RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShowGoesOn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently working as an RN in Canada, early 20s... I am feeling a little lost, and a sense of urgency at this time.

GPA: 2.7 (124 credit hours) BScN with Honors. Not going into why I didn't have a 3.0+ as everybody has their own story and it's irrelevant now. I know that I need to work hard to achieve an acceptance in the future.

I want to work towards a medical school acceptance but I've been bouncing around lately on the best course of action. I don't want to invest time and money into a pathway that will inevitably be low-yield so I am coming to the non-trad section to ask about options/thoughts. With my current GPA I may be able to gain an acceptance in Australia if I do well on their entrance exam (GAMSAT) or at one of the Caribbean schools. Applying to DO would mean raising my average and taking the MCAT. Unfortunately, the Canadian school system is not so forgiving and doesn't really enable you to raise the undergrad GPA easily; we don't seem to have "post bacc" programs etc. I do have the option of moving to the US through nursing and working through that system to raise my GPA but that seems like it would possibly take awhile...

Not sure what to do, looking for suggestions

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Carribean schools just want to take your money. So you can without a doubt find admission there. Getting a residency back in canada or even the united states will be extremely difficult through that path.
Nothing in life worth doing comes easy , there are no shortcuts, and you have to work hard to make up for past mistakes. Your current gpa means taking post bac and mcat to even have a shot at DO schools in the US.

If I was in your shoes I’d move to Houston, TX. Work at Houston Methodist, use the TMDAS academic fresh start or whatever, do a DIY postbacc and apply in 2-3 years to Texas schools.

Just my opinion.

I wouldn’t go to Australia or a carrib

Reactions: 1 users
If I was in your shoes I’d move to Houston, TX. Work at Houston Methodist, use the TMDAS academic fresh start or whatever, do a DIY postbacc and apply in 2-3 years to Texas schools.

Just my opinion.

I wouldn’t go to Australia or a carrib
It's funny you mentioned that because I had initially planned to do something very similar after graduating but life got in the way... Not familiar with the Fresh Start program, but I am only in my 20s, so that unfortunately doesn't apply to me