Rocky Vista "Turmoil"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not that I care much, but I'd love you to tell me about how excited you would be going to a school that doesn't have some sort of check stop to ensure that their class is prepared for boards. From the moment you set foot on campus, EVERYTHING you are told is to prepare you for boards. Hell.... technically, every test you take is an assessment of your preparedness. You're telling me your school doesn't have a minimum passing GPA? Do they not offer course remediation? Do they let students with say... sub 2.0 GPAs sit for the test? It's not a matter of 'skewing pass rates'. It's a safety catch for ALL students to set requirements before they move to the next level. Do you have any idea how much weight a failure carries in your career? Honestly we're all fortunate (read: any school that ensures their students are ready to take the COMLEX) to have filters to catch students before they do damage to their careers. I applaud your schools pass rate, and I'm not ripping on your school in ANYWAY, but I do request you show a little respect to other schools. That said... I think you should be afforded the same respect and i applaud your desire to stand up for your school :thumbup:

If only what you said was true, then no problem, but it just isn't. Schools and students try to manipulate their board scores for no other reason than marketing, to atttact better students. They want to fill their classes and have better students that won't flunk out. One of their marketing ploys is the Level I boards, and right now it's apples and oranges the way schools play with these figures. Yea, "School or Schools X"brags about their board pass rate, but they don't mention that they hold people back until they know that they can pass them. It's the schools and they way they want to manipulate statistics.

The data that is really meaningful is the 1) first time taker pass rate; and 2) the time certain in which students have to take the boards and the amount of study time afforded them. (Eventually everyone has a 100% pass rate, either thru retakes or attrition, but that NOT first time takers). If all things were equal, that would be fine. There not.

Look, I don't want to burst your bubble. If you think that schools are doing that for the sake of the students, keep believeing that. But then, lets be honest about comparing pass rates on the Boards, and put in all the facts!

Members don't see this ad.

If only what you said was true, then no problem, but it just isn't. Schools and students try to manipulate their board scores for no other reason than marketing, to atttact better students. They want to fill their classes and have better students that won't flunk out. One of their marketing ploys is the Level I boards, and right now it's apples and oranges the way schools play with these figures. Yea, "School or Schools X"brags about their board pass rate, but they don't mention that they hold people back until they know that they can pass them. It's the schools and they way they want to manipulate statistics.

The data that is really meaningful is the 1) first time taker pass rate; and 2) the time certain in which students have to take the boards and the amount of study time afforded them. (Eventually everyone has a 100% pass rate, either thru retakes or attrition, but that NOT first time takers). If all things were equal, that would be fine. There not.

Look, I don't want to burst your bubble. If you think that schools are doing that for the sake of the students, keep believeing that. But then, lets be honest about comparing pass rates on the Boards, and put in all the facts!

I see you really like the kool-aid
Kool-Aid.jpg

In all honesty you appear to be barking up the wrong tree. What your describing only happens overseas. Differentiate between a school which identifies the weaker students and puts them into intensive review prior to their boards and schools which hold people back, force extra time on them, and/or delay test taking by more than 2 months. Offshore schools are know to only allow the best x% to take the test and report only the pass rate of those who they clear for testing, while some large percent of the class must repeat entire semesters or years. There is also decent enough statistical dissonance to suggest that some of their stats is "final pass rate" not "first time pass rate." LECOM is known to give the lowest x% extra help *prior* to the do or die time so that everyone does take it on time and the pass rates are the first time pass rate and everyone takes it around the time they would expect based on enrollemnt date.

Helping the weaker students in the run up to the test and preventing them from competing at all are two different things.

Full disclosure: I'm no fan of LECOM's system because it can prevent you from taking the test *when you want to* but it wont prevent you from taking it *on time*. But I am also very well studied on the offshore school trends and techniques and what you described was pretty much exactly what I'd say about the offshore schools, not LECOM. So I had to jump in, if only to point out that your unhappiness was pointed at the wrong system.