RN Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wannabeapharm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any people here who are RNs can you tell me about the pros/cons of your profession? Im considering going back to school for nursing BUT I have some concerns on nursing such as :having to work 3rd shift ( I work 3rd shift now and I hate it)mandatory overtime or long hrs

But I see tons of nursing jobs available

Im trying to decide if this career path would suit me
I want a career thats very people oriented
 
Check out www.allnurses.com. You'll find a great deal of information about nursing there, and you will be able to direct your questions to nurses; there are a few nurses here (I'm one of them), but you're more apt to get accurate information at that site.
 
i am a nurse right now and I really like what I do. To answer your question...

Pro's: Typically I only have to work 3 shifts a week (3 12 hour shifts), there are plenty of jobs, I don't have mandatory over time, if you don't like what type of nursing you are practicing (e.g. or, er, general med/surg, peds) you can just change. Nursing can make a lot of money.

Con's: Sometime as a new nurse you can get a lousy shift but you can always just look else where. I work 3p-3a in the ER, other new nurses work 11a-11p or 7p-7a in the ER. I do have a friend who as a new RN rotates between 7a-7p and 7p-7a. Sometimes I feel like because it's a female dominated proffession there are problems that you experience when too many females get together.

However, in general the choice to become a nurse is a personal question. Like any job there are pros and cons it's really something you have to think about. Why is it that you want to be a nurse? What is it that you hope to get out of nursing? In your mind do the pro's outweigh the cons?
I hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
boogita said:
i am a nurse right now and I really like what I do. To answer your question...

Pro's: Typically I only have to work 3 shifts a week (3 12 hour shifts), there are plenty of jobs, I don't have mandatory over time, if you don't like what type of nursing you are practicing (e.g. or, er, general med/surg, peds) you can just change. Nursing can make a lot of money.

Con's: Sometime as a new nurse you can get a lousy shift but you can always just look else where. I work 3p-3a in the ER, other new nurses work 11a-11p or 7p-7a in the ER. I do have a friend who as a new RN rotates between 7a-7p and 7p-7a. Sometimes I feel like because it's a female dominated proffession there are problems that you experience when too many females get together.

However, in general the choice to become a nurse is a personal question. Like any job there are pros and cons it's really something you have to think about. Why is it that you want to be a nurse? What is it that you hope to get out of nursing? In your mind do the pro's outweigh the cons?
I hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.


Would you say that alot of current RNs are rushing to become a CRNA?
 
voiddweller said:
Would you say that alot of current RNs are rushing to become a CRNA?


I really can't say that alot of nurses are running out to become a CRNA but I do know a few who are interested. Most nurses, in general, stay as registered nurses. There's a very few minority who actually go and get advanced degrees. That said, however, a CRNA is a very competetive program to get into.
 
boogita said:
I really can't say that alot of nurses are running out to become a CRNA but I do know a few who are interested. Most nurses, in general, stay as registered nurses. There's a very few minority who actually go and get advanced degrees. That said, however, a CRNA is a very competetive program to get into.

It's seems that most nursing programs are very competitive, including BSN. 🙂 I wonder how competitive nurse practitioner programs are.
 
voiddweller said:
It's seems that most nursing programs are very competitive, including BSN. 🙂 I wonder how competitive nurse practitioner programs are.

NP programs are masters programs so they should be as competitive as most masters programs. You can't expect to get into a masters programs without having a decent background (that could mean grades or it could mean experience)...the same hold true for nursing masters programs. It also depends on the school you are applying for. Sorry I know that's not the most helpful answer.
 
Hi,

I have a bachelor degree in Hospitality Management and I am working in some Resort right now, but I am considering to go back to school to get a RN degree, which one is the fastest way to go? I am a female 30 years old and I want to be a mom soon so I do not want to spend to much time in school. Thanks for your advices in advance.