definitely greater than 7.

Have any of you guys been accepted from the wait list yet? Also, for people who are accepted, how long do you have to submit your deposit?

i wish! might ask admissions questions about my chances the end of this month... not sure how to plan my summer/possibly next year with this up in the air.

I got accepted from the waitlist on the 21st. They gave me one week to get my deposit in.

I was accepted off the waitlist today, still deciding on two schools so I'm not sure if I'll be attending or not.

Last edited:
I was accepted off the waitlist today, still deciding on two schools so I'm not sure if I'll be attending or not.

congratulations! were you notified via email or a phone call?

Thanks, I had a voicemail to call them but before I could call them back, I was at work, I saw the email. I do not think I will be accepting so hopefully that helps you!

i called mid-march and asked if my rank had ever been reached, and i was told, "yes. good luck." that just upped my anxiety. trying really hard not to call again and just let it be. it is getting super difficult to keep my hopes up with how close it's getting! ho-hum :unsure:

i called mid-march and asked if my rank had ever been reached, and i was told, "yes. good luck." that just upped my anxiety. trying really hard not to call again and just let it be. it is getting super difficult to keep my hopes up with how close it's getting! ho-hum :unsure:
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "if your rank had been reached"? I'm
unfamiliar with the terminology. The two times I've asked about my position on the waitlist I was told that information isn't provided. Could you elaborate on how you were able to receive your information?

well, i am wondering if my particular situation made them more lenient to help me out. i'm in a position that i would need to take all of my finals early if i were to be accepted at rocky mountain. when i spoke of needing to plan the end of my semester out very carefully because of this, i just asked, "i know you don't disclose ranks, but in years past, has the rank that i am at been reached before?" did they seem put off in any way with you calling more than once? i am trying real hard not to call again because i don't want to pester them.

well, i am wondering if my particular situation made them more lenient to help me out. i'm in a position that i would need to take all of my finals early if i were to be accepted at rocky mountain. when i spoke of needing to plan the end of my semester out very carefully because of this, i just asked, "i know you don't disclose ranks, but in years past, has the rank that i am at been reached before?" did they seem put off in any way with you calling more than once? i am trying real hard not to call again because i don't want to pester them.
Never told them my name just asked if they could disclose my position on the waitlist so I could estimate the legitimacy of my chance.

this should be the final week we could hear for an offer. for some reason i am still holding hope...

this should be the final week we could hear for an offer. for some reason i am still holding hope...

It could happen. One of my classmates (at RMUoHP) got a spot on the first day of class. She had to move to Utah that day.