RN interested in PA school, thoughts? Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarilynRN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an RN with my BSN. I have been an RN for a little over 2 years now. I spent my first year out of school in the pediatric ICU (PICU is ages infant to 21 yrs so its a pretty broad range of age) at a large teaching hospital and am now an RN in adolescent psych and have been here for over a year now. I also had a year working in the peds ICU as a tech prior to graduating as an RN so at this point that gives me 3 years total of health care/patient experience at this time.

I have recently started considering finishing up my pre-reqs for PA school, Im not too interested in NP school. I would need to take Chem 2, O-Chem, Pathogenic Microbiology and Physics since my BSN program had everything else required (thank god).

My GPA isn't really very impressive (3.24 cumulative), my science GPA should be a bit higher since I made mostly A's and B's (did get a C in chem 1 should I retake that class?). My nursing classes were all mainly A's. Its just that when I first started college when I was 18 (I'm 36 now) I flunked 2 semesters cause I partied too much lol (just being honest) so that has always kept my gpa a bit down.

So would I have any chance of being accepted into a PA program? I'm interested in family practice or pediatrics. I live in Oklahoma btw and would only consider going to school at OU. I have no desire to move my family or go out of state. My husband is an elementary school teacher and I have 2 young children. Other than that I am pretty boring person.

Also since I have a bachelors degree can I take the few pre-reqs I have left at a community college or do I have to go back to the university?

Members don't see this ad.