Rochester (URSMD) vs Einstein (AECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveCoffee

Reaction score
Rochester (accepted)
Pros
  • I really love PBL and like the structure of their program - I am ok with the recorded lectures only being available for a few days after lecture and appreciate the expectation of being in the building 8-5
  • Biopsychosocial model>>>
  • They have doctors in the specialty I am interested in, one of whom I have contacted and has said he would be happy to have me on his research team once I've gotten established at URSMD
  • Smaller class size
  • Three students in the past four years have matched to the type of residency I want to match to, two having matched back to UR/Strong and one having matched to the university I am leaving behind (both I would be really happy with)
  • Cheap student housing but not guaranteed (I am currently on the wait-list for that, #65/270 on the wait-list for my desired apartment type, the lady said about 70% total who apply get some form of student housing)
  • Small need-based scholarship, but fin aid at Einstein is unknown so could get about the same or better at Einstein
Cons
  • Awful winters
  • Smaller city - I grew up in the suburbs of NYC and have always considered NYC to be home, Rochester is a smaller city with less public transportation and less diverse of a patient population, this is the major con for them
  • ~5-6 hour drive from home so couldn't go home on the weekends, I have no close friends in Rochester

Einstein (HPWL, need to make a decision fast if I get in)
Pros
  • Love NYC, love the Bronx
  • With NYC comes great public transit and close proximity to family and close friends such that I could go home on the weekends
  • Cheap student housing that's much closer to guaranteed (I think they told us 90-95% of students live in student housing)
  • More diverse patient population - this is important to me, I am passionate about helping underserved communities

Cons
  • They don't have doctors in the specialty I am interested in, but NYP-Columbia and NYP-Weill Cornell both do so I could still reach out to them, I'd just have to commute to shadow them or do research with them
  • They have only had one student in the past four years match to the type of residency I want to match into and it was to an institution I wouldn't want to go to
  • Their student body doesn't seem as close as URSMD - the students seem more independent with fewer students attending lecture and more studying on their own
  • Their curriculum doesn't seem as hands-on, they've shortened classroom time to 1.5 years in order to increase time spent on clinicals whereas URSMD weaves clinical experiences into the 2 years of classroom time, I like the latter approach better
  • Unknown fin aid, haven't gotten to meet new students or get a proper feel for their program

Summary: I've been accepted at URSMD a while and feel much better connected to them, they are probably the best fit for me as a program, but their location does not compare to that of AECOM, I would love to be closer to family/close friends and to be in a more diverse and bustling city. Thanks in advance for any insight!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! Tough one.. chiming in since I had the exact same decision two years ago.

To me it sounds like Rochester is a better fit for you given what you've stated. I think that's the most important thing since you will be spending most of your time in class, the wards, and studying. Therefore, being in an environment where you learn well and feel comfortable is #1.

I also wanted to provide reassurance that Einstein (which I ended up choosing) does also weave clinical experience starting year 1 and has several years of implementing PBLs like most other schools have done recently.. following in UR's lead. So I think you will be happy no matter where you end up deciding on.

Well done, and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Tough one.. chiming in since I had the exact same decision two years ago.

To me it sounds like Rochester is a better fit for you given what you've stated. I think that's the most important thing since you will be spending most of your time in class, the wards, and studying. Therefore, being in an environment where you learn well and feel comfortable is #1.

I also wanted to provide reassurance that Einstein (which I ended up choosing) does also weave clinical experience starting year 1 and has several years of implementing PBLs like most other schools have done recently.. following in UR's lead. So I think you will be happy no matter where you end up deciding on.

Well done, and good luck!
Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it. Lots to consider for sure

Reactions: 1 user