RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cz3250

Reaction score
Hi! I’m currently a critical care nurse in a tertiary hospital working in a coronary care unit. I have 4 years experience prior to this in EMS as a medic.

I had a child when I was in high school and decided that it would be better for her and I if I became a nurse rather than pursue my true interest of being a doctor. Now that she is much older and more independent I was looking to go back to school. My GPA for my BSN is a 3.6 and my science gpa is about the same. Currently I’m finishing some science prerequisites like biochemistry and physics.

I have weighed the pros and cons against going to an NP program and being a CRNA. If I’m going to spend the same amount of money and time to get a graduate education I would rather just go all the way. Ideally I want to take my MCAT in the next 2 years. What was the best program you used to study for it?

Lastly, does anyone have advice that has gone through this non traditional pathway before? Med school with a adolescent child/RN to MD?

Members don't see this ad.

I was an electronics tech in the navy for 11 years, got out became a nurse for 2 years (ICU) and was accepted to 3 schools this cycle. I used Uworld for MCAT prep. I was using Kaplan books but wasn’t getting much out of it. Saw my FL practice scores go up 10 points with Uworld and ended up getting 511 which was my FL average. Hardest part of the process was questions during interviews, why MD over np/crna, so start perfecting your answer now. I got a really awesome reaction about being a nurse at all of my interviews and feel like I def had a leg up with understanding healthcare and being able to talk about real patient experiences. Please let me know if I can help at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I said that it was the more extensive training and learning the why, which would help me better care for my patients. Also said that I think most nurses would prefer MD route but the cost/time leads them to np/crna and that I have the GI bill and a pension so it removes the cost/time barrier for me. Lastly acknowledged that everyone on the healthcare team has an opportunity to lead but being MD would allow me to be involved more with leadership than other roles

Reactions: 1 user
Current NP here and will be starting med school in a few weeks! I definitely took the long way around. We just do not get the in depth knowledge that I desire. I can’t wait to start my journey. I have kids as well. If you want to be a doctor I say go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
Current NP here and will be starting med school in a few weeks! I definitely took the long way around. We just do not get the in depth knowledge that I desire. I can’t wait to start my journey. I have kids as well. If you want to be a doctor I say go for it!
Quick question for you: did you do a formal post bacc or a do it yourself post bacc?

I too have been doing all my prerequisites at a CC. Applying this cycle.