Rochester vs. SUNY Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HED

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any ideas guys? i'm into both school at this point. i findboth to be great and am not sure. i'm from long island so stony brook is closer by to family, etc...which is real great. i went to undergrad at rochester so i know the area there too.

Members don't see this ad.

Rochester is an awesome school. I would definitely go there...I think you'd be crazy to choose SB over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The tuition at SB is significantly lower than that of Rochester. And SB definitely has an excellent science reputation, although that would matter if you want to be involved in research during med school.

H-

I was also accepted at both; I'm gonna be at SB this Aug. I'm also a NYS resident.

I chose SB for the financial reasons; I couldn't justify the difference in cost for the same two letters after my name. But that's me...the debt load is a HUGE thing for me. SB really seems to be picking up the NIH grants, but I cannot imagine that they are in the league of UR yet. I felt a bit more "pressure" that research would be forced/encouraged at UR than at SB, and I know that I am not looking to do the scientist route, so SB was better that way, too.

If you know that you're gonna do academic medicine or research, I'd say UR is better for ya; if not, see ya on the Island.

Good luck wherever you go.

dc

Go to Stony

vish57 said:
Go to Stony

Are you waitlisted at Rochester or did you just really not like it at all?

HED said:
any ideas guys? i'm into both school at this point. i findboth to be great and am not sure. i'm from long island so stony brook is closer by to family, etc...which is real great. i went to undergrad at rochester so i know the area there too.
Rochester is a little ahead of SB in terms of research money/ rep, but definitely NOT worth the difference of 100K.

I'd go wth SB. If this was Columbia or Cornell, it might justify the the huge difference in the price tag, but in this case, SB comes out on top because of cost.

Good Luck!

Knight-

I'd respectfully disagree that even the schools the caliber of Columbia or Cornell are worth an extra 100K - UNLESS you are seeking the recognition in academics that the aforementioned would offfer. Is the Match List THAT much better at those schools?

Full disclosure: I am going to SB, so I'm quite biased.

dc

HED said:

I would pick SB, im applying for 2006, if i get into both (highly unlikely), i would choose SB b/c of price and since ur in LI, its closer to home. I go to SB undergrad right now, and the medical school is pretty nice, much better than the mediocre UG education. I haven't seen rochester, but i wouldnt wanna only come home for vacations.

Go to StonyBrook. Like other posters said, Rochester is a great school, but is not worth that much extra money. If you think about it, it would be about double the price to go to Rochester. At Rochester, you have to pay 40k in tuition alone, plus money for housing, food, traveling, clothes, etc. At Stony Brook, you would pay 18k for tuition and that's practically it. You don't have to pay for housing or anything because you live on LI, and you can live at home when you do your rotations bc the rotations are probably around the area that you live. Think about it: 250k in loans at Rochester or less than 100k at Stony Brook?

I am a little bias here bc I live on LI and want to go to Stony Brook, but do the math. There is no comparison.

Thanks for all your replies! I've definitely spent the weekend thinking about it and throwing ideas back and forth with my parents and my friends (some of whom are from rochester med).

in case any of you guys were wondering, its stony brook for me! I can't wait!

bigdan said:
Knight-

I'd respectfully disagree that even the schools the caliber of Columbia or Cornell are worth an extra 100K - UNLESS you are seeking the recognition in academics that the aforementioned would offfer. Is the Match List THAT much better at those schools?

Full disclosure: I am going to SB, so I'm quite biased.

dc
Ppl on SDN tend to blow the match lists completely out of proportion. Just because 30 ppl matched into derm this year, there's no guarantee that future students will get the same good fortune (not that matching into derm is neccessarily good fortune, to each his own in that respect).

Point is, its what one does with the RESOURCES offered by the school that makes a real difference. Hospitals, connections.....I'd say Cornell is way ahead of SB in these (hell, the hosp for special surgery and Rockefeller Univ research positions alongside nobel laureates alone warrant choosing Cornell over SB).

Anyway, the point is moot. OP, good luck at SB!!

P.S. I will be attending NYMC this fall becuase that's the school I liked the most, even more than SB. However, if UPenn took me of the waitlist, I would attend UPenn in a heartbeat, even with NYMC's/SB's respective scholarships.

Yay SB!!! I'm going there too...
Just a question...how were u still on both acceptance lists till end of June? I thought they see which schools accepted you after May 15th and call u for a decision.
Regardless,
I'll see u guys there in August :thumbup:

Good luck Stony Brook matriculants! I really hope to see you guys around campus after I graduate from undergrad.

scoops418 said:
Are you waitlisted at Rochester or did you just really not like it at all?

Ok i admit it, I am waitlisted at Rochester. I went there undergrad and would like to go to med school there. I'm trying to free up spots for myself. :rolleyes:

vish57 said:
Ok i admit it, I am waitlisted at Rochester. I went there undergrad and would like to go to med school there. I'm trying to free up spots for myself. :rolleyes:

Haha thats what I figured. I hope it works out for you though. Good luck.