RN to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apnea

Forgot the safe word...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, i've made up my mind that this is the best way to do it. i'm 23 and i have a 4 year old daughter, and a boyfriend with a VERY good job here...but there isn't a university in town (just a CC), and we can't afford to live anywhere else right now. So i decided to get my RN so we can move to a town with a proper univeristy to do my pre-med work, then go to medical school.

Will getting my RN actually HURT me? i'm worried an ADCOM will wonder if i'm one of those nurses that thinks she knows more than she does.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you want the RN? Most of the RN classes don't transfer over as premed prerequisites, so you'll have to do things like take chemistry twice ("nursing" chemistry vs. "regular" chemistry) - yech. If you want to go to med school, start the prereqs at the CC now.:)

i don't "want" to get the RN at all. But neither adult in the household has ever been to college, we don't really have any workforce skills, and i can get an associates' degree in nursing (which doesn't require any sciences but a&p and micro, so i'd have to take pre-med classes anyway) in about 3 years. All of the schools i want to go to STRONGLY prefer that i take my pre-reqs at a proper university, and i can't afford to live even within driving distance of one. i'm basically guaranteed a job with an RN, and it'll be a very well-paying job, so i won't have to pull as many hours while i'm in school. Is it going to look bad to get an RN first?

Members don't see this ad :)
One good thing about being an RN while applying for med school is that you can have job flexibility while taking classes....might not be the best shifts but still.......you can even work while in med school if you want to.

i don't "want" to get the RN at all. But neither adult in the household has ever been to college, we don't really have any workforce skills, and i can get an associates' degree in nursing (which doesn't require any sciences but a&p and micro, so i'd have to take pre-med classes anyway) in about 3 years. All of the schools i want to go to STRONGLY prefer that i take my pre-reqs at a proper university, and i can't afford to live even within driving distance of one. i'm basically guaranteed a job with an RN, and it'll be a very well-paying job, so i won't have to pull as many hours while i'm in school. Is it going to look bad to get an RN first?

You make a fairly compelling case based on your circumstances. In response to your original question as to whether this will work against you in med school admissions, I think that the "Why RN to MD?" question might come up in your interviews, but you will have an excellent response & thus it will be a non-issue. Good luck to you!

Basically, i've made up my mind that this is the best way to do it. i'm 23 and i have a 4 year old daughter, and a boyfriend with a VERY good job here...but there isn't a university in town (just a CC), and we can't afford to live anywhere else right now. So i decided to get my RN so we can move to a town with a proper univeristy to do my pre-med work, then go to medical school.

Will getting my RN actually HURT me? i'm worried an ADCOM will wonder if i'm one of those nurses that thinks she knows more than she does.

i personally think it will be a non-issue. Im a believer that any medical experience prior to med school will only help, not hurt. you will get the opportunity to work with physicians and patients and see if you really want to do it. If not, then you're an RN! As far as admissions go, just be honest and straight forward. There's nothing wrong with having an associates in nursing and do the pre reqs and apply to med school. As long as grades are good and you'll have enough clinical knowledge and experience so it can't hurt. I'm currently working on both my pre-reqs and an associates in Respiratory Care. Im planning on applying right before I get my license, and have spoken with many schools who have expressed no problems with what I'm doing. Not everyone is going to take the traditional path to med school. We all have our own story so live yours and be proud!

:love:

i hate that i lurked here for so long. You're all wonderful. Thank you sososo much, when i went and toured my #1 campus, the guide/adviser expressed a little concern when i said i had to get my RN first. He basically told me that, in his experience, RNs were more trouble than they were worth :rolleyes: In addition to wanting to smack him a little, i found myself desperately searching for a paper bag to breathe into :oops: i love how smart people can fix everything :love:

When I was an ER volunteer, there was this one nurse who got into Johns Hopkins. While a nurse, he did some clinical research and was driven to become a doctor through his nursing experiences and experiencing the death of his parent but could do little to help his parent (as a nurse). As long as you got a story to tell, RN is not frowned upon.

Being a registered nurse will neither help nor hurt you in the process unless you make a point out of knowing more than other applicants.

I agree with Pigeon, BTW, regarding the pre-req's. After finishing an associates, you'd have organic and physics to look forward to while you are working. As for working during medical school, again typical students choose the loan route. If your step one sucks, you will necessarily put a pretty big damper on your future. That's a risk that most students aren't willing to take by working (at least enough hours to make a signifcant difference). I do work, but I would be fine without my income too, and I certainly don't have a family to take care of in addition.

As a former nursing student, I'll tell you that if you don't love and view nursing as a distinct field from medicine, you will regret your decision.

If you really want to become a physician, I don't agree with you that your described path is the best move. I'd take regular med school pre-req's instead at your cc. If you can excel in them well enough to destroy the MCAT, the world is your oyster. Better to just absorb the debt than to double or triple the length of your premedical education.

:luck:

Being a registered nurse will neither help nor hurt you in the process unless you make a point out of knowing more than other applicants.

I agree with Pigeon, BTW, regarding the pre-req's. After finishing an associates, you'd have organic and physics to look forward to while you are working. As for working during medical school, again typical students choose the loan route. If your step one sucks, you will necessarily put a pretty big damper on your future. That's a risk that most students aren't willing to take by working (at least enough hours to make a signifcant difference). I do work, but I would be fine without my income too, and I certainly don't have a family to take care of in addition.

As a former nursing student, I'll tell you that if you don't love and view nursing as a distinct field from medicine, you will regret your decision.

If you really want to become a physician, I don't agree with you that your described path is the best move. I'd take regular med school pre-req's instead at your cc. If you can excel in them well enough to destroy the MCAT, the world is your oyster. Better to just absorb the debt than to double or triple the length of your premedical education.

:luck:

i don't think you get it. The decision has already been made, this is the only way i can see to do it. i'm just wondering exactly how much damage control i'll have to do in the future.

There isn't a medical school in my state, and i frankly can't afford to live anywhere else. i don't plan on working more than MAYBE 8 hours per week while i'm in medical school, but i'm sure i can pull 20 hours a week while i'm doing my pre-reqs. CC is typically easier, but right now i find myself really having more free time than i planned on, and i'm pulling an easy 4.0 through nursing school right now. i'm sure i'll have to actually study through university, but going to a CC just isn't a challenge. i won't learn everything i need to know here. At worst i'll have around a 3.8 when i graduate. It's useless to do my pre-reqs here, even with my own independent study i'm just not being challenged. The nearest university that isn't a party school is over 150 miles away. i can't afford the gas to get there every day, i can't afford the time away from my daughter, i can't afford the daycare required to put in that kind of time. And i can't afford to move closer with my current job prospects.

If anyone has any better ideas, i'm all for it. But this is the best way that i can see. i'm not opposed to sucking up the debt, but i'm not sure i can get enough aid to support myself living anywhere else.

I have my RN degree and worked for 3 years before starting medical school. I don't know how much it helped me in getting in to medical school, but it definitely helped in 3rd year, and I was able to pull some shifts during the first 2 years, which was really nice, since I was working agency and making really great $$$.

One thing I would recommend is that you talk to your nursing school and see if they will accept "regular" chemistry, microbiology, and A&P, rather than the "nursing" equivalents of those classes. I took the "regular" classes and am very glad that I did, in the long run. You should have no problem getting these approved, since they are higher level classes than the "nursing" versions. I would also recommend taking as many of the pre-requisite classes as you can alongside your nursing classes. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, O-chem, calculus, and a few English classes shouldn't be too hard to take alongside the nursing classes. Where you will run into problems is that you will have to schedule around your clinicals. If you can get into one of the one day a week classes, you might be better served.

best of luck, and if there is anything I can help you with, just PM me.

jd

i don't think you get it. The decision has already been made, this is the only way i can see to do it. i'm just wondering exactly how much damage control i'll have to do in the future.

There isn't a medical school in my state, and i frankly can't afford to live anywhere else. i don't plan on working more than MAYBE 8 hours per week while i'm in medical school, but i'm sure i can pull 20 hours a week while i'm doing my pre-reqs. CC is typically easier, but right now i find myself really having more free time than i planned on, and i'm pulling an easy 4.0 through nursing school right now. i'm sure i'll have to actually study through university, but going to a CC just isn't a challenge. i won't learn everything i need to know here. At worst i'll have around a 3.8 when i graduate. It's useless to do my pre-reqs here, even with my own independent study i'm just not being challenged. The nearest university that isn't a party school is over 150 miles away. i can't afford the gas to get there every day, i can't afford the time away from my daughter, i can't afford the daycare required to put in that kind of time. And i can't afford to move closer with my current job prospects.

If anyone has any better ideas, i'm all for it. But this is the best way that i can see. i'm not opposed to sucking up the debt, but i'm not sure i can get enough aid to support myself living anywhere else.

I get it. I just think that you are taking an unnecessarily long path to medicine. To take the position of some of the people who run these schools, I might say that you simply choose not to afford to live someplace else since there may be 1,000 other applicants who would go straight to a 4-year university (not my view, just sharing the view of others). While this may be a cold opinion, there are people who would expect you to put your career ahead of your family since that is what they did.

I'm not suggesting that you should be challenged by your school. None of us in med school were challenged by our undergraduate experiences, certainly not relative to med school.

What I was suggesting was that you should take the prereq's that are offered to you locally and supplement with MCAT review materials while holding yourself to a different standard than your teachers do. I don't expect people to understand my reasoning--even my med school classmates are more worried about their immediate exams than step 1 and find time to complain about having to learn too much. I personally want the material so hard that a low C in class would be equivalent to step 1 250, but nobody else shares my view.

There will be adcom members out there who say, "Oh she didn't want to be a doc too bad if she intentionally delayed her premedical studies," and for that reason I'd frame your essay to make it look like you originally wanted be a nurse but was unsatisfied with it.

In the long run, whatever med school you apply to is going to look at your grades and MCAT as 75-90% of your application's strength. The RN stuff doesn't concern them because it won't help you with step 1, the primary indicator of your matching success.

Now I don't endorse this view, but if I were to take the position of an elitist doctor, I might make a claim that tons of nurses want to be docs, but 9/10 simply can't cut it on the MCAT and are thus unworthy of a med school spot. So really all you have to do is spank the test with a 30+ if your grades stay solid. Most of them aren't going to care what your previous career was if you have the numbers, but you can use your nursing career to make some important contacts for LOR's.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did make a similar decision as the OP, and I have seen the views that I express here come straight from the mouths of admissions committee members (though the likelihood that the OP will visit schools I've been to is low). The only difference was that I declined med school acceptances while paying off old debts, so there was already no mystery that I would be accepted whenever I wanted to start. I don't know that I regret my decision, but I would be doing a lot better right now if I had started med school as a younger person.

I was an RN prior to med school for 4+ years. I was in a similar situation of having a child young and needing to support him earlier than medical school would allow. I chose to go into nursing with the plan to eventually go back to medical school. Is there a BSN option for you nearby? When I looked into the ADN program vs the BSN program - it only took me a semester more of prereqs to get the BSN. My Gen Bio and Gen Chem courses counted for both med school and nursing school - some nursing programs may let you get by with a baby bio or something, but shouldn't not accept the Gen Bio also. I went back after 3 1/2 years of nursing to take the last of my prereqs (Organic, physics and calculus) and my MCAT.
I was asked at every interview, "why leave nursing?" It's a given that they'll ask. Have a good answer - everyone understood that a single mom couldn't easily go to med school with a young child with disabilities... but a married, more mature mom could with a very supportive husband. Get my drift?
My nursing has done nothing to hurt me in school. I'm a pretty quiet person, so I'm not a loudmouth telling people what to do. But I've done well in school and it helped a ton in 3rd year, I was able to help my classmates a lot by already knowing how the system works (plus, I kind of ended up as "group mom" even though there were others older than me in the group).
Another point to consider - nursing school is pretty darn competitive to get in - don't mention anything about wanting to go to medical school during that admission process -they don't want to admit someone who is going to turn around and leave the profession in a few years. I did get a LOR from one of my nursing school professors (needed one from the undergrad major), she was great about it, but the ladies in the dept chair's office were not very polite.
I worked a 12 hour shift in float pool every weekend during MS2 year only - was overwhelmed MS1 year with the amount needed to read, and there's just not time 3rd year. I've enjoyed every minute of my free time during 4th year before I start as an intern in July!
Sorry for the long post! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent, thank you heapses :love:

That's my situation EXACTLY. Will you be my mommy too? i don't talk to my parents anymore, my mother told me the best thing i'd ever make of myself is a really lazy CNA :rolleyes:

i've been pre-accepted to the RN program here, actually. i was honestly sort of disappointed, now i know why my state has such horrible nurses on average. There is no "admissions process," they take x number of students and they go off of nothing but grades. i have grades. ohh lord i have grades. i'm not even through my first semester of human antomy (my school is weird, they break it up and teach anatomy first, then physio) and they're begging me to sign on.

There isn't a BSN program anywhere close, but i've heard i can take an ADN to BSN bridge program online. i'm hesitant to do it though, because in my area you make just about as much with either degree, and no medical school worth attending is going to let someone in with a bunch of online sciences.

@apnea;

You can get your ADN degree at your local school. However, as I recommended (as have several others), be sure to take the general bio/chem/micro/etc classes that are required for pre-requisites for your nursing program. Of course, call them first and MAKE SURE they will accept them beforehand. There should be no problem.

This will prevent you from taking the "nursing" version of the classes and then having to bother with re-taking the general version of the classes again. The "general" classes will be more difficult, but definitely worth it in the long run since you won't be wasting money.

About the online ADN--> BSN degrees. I don't think they usually have any science classes, maybe other than statistics (which is a joke of a class, although very important in the world of medicine). I still wouldn't really recommend it. If you are interested in getting your BSN, I would definitely move closer to a university and finish your BSN while taking the remainder of your med-school pre-requisites.

Would definitely make more sense to me, anyway.

best of luck,

jd

I was an RN prior to med school for 4+ years. I was in a similar situation of having a child young and needing to support him earlier than medical school would allow. I chose to go into nursing with the plan to eventually go back to medical school. Is there a BSN option for you nearby? When I looked into the ADN program vs the BSN program - it only took me a semester more of prereqs to get the BSN. My Gen Bio and Gen Chem courses counted for both med school and nursing school - some nursing programs may let you get by with a baby bio or something, but shouldn't not accept the Gen Bio also. I went back after 3 1/2 years of nursing to take the last of my prereqs (Organic, physics and calculus) and my MCAT.
I was asked at every interview, "why leave nursing?" It's a given that they'll ask. Have a good answer - everyone understood that a single mom couldn't easily go to med school with a young child with disabilities... but a married, more mature mom could with a very supportive husband. Get my drift?
My nursing has done nothing to hurt me in school. I'm a pretty quiet person, so I'm not a loudmouth telling people what to do. But I've done well in school and it helped a ton in 3rd year, I was able to help my classmates a lot by already knowing how the system works (plus, I kind of ended up as "group mom" even though there were others older than me in the group).
Another point to consider - nursing school is pretty darn competitive to get in - don't mention anything about wanting to go to medical school during that admission process -they don't want to admit someone who is going to turn around and leave the profession in a few years. I did get a LOR from one of my nursing school professors (needed one from the undergrad major), she was great about it, but the ladies in the dept chair's office were not very polite.
I worked a 12 hour shift in float pool every weekend during MS2 year only - was overwhelmed MS1 year with the amount needed to read, and there's just not time 3rd year. I've enjoyed every minute of my free time during 4th year before I start as an intern in July!
Sorry for the long post! Good luck!

What specialty are you doing? (PM me if you don't wanna say here.)

Regarding Associates to BSN, I wouldn't bother if you just want to do nursing for the money. The extra classes would just distract you.

I tried nursing school after my Master's (and long after my med school pre-req's were over with), and I pretty much got lambasted by nursing faculty. I wasn't welcome there at all.

I've contemplated this for the last 6 months, even transferred out of the University I was at because I couldn't decide! I am currently working on a BSN.

I have mixed emotions on this. I can see how it could be a good and bad thing. Mostly, if you care or have respect at all for the health care system (as I am now only beginning to realize fully) then it should be easy to recognize that when one decides to become a RN, they should choose to do so because that is the profession that best fits them, and not just a way to get into med school. I can see how admissions people would question your motives. Nursing is one of those things where you are either in it or not.

Me, I don't know what to do. I'm considering going back to the University, my enrollment will be good for another 6 months (I'm doing some course work at a cc now). I just don't feel like at my age and academic background that I have room for errors and mistakes.

The nursing program here is a joke. i'm required to take:

Human Anatomy
Human Physiolgy
Pathogenic Microbiology
Nutrition

Math >= 1000

Eng Comp I
Interpersonal Comm.
some form of American or state history

PE

That's it. No chem, no gen. bio, no nothing that could really help me. So...making lemonade, at least i won't have to retake anything later.

:smuggrin:

Wow, here we have to take a years worth or the a&p, chem, upper class bio, and some basic human development stuff along with math and micro biology, technical writing is a plus (but two terms of english are required), nutrition and at least 14 credits of gen ed. PE, mmm I don't think I could make myself do that lol

Apnea, I think you are well justified in finding a job that will support you while doing pre-reqs. I worked while doing them as have most non-trads.

There will certainly be the tendency for your temp position to stear you away from being a doctor. You'll be doing cool stuff, having responsiblility.

Some nurses really like to discourage nurses from going to med school. Lots of them will try and convince you that it is better to stay in the nursing field with NP or CRNA. Who knows, long run maybe it is. I think many nurses view doctors as the enemy and are certainly bitter. It sort of reminds me of the great football rivalry between William and Mary and UVA ... the one UVA doesn't know exists. William and Mary gets all fired up and UVa is like "William and who?"

Anyway, just realize it may be difficult for you to "walk the line" between doctors and nurses while pursuing your education.

I'm going into Ob/gyn. And I completely get what you mean about the nursing faculty. I about died during all the "theory" courses!!! I don't do fluff well! :)

Apnea - The nice thing about getting the BSN right off is you really have only a few prereqs that aren't already on your degree plan. My A&P actually counted for 8 hours of my biology requirements... so the only extra classes I needed were organic, physics and calc. So, instead of needing to get 2 more years of classes to get the bachelors, I just took the ones specific for med school. I'm not sure how the ADN program is set up where you are - but the one I looked into had nearly 2 years of pre-recs, prior to the 2 years of nursing school... yet you still only finished with an Associates Degree. I didn't get the BSN for the difference in nursing care - I did it because it made more sense with the long term goal of going to med school. But if it's not an option for you, and you can finish the ADN then move closer and work at the same time... I would just be sure to look at the total amount of time you're looking at to finish the bachelors that you'll eventually need to apply to med school. I'd avoid the online bridge if possible, my understanding is they don't really like that on Adcoms. Sorry to hear about how your mom responded - I was really lucky to have super supportive parents (and in-laws, eventually :) ). I can't be your mom, but I'm always good for a motivational speech or words of encouragement(sorry - too many years of L&D nursing, I tend to go into cheerleader mode at times :) ). Its a hard road you are on, but you're making good, thoughtful decisions for the right reasons - keep it up!

haha, at this point i'll take what i can get ;)

If everything goes according to plan, i'll finish my pre-med work at the end of spring semester 2013. i'm planning on taking about a year off to work and establish residency in Colorado (i'm living in Wyoming right now, we have ONE university and a lot of tumbleweeds). Apparently CSU is fairly liberal regarding who they consider a resident, so maybe i won't have to take a year off and it'll be 2012, but i'm not banking on that.

So what do i need to tell the Adcoms? Do i tell them that i've always wanted to be a doctor, only got my RN to help with med school, and risk looking like a flake? Or do i tell them that i got into nursing and wasn't happy? Honesty isn't always the best policy, but i'm not the greatest liar :oops:

im an ER-RN in the state of NJ and im proud to be one. although i have 15 years of experience as an RN in both clinical and teaching aspect, still i havent found satisfaction and fulfillment in it. this led me to go into medical school. im finishing my basic sciences in 2 weeks, will be intensively preparing for step 1 in the next few months. hey, your not accountable to anybody in explaining why you went to nursing then to medicine.....to each its own. we have our own reasons. your thinking is absolutely right, do med school and work in between breaks to earn some bucks (big $$$$), actually thats what im doing right now. if and only if your mind would change later not pursuing medicine, you have a very good foundation to fall back into and that is being an RN. now im missing my salary.....:) good luck.

Colorado is a liberal state for in-state tuition, but it looks like your state options for med school are going to be Colorado and/or UW. That is hard core. 2013 is a long way away. Are you sure that you wouldn't consider moving to a state that will give you better odds? Nebraska comes to mind.

Marry your bf and get things in order. If he has a great job in Wyoming, he should be able to get something equally great in an area more rich in medical opportunities.

We're quite willing to move, we've narrowed it down to states that we absolutely REFUSE to live in, places we would tolerate if they were our last options, and places we'd be reasonably happy in. But we really love Colorado, we go almost every weekend because Wyo is so lame :( He JUST got a huge promotion in his company, he's a commercial photographer now (moved up from graphic artist). So he'll have several years' experience behind him if we end up having to move, it's just a matter of him finding a job in/near wherever i have to go. We've got a decent list going, i'm not tooooo worried about it.

Why do you want the RN? Most of the RN classes don't transfer over as premed prerequisites, so you'll have to do things like take chemistry twice ("nursing" chemistry vs. "regular" chemistry) - yech. If you want to go to med school, start the prereqs at the CC now.:)

This is not true in all cases...many pre-nursing students take the same general chemistry as everyone else. There is no "nursing chemistry class."

This is not true in all cases...many pre-nursing students take the same general chemistry as everyone else. There is no "nursing chemistry class."

Actually, in many cases there IS. This may not be the case everywhere, but it is certainly common enough that it is worth checking out before making decisions about what courses to take.

It's a moot (hehe..."moot") point here, the only pre-nursing and pre-med course that overlaps is Eng Comp I :confused:

Wyoming educated nurses are generally crap :(

As far as what to tell adcoms... that will be in your personal statement. I explained my situation - started as premed, then life intervened and my son was born during my freshman year of college. I needed a way to support him much faster than I could going to medical school, so I looked to nursing with the intention of eventually going back. Once we got his diagnosis of autism, my plans changed again because I figured I'd never be able to go on to med school. But eventually, I wasn't fulfilled nursing for multiple reasons, predominately that I didn't have the continuity I wanted, and my family was at a point where we thought we could handle the stresses of med school. My husband pledged his support for whatever I decided to do, so we applied. It's a page paper - you've got room to tell your story. As long as you keep it real and honest, you'll be fine. It's the people who try to skirt over the early, unplanned kid, the alternate pathway, that run into trouble.
Good luck! I've got to go pick up my baby from her first slumber party!:eek:

hi tiredmom. i am a soon to be new graduate nurse (BSN). i am very seriously considering pursuing medical school, and as someone who has 'taken the path before me' i was wondering if you could give me any advice or insight to your own journal from RN to MD. i have done my research and have determined i would have about a year or so of pre-med pre-reqs to complete (mainly, o-chems, physics, etc... once not generally required for nursing school). i know it is hard to say, and must be individualized, but how was the transition for you as far as workload, time committment, etc. i realize it is indeed a very large transition from RN to MD, but any insight, personal opinions, etc would be very helpful to me at this time! thanks!

It sounds like there are several of us here that want to bow down at the throne of tiredmom's experience....maybe we should start a thread:D .
I too have decided to pursue medicine after trying (without success) to find fullfillment in nursing. I even went so far as to get my NP, but it still seems like i'm watching the game from the sidelines rather than being in the midst of the action.
I also agree with other posters about keeping med school to yourself. When I have mentioned my plans to other nurses they either get upset that I would "abandon" nursing or mock me (occassionally someone will think its great). But mostly its just not helpful.
However, I must add that nursing is a great career for flexibility while I do my pre-reqs. You can work anywhere and work around almost all school schedules. Too bad it's not more fun.

Okay - I'll try to share a little more info.

I never really had any other nurses overtly be mean about the med school thing, but we were the ob site for the family medicine residents, so it wasn't the typical academic setting with all the infighting between nurses and residents. I got nothing but support from both my coworkers and my bosses, but we were a tight knit group and I still email with several of them 4 years out now.

When I decided to go back to med school, I already had my BSN. I only applied in TX. The only courses I lacked that weren't already covered in my nursing degree were O-chem, gen physics and calculus. My A&P and microbiology counted as biology credits - so check with the advisor at your school. I took classes on Tues/Thurs... started out the year working preop on Tues/Thurs mornings so I could work 5a-8:30a then head out for a day of organic chem/physics/and organic lab. In the spring, the physics class changed to MWF so I couldn't take the second semester of it then, had to hold off for summer. Otherwise, I worked 12s on MWF pulling my call on the weekends. When I came around to the summer session, I moved back over to L&D for better flexibility in the schedule - worked every weekend F/Sat/Sun since the summer classes were M-TH. I was PRN at the time so wasn't required to take call in L&D. I took calculus in a night class during the fall that I applied (my only C in undergrad was in precal, so I wasn't wanting that grade on my transcript when I applied :D ).

As far as transition to medical school, initially it was really hard. The hours I was at the school were much less than I had been putting in while working as a nurse, but the study/reading time was a bit overwhelming, especially with a 2 kids at home. I set up a goal for my studies. Each day, I covered the materials for that day's scheduled classes. I started out trying to make written notes of it all/writing out the answers to the lecture objectives (since that's what you're supposed to get out of the lecture, right...:D ). I later transitioned to just writing my study notes each day. The way I did it was to get blank copy paper, writing as small as I could while still being able to read it, and wrote down the important things from each lecture (each class had it's own page). Then I would add to it the next day. This way, I could briefly read over the previous material prior to starting the new stuff, and the way I would study for the tests was to carry these notes around and read them over and over again. Med school is a ton of memorization. I'm not a great memorizer, I needed to learn it first, then go over the rote memory stuff until I could spit it back out. So, I'm a really fast reader, and I averaged about 4-5 hours every day studying outside of the classtimes.
I couldn't miss a day, because it got me all off schedule. The benefits to it were - it worked for my grades, it kept my weekends for review only, so I had more time with my family when the kids weren't in school. The downsides - no time for going out with my classmates (who go out a lot!).

I was terrified all of first semester that I was going to fail and be a huge disappointment. I ended up with all As. :eek: There will be times when you are overwhelmed. There will be times when you cry and feel like you've got absolutely no life outside of really boring books. Then my daughter would walk in, hug me and I'd take a break. You have to treat the studying like it's your full time job outside of school. I think non-trads have a distinct advantage in this regard... we know what it's like to work. It's all about time management, setting a schedule, and FOLLOWING the schedule.

Nursing gives you an advantage during your clinical rotations 3rd and 4th year. You already know how the hospital works, you aren't scared to talk to patients or jumpy about the blood/vomiting. You know how to talk to doctors respectfully but not fearfully. I don't think these things come from nursing school per say, more from being out and working a while, having to manage more patients than you want to, being forced to float and charge in areas that you know nothing about (oh, you work labor and delivery... urology floor should be fine for you to charge on... it's nothing but men with kidney stones and I haven't taken care of a man in 3 years!!!). Sorry, I digress.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know, I'll try to answer them. Good luck!:luck:

Tiredmom is the greatest thing ever. Beats the crap out of sliced bread :love:

i'm currently writing a research paper, so i don't really have time to reply properly, but i can't tell you how much i appreciate all the advice :love:

i also fully intend to start an official tiredmom appreciation thread ;)

I was terrified all of first semester that I was going to fail and be a huge disappointment. I ended up with all As. :eek:

Gunner.

j/k :D

Follow tiredmom's path and move to TX--great tuition, great job opportunities for your hubby, wide range of schools.

He won't move to Texas :(
he's picky...i tease him and say he's old and cranky
i've been looking at Case a lot...but he won't move to Ohio either.
or maybe he will :rolleyes: he's tough to read sometimes
he said there are very few places he won't follow me. but he really hates cleveland...

Apnea,

I answered your other thread. Basically, I was on the same path that you were, but I LOVE nursing school and will probably end up an NP. We'll see.

Anyway, nursing school takes up more time than people realize. Although it's not as scientifically rigorous as a premed track, it can be overwhelming - even if you love it. Also, I noticed that you don't seem approving of the lack of science requirements to get into most programs. The truth is, you focus more on the patient as a whole - psychosocial needs, educational requirements, cultural implications - and medication ramifications. The science requirements actually are enough for most programs. Remember, RN's don't diagnose disease, they focus on the pt's response to the disease process and treatments given.

Realistically, most people underestimate the time required for the process. There is no way I would sit in these classes, write care plans, and spend countless hours in clinicals if I didn't want to do this for a significant amount of time. Although many nurses do go on to medical school, I think using an RN degree as a stepping stone takes significant time away from things that could make someone a more competitive applicant. As one premed who is going to nursing school, I would advise others to jump into what you desire.

CrazyPremed

I answered on another post as well.

If you think nursing is 'below you' or not interesting as a distinct field in itself, I would suggest you not do this.

I was pre-med, got accepted into med school (my first choice even), and then turned it down because I found that I truly love nursing and decided to go for my NP instead.

Also, I found that not a single person in nursing school gave me a hard time because I was planning on going on to MD. But then, I didn't act like a prima donna and like I was destined for 'better things' either.

If you think you are going to be a 'bad' nurse because it is not what you want to do, then chances are you won't even finish anyways...

ONCE AGAIN...this is not a "should i be a nurse" thread. This is a "will it hurt me" thread. i won't be a great nurse. But i'll be a good nurse. i'll care for my patients and make damn sure they'll get every ounce of energy they require. No one will suffer under my care. Nursing isn't "below me," it's not interesting to me. Bottom line. i want to be a doctor. i don't want to be a nurse.

I would not recommend moving to Colorado. There is only one med school there, and I'm actually glad I didn't get in there. If you're going to move, then move to a state that gives you more options. Also, the cost of living in Colorado is not cheap. BTW, before med school, I was an ER nurse for over 6 years.

Being a nurse will not hurt you. I was an ER/ICU nurse for 6 years before going to medical school. The medical schools don't really care about what you did before entering. The main thing that will get you an acceptance is GPA and MCAT. The other things like extracirricular activities, personal statement, medical experience, etc are a VERY MINOR part of the application.

When I interviewed for medical school some of the interviewers asked about being a nurse. It was neither seen as positive or negative. Most asked me about my premed work and my research.

Oh, and Texas would be a good move. (I graduated in Tx) There are 6 medical schools which will help increase your chances of matriculating and tuition is cheap.

You will have to determine how badly you want to be a physician. It will require great sacrifice in time and money. I would suggest going all out and persuing medical school with a vengance and drop the nursing. I mean, if you don't finish premed work until 2015 you are looking at being finished with training in, say 2023 if you choose a specialty with the shortest residency. (Residency can last from 3 years to 8+ years depending on the specialty)Medical school is a long road and the sooner you start the sooner you are done with it and will be able to live life.

Good luck.

Burntcrispy, MD

Apnea,

Did you say that you'll be applying in 2013? Is this because nursing school is putting you off track?

CrazyPremed

Yeah. It is. But i'm knocking out my english and humanities requirements for my top choices while i'm here, so i'm only really missing out on a year. i have to take take them in a particular sequence, so it's taking me 3 semesters anyway.

It sounds like a neat idea. I think if you've had RN training, you have an idea for what nurses know for when you work with them in the future, more understanding/cooperation and less division that way. I'm sure it's happened a lot, since RN training is shorter so it lets you get in and try out the medical field, and then go further if you want to.

I'm not sure why there would be any 'nurse who thinks she knows more than she does' thing. By pursuing the med education, you are looking to learn, it's not as if you're going "hey gimme an MD even though all I've trained for is RN".

(From one nursing student to another) How is the nursing school plan progressing?

CrazyPremed

Really good actually...i just got accepted to start in January :D