RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi fellow nurses! It's such a great thread to read and get inspired by. I've got a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with. I will be 34 if I am accepted first time to medical school therefore 38 when I finish. I think this will be OK for acceptance for MD school but I'm looking for a OBGYN residency (I've always worked in women's health and honestly see myself nowhere else). Do you think this is still a competitive enough age for OBGYN? I have in-depth clinical experience in this field in nursing and I have the stamina for it. I'm just scared that I'll go all this way and not match. I'm hoping to just go for MD programs to increase my chances.

Also, I got my undergrad in Europe (GPA 3.79) but I have about 98 credit hours in nursing pre-reqs and a nursing masters in the US (from a top university). Is it OK that most of my US credits comes from a graduate level course? I also have to take pre-med pre reqs but I think with the nursing pre-reqs they will only total 50 something credit hours.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I am heavily debating wether to quit my job to pursue my prereqs after 6 months on the job. I am afraid this may raise some red flags for med schools that I lack commitment. However, I want to focus on pursing med school. I will have around 1000 hrs by the time I quit.

Hello everyone, I am heavily debating wether to quit my job to pursue my prereqs after 6 months on the job. I am afraid this may raise some red flags for med schools that I lack commitment. However, I want to focus on pursing med school. I will have around 1000 hrs by the time I quit.

Not an RN, but I was in a similar predicament. I ended up quitting after ~9 months after getting around 400 hours, but I am continuing clinical experience in the form of hospice volunteering.

I think as long as you continue clinical experience in some form (e.g. hospital volunteering 4 hours a week or something), it should be fine. Just don't straight up quit clinical exp. Situations change all the time, and people need to quit/find jobs all the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Im nervous because I am investing so much money into this.... Really hope my nursing background can help me I don't have the best gpa :( Currently riding a 3.4 combined.

Hey Everyone. ER RN of 10 years here. Going to apply this next cycle.

Would anybody be willing to read my personal statement and activities sections? Thanks!

Hey Everyone. ER RN of 10 years here. Going to apply this next cycle.

Would anybody be willing to read my personal statement and activities sections? Thanks!

Absolutely. Please send me a message

I have a question about upper div classes. From what I've read, most people take upper div classes for GPA repair/to show adcom they can handle the courseload. As a post-bacc career changer, do I need to "prove myself" in such regard?

I have BSN 3.9X and post-bacc 4.0. I've taken some upper divs like genetics and microbio, but wondering if I need more. I'm prepping for my next and likely the last semester by taking biochem 1 as my last pre-req and nothing else. Debating if I should add in upper divs like epidemiology or immunology or virology. I'd really like to use that extra time for more work, research, and building my app in general.

Hey y’all, just wanted to say keep up the hard work and chasing your dream! I worked as a SICU nurse for 5 years prior to matriculation. I am currently an M1 at an MD program and wanted to say that I am one of 4 nurses in my M1 cohort. You’re not alone and it’ll all pay off, just keep your determination. I know the time spent getting your application prepared can be an arduous and isolating process with minimal support. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey y’all, just wanted to say keep up the hard work and chasing your dream! I worked as a SICU nurse for 5 years prior to matriculation. I am currently an M1 at an MD program and wanted to say that I am one of 4 nurses in my M1 cohort. You’re not alone and it’ll all pay off, just keep your determination. I know the time spent getting your application prepared can be an arduous and isolating process with minimal support. Let me know if you have any questions.
Did you do a formal post bac? Wha was your route and state of residence?

Did you do a formal post bac? Wha was your route and state of residence?
I did not do a formal, I did a DIY at the university where I worked because they had a tuition reimbursement program for employees. I still worked full time while I went back and took my prereqs, which allowed me to utilize that but took longer. I am from the Midwest!

Hey everyone!
I am a current ICU RN of 3 years applying this cycle. I am getting very discouraged because I haven’t received a single interview invite yet 😪. I applied to 23 schools and have gotten 4 rejections (2 out of state without ties and and 2 private) and 1 hold. I applied a little late in the cycle, late aug- mid september, so maybe this has something to do with it. I have a 3.55 undergrad, 3.85 post bac (ochems, physics, biochem) and got a 505 on the mcat. I have been an RN for 3.5 years, sweat thru the COVID pandemic, worked as a CNA for 6 years in highschool and undergrad, have years of volunteer experience, shadowing experience… I know my application isnt lacking in the extracurriculars. Is it all MCAT at this point? For those of you who have matriculated into med school after being an RN, what are your thoughts? Nervous because thanksgiving is next week. Thanks!

• Care
If you can handle being an ICU RN during COVID, you can handle being a med student; the MCAT may be holding you back, though. I'd apply DO if you haven't yet.

Hey everyone!
I am a current ICU RN of 3 years applying this cycle. I am getting very discouraged because I haven’t received a single interview invite yet 😪. I applied to 23 schools and have gotten 4 rejections (2 out of state without ties and and 2 private) and 1 hold. I applied a little late in the cycle, late aug- mid september, so maybe this has something to do with it. I have a 3.55 undergrad, 3.85 post bac (ochems, physics, biochem) and got a 505 on the mcat. I have been an RN for 3.5 years, sweat thru the COVID pandemic, worked as a CNA for 6 years in highschool and undergrad, have years of volunteer experience, shadowing experience… I know my application isnt lacking in the extracurriculars. Is it all MCAT at this point? For those of you who have matriculated into med school after being an RN, what are your thoughts? Nervous because thanksgiving is next week. Thanks!
Apply DO too if you only applied MD.