RN Considering PA vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And not being in charge is why I don't like RN. In fact it's easy for me to make more than most NPs/PAs I know. I don't this year because I'm a full time college student and doing volunteering and shadowing but my first year out with a two year degree I made 110k gross. Taxes are sure a b*tch.
In an earlier post where I try to give you advice, you stated that you (and nurses in general) do not make “as much money as you’d think”. Well, you sure are making a boat load of money more than me and most of the people I know. What’s up with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In an earlier post where I try to give you advice, you stated that you (and nurses in general) do not make “as much money as you’d think”. Well, you sure are making a boat load of money more than me and most of the people I know. What’s up with that?
Well you can if you work more than the typical 36 hours a week. This year working the minimum 36 hours a week, I'm only going to make a measly 58,000$ gross. My first year I really busted my ass. I never worked under 48 hours a week and sometimes worked 60. I can't do that because I'm playing the check the boxes game for premed.

Well you can if you work more than the typical 36 hours a week. This year working the minimum 36 hours a week, I'm only going to make a measly 58,000$ gross. My first year I really busted my ass. I never worked under 48 hours a week and sometimes worked 60. I can't do that because I'm playing the check the boxes game for premed.
That sucks, I know RNs that are new grads and make over 85k-90k gross for 36hours a week(on the night shift)

That sucks, I know RNs that are new grads and make over 85k-90k gross for 36hours a week(on the night shift)
Yeah I'm in louisiana. At least our standard of living is low I guess.

Also probably should've gone agency. My friend is agency and she makes about 50 an hour all said and done.

But my best friend just got his NP and is only making 80k a year. AND he works m-f 8-5. I don't see the point. I would hate to be trapped in the typical work week.

He also said the education was a joke. He said the nclex was way harder than the NP exam and he was annoyed that he over studied so much.

Seems dreadfully boring, what challenge is there in obtaining NP? Like any nurse could do it. No sense of accomplishment. No "I did what many others could never do!"

Last edited: