Roads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duke12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I've been coming across the acronym "ROADS" quite a lot. I don't know what it stands for :oops:. Could someone help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

The ROAD specialties:

Radiology
Ophthalmology
Anesthesiology
Dermatology

They're supposed to be characterized by easier hours and high salary.

Reactions: 1 user
ROAD is a long-used acronym for Radiology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesia, Derm that refers to highly competitive specialties that offer great salaries and good lifestyle. Those specific four residencies are not the only ones anymore (rad-onc offers similar qualities) and anesthesia is not as competitive as it was several years ago. However, the ROAD term remains to describe specialties that have these characteristics.

In the future, the search function can be helpful for finding definitions to some of these proprietary terms.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and I've been coming across the acronym "ROADS" quite a lot. I don't know what it stands for :oops:. Could someone help me out?

The acronym is ROAD (no S) and it's a several decade old acronym for the four specialties which at the time provided a healthy balance of competitiveness, salary and light workload. Those specialties were radiology, ophthalmology, anesthesiology, and dermatology. It should be noted that anesthesiology has had an up and down history in terms of competitiveness and is now not as unattainable as the other fields, rad onc has since become a separate specialty from radiology and probably offers comparable competitiveness, salary and hours, and many pundits would suggest that thanks to shift work, EM now offers better hours for the buck than many of the more competitive field. But the ROAD acronym persists in the medical vernacular.

The acronym is ROAD (no S) and it's a several decade old acronym for the four specialties which at the time provided a healthy balance of competitiveness, salary and light workload. Those specialties were radiology, ophthalmology, anesthesiology, and dermatology. It should be noted that anesthesiology has had an up and down history in terms of competitiveness and is now not as unattainable as the other fields, rad onc has since become a separate specialty from radiology and probably offers comparable competitiveness, salary and hours, and many pundits would suggest that thanks to shift work, EM now offers better hours for the buck than many of the more competitive field. But the ROAD acronym persists in the medical vernacular.

thank you for your acknowledgement of my work....:D

thanks everyone! I did try searching but it kept coming up the acronym only. sorry lol. Anyway thanks for quick replies.

This:

brogden_road_4.jpg