RN Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any people here who are RNs can you tell me about the pros/cons of your profession? Im considering going back to school for nursing BUT I have some concerns on nursing such as :having to work 3rd shift ( I work 3rd shift now and I hate it)mandatory overtime or long hrs

But I see tons of nursing jobs available

Im trying to decide if this career path would suit me
I want a career thats very people oriented

Members don't see this ad.

Check out www.allnurses.com. You'll find a great deal of information about nursing there, and you will be able to direct your questions to nurses; there are a few nurses here (I'm one of them), but you're more apt to get accurate information at that site.

i am a nurse right now and I really like what I do. To answer your question...

Pro's: Typically I only have to work 3 shifts a week (3 12 hour shifts), there are plenty of jobs, I don't have mandatory over time, if you don't like what type of nursing you are practicing (e.g. or, er, general med/surg, peds) you can just change. Nursing can make a lot of money.

Con's: Sometime as a new nurse you can get a lousy shift but you can always just look else where. I work 3p-3a in the ER, other new nurses work 11a-11p or 7p-7a in the ER. I do have a friend who as a new RN rotates between 7a-7p and 7p-7a. Sometimes I feel like because it's a female dominated proffession there are problems that you experience when too many females get together.

However, in general the choice to become a nurse is a personal question. Like any job there are pros and cons it's really something you have to think about. Why is it that you want to be a nurse? What is it that you hope to get out of nursing? In your mind do the pro's outweigh the cons?
I hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
boogita said:
i am a nurse right now and I really like what I do. To answer your question...

Pro's: Typically I only have to work 3 shifts a week (3 12 hour shifts), there are plenty of jobs, I don't have mandatory over time, if you don't like what type of nursing you are practicing (e.g. or, er, general med/surg, peds) you can just change. Nursing can make a lot of money.

Con's: Sometime as a new nurse you can get a lousy shift but you can always just look else where. I work 3p-3a in the ER, other new nurses work 11a-11p or 7p-7a in the ER. I do have a friend who as a new RN rotates between 7a-7p and 7p-7a. Sometimes I feel like because it's a female dominated proffession there are problems that you experience when too many females get together.

However, in general the choice to become a nurse is a personal question. Like any job there are pros and cons it's really something you have to think about. Why is it that you want to be a nurse? What is it that you hope to get out of nursing? In your mind do the pro's outweigh the cons?
I hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Would you say that alot of current RNs are rushing to become a CRNA?

voiddweller said:
Would you say that alot of current RNs are rushing to become a CRNA?

I really can't say that alot of nurses are running out to become a CRNA but I do know a few who are interested. Most nurses, in general, stay as registered nurses. There's a very few minority who actually go and get advanced degrees. That said, however, a CRNA is a very competetive program to get into.

boogita said:
I really can't say that alot of nurses are running out to become a CRNA but I do know a few who are interested. Most nurses, in general, stay as registered nurses. There's a very few minority who actually go and get advanced degrees. That said, however, a CRNA is a very competetive program to get into.

It's seems that most nursing programs are very competitive, including BSN. :) I wonder how competitive nurse practitioner programs are.

voiddweller said:
It's seems that most nursing programs are very competitive, including BSN. :) I wonder how competitive nurse practitioner programs are.

NP programs are masters programs so they should be as competitive as most masters programs. You can't expect to get into a masters programs without having a decent background (that could mean grades or it could mean experience)...the same hold true for nursing masters programs. It also depends on the school you are applying for. Sorry I know that's not the most helpful answer.

Hi,

I have a bachelor degree in Hospitality Management and I am working in some Resort right now, but I am considering to go back to school to get a RN degree, which one is the fastest way to go? I am a female 30 years old and I want to be a mom soon so I do not want to spend to much time in school. Thanks for your advices in advance.