Rochester, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abra1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have any info. about the town of Rochester, NY. I was accepted into the md program there, but the one thing holding me back is the fact that I want to be in an urban environment, or at least a city with lots to do. The Admissions Office has said great things about the town, but I was hoping for some more opinions....What do you guys think? Thanks for the help..... :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from the U of R (undergrad), so I'm familiar with the city. I definately enjoyed my 4 years there. It's not a huge city or anything, but there's lots to do. There's a lot of culture... museums, theaters, etc. The city is small enough that nothing is very far away, but it's big enough to have that urban feel. I don't know where you're from, so I can't compare it to what you are used to, but I think you'd be happy there. The cost of living is very reasonable. One bad thing: the weather sucks. Lots of snow and cold. UR med school is an excellent school, so I say you should definitely take advantage of the opportunity to attend. Congrats! :)

I agree with what Amitha said...I grew up in Rochester, and will be going to med school here next year (so I must think it's not that bad). There are plenty of clubs/bars/theaters/things to do, just NOT the same number/variety as, say, NYC. You can check out my post under Rochester - worth the extra money? for a little more info. If you have any more or specific ?s feel free to email me directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
i never went to school there or grew up there, but the few times i visited there, it was pretty bland. if you're really looking for an urban atmosphere, you're going to the wrong place. i'm sorry but it ain't nothing like nyc! but, if you want to go to a great school, i totally suggest u of r. my friend goes there and he really enjoys everything but the weather...

I said that Rochester is NOT like NYC. If it was, I wouldn't be living here ;) .

What IS like NYC?? No one is comparing Rochester to NYC. But, there are lots of great cities that aren't nearly the size of New York.