Rock and a Hard Place

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LReynol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some advice and feedback.

I am trying to scope out prospects for post-bacc work and am unsure as to what would be an ideal fit....

I finished a degree in undergrad with only one (Organismal Biology: C+) dismal science course to my name.

Overall GPA: 3.33

Decided that I would pursue DPT and cobbled together coursework between three institutions (two universities, and one community college).

Post-bacc
Science GPA: 3.77

University Work:
Anatomy: A (State School)
Physiology: A (State School)
Advanced Biology: A- (Loyola Chicago)

Chemistry A: B- (Loyola Chicago)
Chemistry B: AB (State School)

Community College:
Calculus: A (CC)
Org Chem I: A (CC)
Physics I: A (CC)

Recognize now that I want to pursue medicine but am worried as my records display a lack of consistency due to moving often despite upward trend. So now what? Settle down and just own a bunch of upper level post-bacc courses at one solid school (am confident in aptitude just need some strategy) or retake the entire prereq bloc?

I am tempted to just take the entire bloc all over at one school to demonstrate aptitude and consistency -- is this best? I recognize that the higher level courses at CC don't cut it and would love to just do a streamline post-bacc but I suspect traditional formal programs will see all the sciences and send me out the door. You see I have created quite an interesting predicament for myself.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you particularly have to worry about changing schools and changing your mind. That's normal. Just focus on putting together a great med school app from here out.

However, I don't see the premed prereqs in your list of coursework. The standard is one year each, with lab, of chem/ochem/bio/physics. This is the material tested on the MCAT. Chem/ochem/bio need to be the variants that are for chem/bio majors. Physics doesn't have to be calculus based, but it does have to include labs. Note that A/B/I/II are *not* standard coursework designations - look for the premed adviser web page or the bio/chem major web pages for info. There are "nursing" science tracks that are great, but don't prepare you for the MCAT or for med school - it looks to me like this is what you've taken.

In your shoes, I'd be looking for a 4yr university where I could do all the prereqs in series, as you mentioned. You might see some material again, but this way you'd have a nice clean year+ of dedicated premed work.

Go ahead and apply to structured formal postbacs - see what happens. Shop around, though, don't skip over public schools or extension programs that have good reputations.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks DrMidLife. You appear to be a reservoir of info and guidance for a lot of people who are anxious and lost amidst a complex process. Your efforts are certainly appreciated.

I totally agree - Dr. Midlife is very very helpful!!! Thank you Dr. Midlife for the responses you gave to me earlier too!