RN without a BSN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member3434

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking about becoming an RN, but am in the middle of getting a bachelor’s in biology. I’ve read online that you either need an associate’s in nursing of a bachelor’s in nursing (BSN) to apply and get certified to be an RN. But is there a way I can take the NCLEX with a bachelor’s in bio? I don’t want to “waste” any extra years of school or get an associate’s in nursing after already getting a bachelor’s. Need help understanding the process!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m thinking about becoming an RN, but am in the middle of getting a bachelor’s in biology. I’ve read online that you either need an associate’s in nursing of a bachelor’s in nursing (BSN) to apply and get certified to be an RN. But is there a way I can take the NCLEX with a bachelor’s in bio? I don’t want to “waste” any extra years of school or get an associate’s in nursing after already getting a bachelor’s. Need help understanding the process!

To be eligible to sit for NCLEX you must graduate from a nursing program.

To be eligible to sit for NCLEX you must graduate from a nursing program.

Okay, thanks for clarifying that! So my next option is to complete my bachelor’s in biology and then apply to accelerated Nursing programs that allow me to get a BSN within a year or two. This will then allow me to take the NCLEX exam. However, in order to apply to these accelerated programs, are there any requirement other than academics? I know that such programs are really competitive, but what do they (if anything) look at beyond GPA, Letters of Rec etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks for clarifying that! So my next option is to complete my bachelor’s in biology and then apply to accelerated Nursing programs that allow me to get a BSN within a year or two. This will then allow me to take the NCLEX exam. However, in order to apply to these accelerated programs, are there any requirement other than academics? I know that such programs are really competitive, but what do they (if anything) look at beyond GPA, Letters of Rec etc.?

You’ll take a test called a TEAS, it’s a pre nursing exam. You’ll have no problem with it. The more expensive the program the easier it will be to get into, as a general rule. If you have a GPA in a hard science degree you’ll be successful in nursing school. The way the questions are asked in nursing is... special. 3 of the 4 answers are correct in a nursing exam, but only one is MOST correct. After you get your BSN, get a nursing job, get through orientation and work for a year to be eligible for tuition reimbursement, then go to NP school.

Reactions: 1 user
You’ll take a test called a TEAS, it’s a pre nursing exam. You’ll have no problem with it. The more expensive the program the easier it will be to get into, as a general rule. If you have a GPA in a hard science degree you’ll be successful in nursing school. The way the questions are asked in nursing is... special. 3 of the 4 answers are correct in a nursing exam, but only one is MOST correct. After you get your BSN, get a nursing job, get through orientation and work for a year to be eligible for tuition reimbursement, then go to NP school.

Hmm..okay. So the TEAS is basically an entrance exam for Nursing School, regardless of what kind of program (accelerated vs regular pace right)? The main reason I ask whether they look at anything else is because I don’t have much volunteer/shadow experience in the field to put on my resume. My original plan was to become a dentist so I have lots of dentist shadowing, but it’s probably not a good idea to put that on my resume. Also, I’m not too familiar about tuition reimbursement (is that because the job is in extremely high demand?) and what you mean by NP school. I’m planning on becoming a Nurse Anesthetist- so a CRNA degree, is that essentially NP school? Do you have any idea about the process of applying to CRNA programs, because based on my (limited) research, it looks like there are very few.

Hmm..okay. So the TEAS is basically an entrance exam for Nursing School, regardless of what kind of program (accelerated vs regular pace right)? The main reason I ask whether they look at anything else is because I don’t have much volunteer/shadow experience in the field to put on my resume. My original plan was to become a dentist so I have lots of dentist shadowing, but it’s probably not a good idea to put that on my resume. Also, I’m not too familiar about tuition reimbursement (is that because the job is in extremely high demand?) and what you mean by NP school. I’m planning on becoming a Nurse Anesthetist- so a CRNA degree, is that essentially NP school? Do you have any idea about the process of applying to CRNA programs, because based on my (limited) research, it looks like there are very few.

NP and CRNA are different. Shadowing/ volunteering hours won’t be a problem for RN school. I think there’s a CRNA association, and those usually have a student membership option. Maybe start looking at that website as a starting point.

Www.aana.com

Reactions: 1 users
NP and CRNA are different. Shadowing/ volunteering hours won’t be a problem for RN school. I think there’s a CRNA association, and those usually have a student membership option. Maybe start looking at that website as a starting point.

Www.aana.com

That website you linked is very helpful, thank you! Now, on a more general note, would you say that nursing is a “reputable” job? I don’t expect the same amount of respect a doctor would get of course, but I also don’t know if the situation at the moment is the same it used to be a few years ago (overworked nurses that are underpaid and have too much work drama/politics)? If that is the case, I definitely need to reconsider my options. I’m thinking about getting an MBA in something that is heathcare related, so that way, I can at least have a white-collar job, even if it means I get paid a little less than what a nurse anesthetist would get paid.

That website you linked is very helpful, thank you! Now, on a more general note, would you say that nursing is a “reputable” job? I don’t expect the same amount of respect a doctor would get of course, but I also don’t know if the situation at the moment is the same it used to be a few years ago (overworked nurses that are underpaid and have too much work drama/politics)? If that is the case, I definitely need to reconsider my options. I’m thinking about getting an MBA in something that is heathcare related, so that way, I can at least have a white-collar job, even if it means I get paid a little less than what a nurse anesthetist would get paid.

If you are going into nursing for "respect" then look elsewhere. If you want a reputable, meaning, to have a good reputation, then yes, nursing has a good reputation. You don't sound very set on healthcare at all. You need to do some shadowing and experience the daily grind of healthcare before you take one step further or look at one more website. Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are going into nursing for "respect" then look elsewhere. If you want a reputable, meaning, to have a good reputation, then yes, nursing has a good reputation. You don't sound very set on healthcare at all. You need to do some shadowing and experience the daily grind of healthcare before you take one step further or look at one more website. Good luck to you.

That’s true, I’m very confused what I even want to do and am in a position where I need to decide as soon as possible. I have done ~100 hours of shadowing in the Dentistry aspect of healthcare, but that is no longer an option for me, unless I apply to Canadian Dental Schools, which are extremely competitive for non-Canadian students. That is the reason I was considering nursing, particularly CRNA as an option, because the lifestyle, pay, and average amount of schooling seem worth it, but I haven’t been exposed enough to see whether it is actually “worth it.” I am also looking into Health Management programs, just so I have a back up plan ready if, for whatever reason, nursing doesn’t work out.

That’s true, I’m very confused what I even want to do and am in a position where I need to decide as soon as possible. I have done ~100 hours of shadowing in the Dentistry aspect of healthcare, but that is no longer an option for me, unless I apply to Canadian Dental Schools, which are extremely competitive for non-Canadian students. That is the reason I was considering nursing, particularly CRNA as an option, because the lifestyle, pay, and average amount of schooling seem worth it, but I haven’t been exposed enough to see whether it is actually “worth it.” I am also looking into Health Management programs, just so I have a back up plan ready if, for whatever reason, nursing doesn’t work out.

Step 1, shadow an inpatient nurse and a clinic nurse.

Reactions: 1 users