Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trisphorin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advice here on what to study for spring break. i have been using first aid for ms2 classes but have never read it systemically. I was thinking to read 2015 first aid cover to cover over the coming spring break (~10 days). but a friend of my showed me a the cotran book. the questions seem challenging but well written. which one would you recommend? read FA cover to cover or finish the ~1,000 questions in cotran? btw, i have been doing questions from qbanks consistently but i want to add another questions source.

Members don't see this ad.

for step 1? don't do robbins. do first aid. actually, don't do either, it's spring break, not spring studying ;)

robbins = crazy detail
first aid = high yield

actually robbins is good for class but i would never recommend sacrificing time with first aid for time with robbins for board study.

I think he was asking about Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology which has practice questions and NOT the Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease which is a textbook.
IMHO it's great for pathology review and many people have scored well on Step 1 using this Q book.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First Aid. The QBook isn't high-yield enough and contains a lot of minutia.

QMax (UsmleRX) that will drill first aid into your head

Everyone says this. I'm like a day or two from completing the bank and it hasn't drilled **** into my head. Most if it I already knew...and no I'm not one of those crazy know-it-alls. My baseline on CBSE was a 210 after a month of studying...s

Everyone says this. I'm like a day or two from completing the bank and it hasn't drilled **** into my head. Most if it I already knew...and no I'm not one of those crazy know-it-alls. My baseline on CBSE was a 210 after a month of studying...s
That only proves that everyone has different learning styles and there is no one recipe which fits all.

Reactions: 1 user
Meh. I started M2 using those questions and ultimately gave it up. Just didn't think it was worth the time. Some of the questions were good and they had some OK images, but it felt like for every good question there were 2 or 3 that were poorly written or vanishingly low yield (which you'd only have gotten if you'd read the Robbins chapter immediately before doing the questions). I've realized that there's probably not enough space in my brain to know everything about the subjects that are truly HY, so I've given up on voluntarily sacrificing my time and effort on things I know aren't.

I really like robbins review. Most of the questions are great and the crappy minutiae questions might be the only time I see a gene rearrangement that ends up being on my step 1 form. I do them alongside classes even though I don't read robbins. Doing more questions never hurt anyone.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been using the review to study for path throughout MS2. I have been doing pathoma + reading the associated Robbins chapters and then using Robbins + Lippincotts Q&A. I have found Robbins to be more difficult and detail oriented than Lippincotts.