RN Income

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by sistermike, May 12, 2002.

1. sistermike

sistermike Senior Member

Hey I'm just curious, how much does an RN make?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ryo-Ohki

Around mid-40K

<a href="http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos083.htm" target="_blank">http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos083.htm</a>

More then young doctors. Grr...

4. tedsadoc2002

tedsadoc2002 Senior Member

I must qualify the above response.

I checked the website and it gives a median salary range, with 50% falling at the upper$30K range. What it does NOT account for is regional differences and EXPERIENCE!!!!

Starting nursing salaries fairly much equal a residents salary. As you accrue seniority (time spent at a specific hospital/health care institution) your salary increases in increments. Again, this is affected by the region and type of institution a nurse works for.

Ryo-Ohki, I hope you are not begrudging the nurses their salaries. A nurse when he/she starts out in his/her career field is not considered being in a "student" or "apprentice" type role like residents are (please see the thread under Rotations and Residencies: "NRMP sued today", where posters feel that the resident is an apprentice and therefore gets a "stipend" and not a salary). Personally, I don't share those poster's opinions, but I was a nurse and believe me, we earn every penny that's pitched our way.

(PS This only goes to show that nursing salaries are horrible. I was making $43,000.00 as an RN with 2 years of experience, a Bachelor's degree, and critical care certification back in 1989!!! What happened? And you wonder why there is a nursing shortage :mad: :mad: :mad: ?!!!!)
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

5. Ryo-Ohki

nah, I'm just complaining about residents' salary.

I think the nurses are worth what they are paid. I just think doctors should be allowed the same free market opportunities.