RN to MD/DO; meh GPA, advice needed on which path to take!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnoogleRN

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place (it was between here and nontrad, sorry if I'm wrong). I am currently a CVICU RN working at a tertiary academic medical center in New England. I have been a nurse for 1.5 years. I went to undergrad as a medical school hopeful, had some family circumstances that lead to a change of heart and I pursued nursing. My undergrad major was in Biomedical Science, and I went on to receive a Masters in Nursing. Working with residents, fellows, and attendings in my current job has reinvigorated me to pursue medicine - I am CRAVING the knowledge and expertise they possess, and deep down the desire to be a physician has not faded.

My stats:
undergrad cGPA 3.4
undergrad sGPA 3.3 (this includes combined average for two classes that I retook, both Cs originally, As the second time around)
GPA is an upward trend (2.8 freshman year, averaged 3.6 ish second half of college)
MSN GPA: 3.91
I have yet to take the MCAT.
I graduated undergrad in 2016, MSN 2019.
27 years old

I volunteered ~1000 hours in 911 EMS in college, worked full time EMS for 1.5 years, then as an RN for 1.5 years to present. I have one semester of genetics research experience in undergrad.

What I'm looking for is some direction on what path is best for me, and what my chances may be with my current stats. I am 100% open to DO or MD, and obviously I'd need to take the MCAT to apply. Studying for the MCAT I think would be a nightmare since I am so far removed from the core material it covers. I've grown up quite a bit since undergrad and consider myself to be a strong test taker, but I know there's no guarantees with that beast of an exam. Should I take the MCAT later this year and see where it lands me? Best case, if I score well (80th percentile or higher), would my GPA still be too much of a hinderance? Should I look towards a post bacc, and if so should I try the MCAT first or just wait until I've started the post bacc?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is fine for DO schools. You need to score 500 or higher on the MCAT to receive interviews at DO schools. If you score 508+ you could receive MD interviews.

Make sure the prerequisites you have are for the science majors (which most likely are, since you majored in BMS), and not the "for healthcare professionals" ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is fine for DO schools. You need to score 500 or higher on the MCAT to receive interviews at DO schools. If you score 508+ you could receive MD interviews.
Thanks for the encouraging words! I hope for UNECOM mostly, any others that are worthy to try for in the northeast? Trying my best to stay in New England.

Make sure the prerequisites you have are for the science majors (which most likely are, since you majored in BMS), and not the "for healthcare professionals" ones.
Yes, I have made sure of this. I am nearly 100% sure all required prerequisites are completed, including full year organic chem, physics, biochem, etc. I plan to touch base with my premed committee from my school to make sure.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has any input on a post bacc program like Temple, with conditional acceptance upon meeting their MCAT and gpa standards in the program. Also, any advice on the mcat? I feel that I’m basically going to have to relearn everything.

Thanks for the encouraging words! I hope for UNECOM mostly, any others that are worthy to try for in the northeast? Trying my best to stay in New England.

Yes, I have made sure of this. I am nearly 100% sure all required prerequisites are completed, including full year organic chem, physics, biochem, etc. I plan to touch base with my premed committee from my school to make sure.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has any input on a post bacc program like Temple, with conditional acceptance upon meeting their MCAT and gpa standards in the program. Also, any advice on the mcat? I feel that I’m basically going to have to relearn everything.

I don’t think an expensive PB program is necessary. I’d personally go with a DIY for the flexibility, save some money.

Just take it slow with the MCAT, and make sure you’re understanding the concepts, and not just memorizing them. It’s daunting (I’ve only gone through the GC section damn was it a pain), but definitely doable. UTILIZE ANKI!!!