RN- BS - MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodytwoshoes1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student nurse in my 1st year of my ADN, working on getting my RN, and I am planning on going into medical school after I get my bachelors degree. Are there many nurses that do that? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Actually many people do that. I am a PA and there were many nurses in my program and I know that many choose the NP progran as well. Good Luck.

I know many nurses who did that. So go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
While some nurses do eventually go to med school, the ones I know did it because they were unsatisfied with their profession. That is a perfectly acceptable reason and the one usually used. However, if you're only thinking of it as a stepping stone to med school, I can assure you it's not the best route. If anything it might hurt you because it shows that you don't understand the fundamental process of becoming a physician. The educational models of nursing and medicine are vastly different. The nursing model is all about patient care, and day to day tasks, with little emphasis on biochemistry, physiology, diagnosis or management. Now, if you've been in nursing for several years it might make SOME med school courses a little easier, but for the most part you'll be no better off than if you'd never gone to nursing school. I'm basing this statement on info from a fellow student who spent several years as a nurse. She was slightly ahead of the game in pharm and anatomy, but otherwise she felt her background hadn't really helped. IMHO if you already know that you want to be a doc, you should switch to pre-med.

hey mee too!!!!! honestly... i hate nursing school..... some msns think they're soo smart!!! plus nursing profession sucks now as it is. with pay hours staffing etc

I am going to agree with Neurogirl. The nursing curricula carries none of the medical school prerequisites. A nursing student would have to return to school to take those courses BEFORE applying or they would never get a decent score on the MCAT.

Why go to nursing school if you want an MD anyway? :confused:

Alicia

I chose to get my RN first for two reasons- the experience and the pay. As an RN, I get to work in the medical field, and get alot of experience, which I have been told by all of my advisors will help me not only get into medical school, but also in medical school. As for the pay, I just got my LPN, and entry level pay where I live is $15-$20 an hour. In 8 months, as an RN, I will be able to get a job with good hours at $25-$30 an hour. Working 2 shifts a week, I will be able to get through my undergraduate education with out any debts. I hope that answers your question.

In reply to Neurogirl, I know that the nursing curriculum is very different than medical school curriculum, but in my case, I started college early and I will complete an undergraduate degree in molecular biology when I am 23 years old. I work as an assistant for the biology teachers at college, so I am able to stay update on the sciences.
I also hope becoming a nurse first will give me a different perspective as a doctor. Nurses do give the day to day care to the patient, they see the actual process of curing the patient happen. Most nurses are very hard working and they get along well with doctors that respect their position. :)

As a person who has experience in pediatric nursing, PLEASE DO NOT GO INTO NURSING FOR THE PAY!! My god, that is detrimental to the profession!!

Alicia