RN interested in pursuing DO degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeaRN

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am an ICU RN in practice for about two years. I love my job and my profession, but I really think I want to take the plunge and work towards a DO program. I was always planning on pursuing my CRNA, but now that I have been working alongside providers of all stripes, I am seriously considering pursuing a career in medicine. (I also just had two RN colleagues start an MD program, so I am actually seeing it as a possibility.) I just have a couple questions whenever you all have a second.

1) I earned a BSN at a well-regarded (but not amazing) public university, so I have some higher-level science courses completed there. Can I use my local community college to complete some of my prerequisites? I have always met people at CC who are pre-Med, but I haven’t know any of them well enough to know if they have ever been accepted.

2) are DO programs that much more receptive to RN applicants (compared to MD programs) or is that a bit of a myth?

Thank you for all of your help! I am enjoying reading all of your stories. I am so grateful these forums exist.

Members don't see this ad.

For DO programs you can complete your science prerequisites at a community college. For M.D. schools you would need to check the policy for each school. What were your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA?

I'll just say this: absolutely go for it. One day you'll be sitting in your first class of med school, or your first clinical rotation, realizing what an asset your work experience has been among all the younger, less-experienced, straight-from-undergrad plebs (I can say that because I was one of them ;) ).

The above post brings up a good point, check which MD schools accept CC pre-req's. It is well worth it to save the money and excel in those courses to raise your application's cGPA and sGPA. As you know, you'll have to take MCAT. Pre-req courses don't tend to be all that important compared to a great MCAT prep course/book set. The info is roughly the same, but the presentation of the courses/books is exam-oriented.

If you aren't worried about school prestige or matching a highly competitive residency (ortho, plastics, ENT, derm, neurosurg) ever in your career, CC and a low/mid-tier med school is another great way to save some $$$. It's not to say it can't be done, but it's just less likely statistically. If you see yourself as a PCP, Internist, Hospitalist, ICU doc, EM doc....those types of things, this route will honestly be just fine. And you'll likely save tens of thousands in loans or tuition.

In terms of DO programs, there is really only a couple downsides that I know of.
1) You have to take 2 sets of boards for most residency positions. COMLEX and USMLE. Studying for both is about the same, but COMLEX adds a bit more info. If that turns you off, shoot for MD.

2) Overall, as a rule of thumb, DO applicants match less often. This can be overcome, though.

Hope this helps. Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I am an ICU RN in practice for about two years. I love my job and my profession, but I really think I want to take the plunge and work towards a DO program. I was always planning on pursuing my CRNA, but now that I have been working alongside providers of all stripes, I am seriously considering pursuing a career in medicine. (I also just had two RN colleagues start an MD program, so I am actually seeing it as a possibility.) I just have a couple questions whenever you all have a second.

1) I earned a BSN at a well-regarded (but not amazing) public university, so I have some higher-level science courses completed there. Can I use my local community college to complete some of my prerequisites? I have always met people at CC who are pre-Med, but I haven’t know any of them well enough to know if they have ever been accepted.

2) are DO programs that much more receptive to RN applicants (compared to MD programs) or is that a bit of a myth?

Thank you for all of your help! I am enjoying reading all of your stories. I am so grateful these forums exist.

1. You can use your local CC for pre-reqs, but it would look better for your application to complete your requirements at a 4-year university instead.
2. My MD school was receptive to RN applicants and I had at least 2 in my class
3. If you are interested in anesthesia, I recommend you talk to an anesthesiologist or two about pros and cons of CRNA vs MD/DO. If you have a burning desire to become a physician, then go for it. However, if you're unsure and think anesthesia sounds interesting, CRNAs earn a great salary and share a significant number of responsibilities as practicing anesthesiologists. They are also becoming more numerous in hospitals and outpatient settings. Just something to consider.

My experience is that you are best off taking prerequisites at a bigger school, but it’s not damning if you do them at a CC.

RN status helps in some situations and is a hindrance in others; in general I’ve found that D.O. Schools are more receptive to allied health nontrads.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont know of any MD or DO program that dont take CC credits. It does look better to have classes done at 4 year institutions but adcoms are realists especially for people like you who are juggling a demanding job and getting the classes done.

DO schools in general are more "friendly" to non trads. I know a few former RNs who are DO students now, but I've also worked with MD physicians that had been nurses prior to med school. Anyone on here will tell you it's better for your career to be an MD. As a student who interviewed at both MD/DO programs I would second this opinion. I would aim high for MD and if it doesnt work out DO is a great option too. Good luck! Take it one day at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing to keep in mind is DO counts BSN gpa as science. So if you're like me and did very well in sciences, but had mediocre RN grades, MD may actually prove more attainable.