RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drmom2b

Undergrad but Driven
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since my last login on studentdoc I have finally decided on a major in Nursing. Its just what is right for me. I want to be a doctor but if medical school doesnt happen with the first attempt I dont want to do any other job than be a nurse. I am curious as to what route should I take. I DO NOT WANT TO BE AN NP. I know its an option and one I will not rule out. I know Nursing is a BSN degree. How do you get a BA?? and What is the path to take to get into medical school?
:love:

Members don't see this ad.

The BSN counts as your bachelors degree - you don't need an additional BA. If you decide to pursue medical school, you can just take the classes that you need for the med school requirements, you don't have to get a second degree. There are both ADN and BSN programs for RN - if you have any thoughts of anything beyond working as a RN, you should go for the bachelors - it ends up saving you time and money in the long run.
I was an RN before med school, so if I can help, let me know. Good luck!:luck:

Thanks for your encouragement. I am doing the ADN to BSN program at my community college. Mostly bc I am a young mother and soon to be married. He is going to school to be a lawyer so neither one of us have a degree yet. I need the RN for financial reasons but I love working with patients and it will cure the itch until medical school acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an RN and am headed in the direction of dental school. I originally had the intentions of graduating with my RN and then going on to medical school, but after getting into the clinical setting and actually seeing how much time physicians spend in the hospital, becoming a dentist was more appealing family wise as well as the kind of work they do. I also like the fact that you have the one on one relation with your patients as a dentist and the variety a dentist has (teaching, surgical, business, setting your patient load, etc). I feel that if I don't get into dental school I will more than likely go Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) or Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA).

If you are interested in getting into medical school after nursing school, get your BSN and avoid an ADN program, just for the fact that it will not take you as long to get your four year degree that's required and you will not have that stigma of having gone to a Community College on the transcript. It sucks that some med schools, and dental schools look at that, but when you are a candidate among thousands of other applicants, something as small as having gone to a CC could kill you chances of getting into a program.

Good luck with your choices and GOD bless

I'm an RN and am headed in the direction of dental school. I originally had the intentions of graduating with my RN and then going on to medical school, but after getting into the clinical setting and actually seeing how much time physicians spend in the hospital, becoming a dentist was more appealing family wise as well as the kind of work they do. I also like the fact that you have the one on one relation with your patients as a dentist and the variety a dentist has (teaching, surgical, business, setting your patient load, etc). I feel that if I don't get into dental school I will more than likely go Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) or Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA).

If you are interested in getting into medical school after nursing school, get your BSN and avoid an ADN program, just for the fact that it will not take you as long to get your four year degree that's required and you will not have that stigma of having gone to a Community College on the transcript. It sucks that some med schools, and dental schools look at that, but when you are a candidate among thousands of other applicants, something as small as having gone to a CC could kill you chances of getting into a program.

Good luck with your choices and GOD bless

Also, community college may hurt your chances of getting into CRNA school. TCU for example likes to see 4 year degrees from Baylor, TCU, UT etc....people who bridged from ADN to BSN may have to have strengths elsewhere (experience, GRE scores etc.). Keep in mind, 1 out of 25 that qualify for anestehsia school get in.