Robbins Review of Path Question Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimi1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think of this book? I have been using it a bit and feel like it helps you memorize certain key things. I was wondering how the questions compare to the real Step 1? More straight forward? Easier or more difficult?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Robbins Review helped me in class, helped me with QBank, and helped me with the NBME practice exams that I have taken. Haven't taken the real step 1 yet, but if I had to choose ONE question source for pathology... Robbins, hands down!

mimi1 said:
What do you all think of this book? I have been using it a bit and feel like it helps you memorize certain key things. I was wondering how the questions compare to the real Step 1? More straight forward? Easier or more difficult?

Thanks!

I thought the text was an excellent source of questions, especially as it repeats important concepts throughout the same chapter only in a different way of asking a question. Definitely use that book. I found those questions to be rather on par with the actual exam. Good preparation in making the mental jumps you need to make to answer questions.

Does anybody know the correlation between how well you did in Robbins Review Qs book vs. the real exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to say because I doubt people keep track of their cumulative averages.

This book is a masterpiece though, with very challenging, thought-provoking questions. I would say if you score above 70% you will do very well on the real thing. Even after reading a chapter in BRS and Goljan, I would rarely break 70%. But unlike QBank, which emphasizes ridiculous detail (like some crappy muscle in the leg inserts on the proximal 3/5 of the tibia), I felt like I had really learned a lot from my mistakes.

mrdowntoearth said:
Does anybody know the correlation between how well you did in Robbins Review Qs book vs. the real exam?

I thought that the "final examination" in the back was especially representative of the path on the real test. They involve mostly common and semi-common things, yet have a few oddballs mixed in.

nrosigh said:
It's hard to say because I doubt people keep track of their cumulative averages.

That's true... most people don't, but you see I have OCPD and that means that all of the answers to questions I have done that are from hard copy sources are in a handy dandy Excel spreadsheet on my laptop, which I wear on my belt. So not only do I have a cumulative score but one for each section. Go ahead an prescribe me some meds now. I don't take the USMLE for another two weeks, but if I remember I'll post my Robbin's Question average with my real score in about 5 weeks, give or take.

Holy crap I never thought I would meet anyone more compulsive then me - but it goes to show, the world's a very big place.

stochastic said:
That's true... most people don't, but you see I have OCPD and that means that all of the answers to questions I have done that are from hard copy sources are in a handy dandy Excel spreadsheet on my laptop, which I wear on my belt. So not only do I have a cumulative score but one for each section. Go ahead an prescribe me some meds now. I don't take the USMLE for another two weeks, but if I remember I'll post my Robbin's Question average with my real score in about 5 weeks, give or take.

I think robbins review is a great resource and the questions seem comparable to nbme path q's. They make you think in a clinical context, without dwelling on as many obscure details as Q-bank. I think the wording approximates NBME more than Q-bank. Maybe there is some bias on my part though since I score higher on Robbins than Q-bank.

nrosigh said:

This book is a masterpiece though, with very challenging, thought-provoking questions. I would say if you score above 70% you will do very well on the real thing. Even after reading a chapter in BRS and Goljan, I would rarely break 70%. But unlike QBank, which emphasizes ridiculous detail (like some crappy muscle in the leg inserts on the proximal 3/5 of the tibia), I felt like I had really learned a lot from my mistakes.

I agree. I averaged close to 95% on the BRS Path Q's, 80-85% on Goljan's Q's, and about 73% on Robbins Q's. I found the Robbins Q's most like the Step 1 Path Questions, but be ready for very few straight Pathology questions on your Step 1 exam (they're mainly integrated into other subjects).