RN-BS-MD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodytwoshoes1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student nurse in my 1st year of my ADN, working on getting my RN, and I am planning on going into medical school after I get my bachelors degree. Are there many nurses that do that? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Goody,

You're awesome! There's a third year here at Hopkins who's a BSN (or maybe an RN(?), to tell you the truth, I don't know the difference! I'm ashamed to admit it). And there's a second year at the University of Maryland who's an RN/BSN/whatever, she's a nurse.

So you're not alone! Maybe I could find out the name of the 3rd year here and put you in touch with her...

yay!! I am an RN, will graduate in May with my BSN...I have always wanted to go to Medschool. I posted a topic a while ago titled "RN to MD?" I received A TON of information from knowledgable people, good advice too. I even received personal e-mails from two RNs who are currently in medschool...this is a great motivation to see one of "ours" going on to achieve their ultimate goal...I want to follow them!!

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, Linie, to clarify the BSN-RN question...you can be an RN with a two year degree, Associates Degree of Nursing (ADN)or a four year degree, Bachelors of Science (BSN). Alot of RNs go on for their BSN because it's a "gateway" into your Master's degree (an RN can become an FNP--family nurse practitioner) or specialize in a specific area of nursing--Neonatal,critical care,etc...i hope that helps!! (it just took me FOUR years to decide that I would love to pursue my dream of going to medschool!!!)

Unless I missed it, there is something that seems not to have been discussed in the previous posts. Admission to medical school requires BCPM courses to be those taken by majors in the respective departments. Correct me if I am mistaken, but the sciences taken in nursing schools, even BS programs, are not usually, if at all science major courses.

I assume what was not mentioned in any of the above posts was that the successful nurses went through postbac work to meet the admission requirements.

Many nurses have gone to medical school, but all the ones I ever knew had to retake to meet admissions requirements.

Actually Gower, many nursing programs use science major courses. My mom is an RN and she took the same science courses that the science majors were taking.

gower, you're right that nurses don't take all the necessary science classes to fulfill medschool requirements. I have been researching the requirements and if I were to go on to apply to medschool, I would still need a year of physics.I have already taken pathophysiology, microbiology, anatomy & physiology (1 year), and chemistry (1 year). If you have anymore information, please add to the post. Thanks!

well I'm another nurse in my junior year as a pre med, but I'm not an RN, I've been an LVN for 15 years, and knew quite a while back I didn't want to do my RN, and went on to do what I wanted to orignally, that is, be an MD. Good luck everyone!

Prereqs for nursing~Bio, Gen Chem, microbio, A&P, nutrition, psych (child and adult).
For BSN include Statistics.

Prereqs for nursing~Bio, Gen Chem, microbio, A&P, nutrition, psych (child and adult).
For BSN include Statistics, pharmacology and pathophysiology..

------------------
Some people look better with their clothes on!

I graduate in Dec 2001 with my BSN. For a long time I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to med school, but I knew I wanted to work in health care. Therefore a bachelors in nursing was my perfect solution. Now I know I want to go to med school but I definitely don't regret going with nursing first. I'll have unique experiences to share with my classmates and a more clear cut idea of what I want to do.
The extra classes I will need are: Physics (one year), basic biology (one year), O Chem (one year), basic chem (one semester), and a gross anatomy course. So, as you can see many of the prerequisite courses for my nursing program don't overlap.
Good luck to any other nurses out there who are going for their goals!

I graduate in Dec 2001 with my BSN. For a long time I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to med school, but I knew I wanted to work in health care. Therefore a bachelors in nursing was my perfect solution. Now I know I want to go to med school but I definitely don't regret going with nursing first. I'll have unique experiences to share with my classmates and a more clear cut idea of what I want to do.
The extra classes I will need are: Physics (one year), basic biology (one year), O Chem (one year), basic chem (one semester), and a gross anatomy course. So, as you can see many of the prerequisite courses for my nursing program don't overlap.
Good luck to any other nurses out there who are going for their goals!