ROAD specialties not as appealing anymore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, 3 years later, what's the state of the ROAD? (or PROP, or DROPPER, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

So, 3 years later, what's the state of the ROAD? (or PROP, or DROPPER, etc)

Only briefly look at a few of the prior posts...From what I hear Rad/Onc has become very tight in terms of the market (increase in training spots?)...I think derm is still very good but still think on has to work hard (e.g.. high volume) and/or be entrepreneurial in order to be successful...radiology has not been a lifestyle field for a decade but one still can find a good gig in certain areas with a little luck, but if I was a current medical student, AI would be something that I would factor in before choosing radiology, anesthesiology has apparently dropped off in terms of competition from what I gather (which probably reflects state of the field to some extent)...saw someone mention ortho/ENT, these (like most surgical sub-specialties) are still very good fields but would not lump into lifestyle, gonna have to bust your hump (high volume in clinic to get the OR cases with eventually follow-up in the clinic)...in my opinion while each field has its relative competitiveness, perceived lushness, and mean income/hours etc, there are very few free lunches...also a very good job in a perceived "so-so" field may be "better" than an average/below-average job in a "sweeter" field...was also add any field is a CMS cut or other political legislation away from being severely damaged economically

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users