Advice on Pre-Med Path please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourpsych

Reaction score
I'm a 24yo single guy who is heavily looking at a career shift to medicine. Growing up I always marveled at the career, but due to some personal issues, I struggled with finding the confidence to believe I could do it. I entered a nursing program out of high school and by the halfway point I had participated in two internships that led me to the mental health specialty. My perceived ability to help others and feel empowered while doing so made this the perfect fit and before I could stop to really assess my schooling, I was enrolled in a direct-entry Psychiatric-MH NP program through the same college. I worked as an RN for the last 3 years of the program and my graduation is approaching this May. My previous PMHNP preceptor shared her frustration with certain practice limitations, and another one of my three clinical preceptors was a Pharmacist turned MD. His wisdom, knowledge, and encouragement opened my eyes to the possibility for me to follow in similar footsteps and we maintain contact presently. While I am pleased I did the program from the standpoint I found a true passion for academia and helping others - I'm already feeling regret over not pursuing medical school. I also recognize that I'll have my PMHNP in a few short months. I've studied hard and done well in my program, but it never challenged me in a way that felt fulfilling.

Nursing (BSN) w/ Medical Sociology Minor: 3.77 (3.1 science.. was still a bit of a goof my 1st yr. of nursing). Happy to have chosen the minor too.
PMHNP (MSN): 3.96
Work experience: RN for three years, charge for the last year.
Volunteer: Hurricane restoration in Puerto Rico, city mission.
Leadership: President & founder of student nursing assoc. in undergrad. Commissioned the largest LGBTQ pride mural in my city. Launched community health initiatives (BP, covid booths, etc.).
Honors: Highest honor in nursing class for excellence in both academia and extra-curricular. Sociology student of yr. award x2 for dedication to understanding and elevating the community, and addressing health disparities.

Bottom line is, through helping my patients reach their goals and self-actualize the last seven years, I also owe the same to myself. This has always been my 'why,' and I'm finally accepting, embracing, and believing I'm capable.

My question is, knowing my science isn't as high as it needs to be, should I apply to a post-bacc/pre-med program, and would it be looked at negatively if I completed a DIY post-bacc program with a mix of community college and one or two university classes. I'd take Bio 1/2, Chem 1/2, Orgo 1/2, Inorg, Physics 1/2, Biochem, Pre-Calc (and all appropriate labs). I'd likely continue working as a nurse during this time, but would it reflect poorly if I didn't work first as a Psych NP? I feel I can justify the shift to medical schools. Leaning more towards dedicating myself fully to a post-bacc/pre-med program that incorporates MCAT prep and a condensed timeline, but I'm unsure.

Appreciate any and all advice in advance.
-M

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user