RN vs. PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crawgator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma, knowing that I have been accepted to both schools. On one hand, I have been told that RN's make as much as a PA and have a far greater potential to find a job, and than can become an NP. I'm at a crossroads, if you know what I mean, trying to choose the best route.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Quick question: Why do so many RNs enter PA school?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I know about both professions I would choose PA over RN. First, RN's may have the potenial to make as much $$ as a PA but that's often if they are willing to work lots of extra shifts. Second, PA's that I've worked with in the ER have a lot more autonomy and their training and medical knowledge is more in depth than that of an RN. Also, if your plan is to later become a NP, whose duties are about equal to a PA, why not skip the middle man save a couple years and become a PA now?

These are just my opinions. Hope they help.

Hi, having thought of being a PA while I was an RN and then deciding on getting my NP I can give you my own opinion and state the only differences I see so far. I work with all PA's and MD's in a Hospitalist group. The mid-levels function the same and have the same job description. The only difference is that my years of nursing gives me more knowledge that does not come with just going to school and finding a job. One of the PA's was also a nurse first. Both of us practice a little differently than the others. I think you also need to think where do you want to be in 10 years? If it's in med. school than skip the RN thing and go the PA route with a strong emphasis on sciences. If you really want to try the RN gig first...take electives that are science based if a MD career is in your future. Another thing to consider is proximity to home. I chose NP because it was a program 2 miles from my home and I could still work f/t and raise my kids. PA school meant one or all of us moving. Lastly, as an NP you can hang a shingle, bill for your services directly, and do not have to work 'under' a doc. As a PA in my state you practice 'under' a doc. So...good luck. Take your time but think of the end point and follow your heart. :)