Rocky Vista "Turmoil"?

Started by smg111622
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh i know they exist. They are massively criticized for being the only people more cold to patients than HMOs. But, he should be a governor. Do not forget that this guy *made money*. Someone who proves they know where to cut costs and where to deny payment will make a great governor because they can assure that money isnt lost by properly divvying it up and denying it to projects which dont deserve it.

ConfusedDog.jpg

LOL WUT?
 
hahaha. I was a political science major before entering medical school. Even though I'm personally liberal (see: supports spends money on 'nice' causes as if my funds were infinite), its pretty much dogma that if you can make those you are accountable to happy without spending more than you take in, you've done your job perfectly as a leader.
 
Acutally a med school could create residencies by funding those spots itself ... but that was the entire issue when RVU first brought it up. They can say it but they were never going to spend $100K per residency spot. Of course most applicants would not realize that and so they would be mislead.

Here we go guys. 10 internal medicine residencies for RVU student at Parkview Medical Center, Pueblo, CO.
"The residency program grew out of talks between former Parkview CEO C.W. Smith and Rocky Vista University officials"

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/article_3d02af5c-f600-11df-afe1-001cc4c03286.html
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here we go guys. 10 internal medicine residencies for RVU student at Parkview Medical Center, Pueblo, CO.
"The residency program grew out of talks between former Parkview CEO C.W. Smith and Rocky Vista University officials"

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/article_3d02af5c-f600-11df-afe1-001cc4c03286.html

Thanks for sharing ....

just as an aside though, that article is sooo poorly written. Always great when they broadcast 'OSTEOPATH' in the article title, but even better when they comment about 'osteopathy moving toward general medicine over time' and sandwich this verbal poetry in between some grammatical and spelling errors.

BUT, still a good thing that residencies are at LEAST in talks. Pumping a bunch of residencies into CO will help RVU win public favor, and positive PR and WOM in the community will be the best thing for a controversial new school right now.
 
For all of the naysayers, it looks like RVU has create 10 IM residencies.

Well, actually it's 30 slots, with Parkview taking 10 students per year!. I know this because I met with the residency director during hospital day here on campus last Friday.

Think about it, residency programs have to be spaced out over the period of the residency! You wouldn't have a program if you filled all your resident slots in the first year, and then couldn't take anyone new for the following three years or so!

Ya just gotta get the facts right out there people, and if your going to say something, know what your saying!
 
10 IM slots per year in Pueblo! Great!

The RVU administration promised 300 new residency slots: only 290 more to create by the beginning of interview season this coming fall! (OK, if you want to call it 30 slots, you can, but that still leaves 270 more)

I stand by my assertion back in 2007 that 300 was a ridiculous claim, and it is disingenuous of the RVU administration to promise anything of the sort.
 
Well they must have meant over 30 years they would create 300 residency slots. That must be it.
 
If they made it a 7-year program, then they could have 70 slots and provide primary care for everyone in Pueblo and probably even the trailer park residents in Colorado City. Now that would actually address the needs of an underserved population.
 
I would love to hear about the school from current students. Please let us know what your experience at the school has been.
 
Y'all seemed to miss this part:

"Osteopaths, Nafziger explained, "are trained more in musculoskeletal medicine and manipulation. As time goes on, we're seeing the two disciplines (osteopathy and general medicine) kind of merge. Many (residency) programs out there can accept doctor of osteopathy o M.D. students. That's our plan, as well. Within five years, we plan to become accredited to take M.D. students, as well.""
 
Are RV students guaranteed to be eligible for financial aid after the fourth year of the schools opening?
 
Are RV students guaranteed to be eligible for financial aid after the fourth year of the schools opening?

If you mean federal loan funding, then no. RVU students are currently eligible for the in-house RVU loans. The school hasn't announced for sure when they will be eligible for government loans. It was supposed to be immediately after they graduate their first class, but now they've said it might not happen that soon.
 
Why on earth would anybody accept to take on that much debt with private loans? That is crazy people! For those of you considering any school that does not offer Stafford loans....just beware. You are going to be in a huge mountain of debt. Don't walk away, run away from these schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why on earth would anybody accept to take on that much debt with private loans? That is crazy people! For those of you considering any school that does not offer Stafford loans....just beware. You are going to be in a huge mountain of debt. Don't walk away, run away from these schools.

If I have the choice, I will. I spoke with a current RVU student and, when asked if (s)he would do it all over again, said no but that they had to keep going or drop out with an impossible amount of debt. However, if one does not have a choice I suppose it's the best of a bad situation.
 
If I have the choice, I will. I spoke with a current RVU student and, when asked if (s)he would do it all over again, said no but that they had to keep going or drop out with an impossible amount of debt. However, if one does not have a choice I suppose it's the best of a bad situation.

for every 1 person who may regret going to RVU, there are many more who wouldn't change a thing.
you get the debt no matter what. the stafford loans aren't that much better. and the private loan i just applied for has the potential to be around 3% (like my 1st year loans)(can range from 2.25%-8.5%).
i'm not trying to convince you to apply, i just want to make sure you get the facts before deciding where to spend 4 years of your life.
 
I won't get in to any of the potential issues about profit vs non profit or any of the potential problems discussed. In the end nomatter if it was DO or MD, profit or non profit, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going to a brand new school. I'd wait for at least 5 or 6 classes to graduate, look at Comlex scores and matchlists and make sure the dust has settled before I applied. If I diddn't have any other options, then I'd go for it, but I tend to be very risk adverse.
 
Last edited:
for every 1 person who may regret going to RVU, there are many more who wouldn't change a thing.
you get the debt no matter what. the stafford loans aren't that much better. and the private loan i just applied for has the potential to be around 3% (like my 1st year loans)(can range from 2.25%-8.5%).
i'm not trying to convince you to apply, i just want to make sure you get the facts before deciding where to spend 4 years of your life.

Understood. Thanks 🙂
 
for every 1 person who may regret going to RVU, there are many more who wouldn't change a thing.
you get the debt no matter what. the stafford loans aren't that much better. and the private loan i just applied for has the potential to be around 3% (like my 1st year loans)(can range from 2.25%-8.5%).
i'm not trying to convince you to apply, i just want to make sure you get the facts before deciding where to spend 4 years of your life.

How did you get private loans that low? The only loans I've heard of like that are the old federal loans. Now the stafford loans are around 6.55%. Most private loans are 8% or higher unless you did a second mortgage on your parents house as collateral, and if that's the case you are very lucky and your parents are very trusting. Heck, if I could find loans that have the potential to be that low, I'd take them out now and pay off my stafford loans in full.
 
How did you get private loans that low? The only loans I've heard of like that are the old federal loans. Now the stafford loans are around 6.55%. Most private loans are 8% or higher unless you did a second mortgage on your parents house as collateral, and if that's the case you are very lucky and your parents are very trusting. Heck, if I could find loans that have the potential to be that low, I'd take them out now and pay off my stafford loans in full.

in 2008 sallie mae had those loans, then they took them away, and now, starting this fall they are back. it is called the 'smart loan' now.
 
I would love to hear about the school from current students. Please let us know what your experience at the school has been.

I just started this year --- and I love it. Great school, great professors. That being said, I didn't want to attend this school or any other DO school. Fact of the matter is I had to. MCAT = 33, GPA = 3.8. Rehab = twice. MD schools don't look kindly upon that kind of thing.
 
I would love to hear about the school from current students. Please let us know what your experience at the school has been.

I just started this year --- and I love it. Great school, great professors. That being said, I didn't want to attend this school or any other DO school. Fact of the matter is I had to. MCAT = 33, GPA = 3.8. Rehab = twice. MD schools don't look kindly upon that kind of thing.

Any input on RVU vs. other DO schools? I'm interviewing at RVU, AZCOM, NSU, and LECOM-B.
 
Any input on RVU vs. other DO schools? I'm interviewing at RVU, AZCOM, NSU, and LECOM-B.

i wish i had more input for you, but i don't. i only interviewed at RVU and pacific northwest. RVU kicks some serious ass though. the dean is awesome, intelligent, on his game. professors rule. i'm telling you, this school is the great. ask any other RVU student -- i'm sure they'd say the same.
 
Last edited:
I won't get in to any of the potential issues about profit vs non profit or any of the potential problems discussed. In the end nomatter if it was DO or MD, profit or non profit, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable going to a brand new school. I'd wait for at least 5 or 6 classes to graduate, look at Comlex scores and matchlists and make sure the dust has settled before I applied. If I diddn't have any other options, then I'd go for it, but I tend to be very risk adverse.

Here's what I don't get: how come we haven't seen any new DO schools (from 5-6 years ago) that folded and/or now have awful "Comlex scores and matchlists"? Or lost their accreditation, for that matter? How about in the last 10 years? 20 years? Seriously, sometimes the arrogance here on these SDN forums is staggering.
 
Here's what I don't get: how come we haven't seen any new DO schools (from 5-6 years ago) that folded and/or now have awful "Comlex scores and matchlists"? Or lost their accreditation, for that matter? How about in the last 10 years? 20 years? Seriously, sometimes the arrogance here on these SDN forums is staggering.

No medical school (that I can think of) has lost accreditation in the last 100 years. Its chiropractic schools and a few law schools where you see really shoddy schools put up in a city somewhere and fold 2-3 years later.

Also, the board scores are much more a measurement of the student than the school. Saying you're afraid of scores not being good or accreditation not being there is dumb. They'll be there because the school wouldnt have students if its path to accreditation wasnt >99% certain, and board scores can be just fine even in a terrible educational environment. There is an argument that a terrible educational environment lowers the mean, but not a lot. A strong environment doesn't necessarily raise the mean, just enriches the individual. So I agree that those arguments are stupid.

what is *not* stupid is that the longer a school exists the better its connections grow. If by nothing else, having residents be in a program before you helps you get in there. And you need to only look at any newer school, or any old school when it was new, to see that is the case. Touro-NY got a lot of attention when they matched to some really competitive places with their first class. It was surprising and impressive... but it also wasn't *that* impressive. It was impressive for a new school to somewhat ditch the trend, but they were still a decent example of the limitations of a first class (with a lot of impressive outliers, but not enough to change the final assessment of the whole class).

What is also *not* stupid is a lingering concern that program directors will take a negative stance towards for profit education. The flexner report is like the holy bible, especially in the MD world. This is one of those tenants that everyone can cite as a major reason why hundreds of medical schools had to shut after the flexner report. There will be PDs out there who will not take RVUCOM students on principle. The speculation is about how many of those PDs are out there. Could be very few, could be tons. Honestly there isn't any way to tell. A qualified student should get what they're qualified for, but thats not how the world works. Its fair to be concerned about that, though I'd caution not to get too worked up about it when we really have no idea how big of a problem that might be. (also of note: most RVUCOM students are military, if I understand correctly. The military doesn't give a damn about the for-profit nature)
 
What is also *not* stupid is a lingering concern that program directors will take a negative stance towards for profit education. The flexner report is like the holy bible, especially in the MD world. This is one of those tenants that everyone can cite as a major reason why hundreds of medical schools had to shut after the flexner report. There will be PDs out there who will not take RVUCOM students on principle. The speculation is about how many of those PDs are out there. Could be very few, could be tons. Honestly there isn't any way to tell. A qualified student should get what they're qualified for, but thats not how the world works. Its fair to be concerned about that, though I'd caution not to get too worked up about it when we really have no idea how big of a problem that might be. (also of note: most RVUCOM students are military, if I understand correctly. The military doesn't give a damn about the for-profit nature)

A quick skim of wikipedia's page on the Flexner Report turned up this little gem:

"Proprietary medical schools should either close or be incorporated into existing universities. Medical schools should be part of a larger university, because a proper stand-alone medical school would have to charge too much in order to break even."

While this is all fine and dandy, I think we should be mindful that we are talking about economic conditions OVER 100 YEARS AGO. If the state of CO is willing to put in the cash and the infrastructure to incorporate another medical school (even if it is private and for-profit) in order to increase the number of physicians practicing in the area, then more power to them. Look at the number of private medical schools out there in the country today. They're functioning just peachy without being "part of a larger university."

Also, what is a PD?

Edit: duh, right there. Are we talking residency program director here?
 
Also, what is a PD?

Edit: duh, right there. Are we talking residency program director here?

residency program director, the guy who ultimately has the final word on whether you get a residency spot or not. There are few of them (1 per program) and they talk to each other a lot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A quick skim of wikipedia's page on the Flexner Report turned up this little gem:

"Proprietary medical schools should either close or be incorporated into existing universities. Medical schools should be part of a larger university, because a proper stand-alone medical school would have to charge too much in order to break even."

While this is all fine and dandy, I think we should be mindful that we are talking about economic conditions OVER 100 YEARS AGO. If the state of CO is willing to put in the cash and the infrastructure to incorporate another medical school (even if it is private and for-profit) in order to increase the number of physicians practicing in the area, then more power to them. Look at the number of private medical schools out there in the country today. They're functioning just peachy without being "part of a larger university."

Also, what is a PD?

Edit: duh, right there. Are we talking residency program director here?

yea residency program directors.

Also of note: the flexner report was a evidence based study of which school formats created acceptable students and which didnt. You can argue (totally legimitately) that 100 years ago may not be the same as right now, but you'll run into a decent argument that there were enough students from for-profit but otherwise flexner approved schools to show statistical inferiority 100 years ago. Its still 100 years, but we blindly cling to our stats far too often until someone can create credible studies saying otherwise. Even for 100 years.

what is *more* relevant is that anyone who has looked into the issue (probably like.. 8 people... in the world... ever) will notice that the LCME explicitly bans for profit schools. We're COCA, you might say. Well the COCA accreditation standards are a "senior in high school plaigarism" of the LCME standards. That is to say, their standards are, clause for clause, identical to the LCME standards and even in the same format but with different word choice. They basically wanted to adopt the LCME standards for accreditation (cause they work), add a few onto the end about teaching OMM, and hope no one noticed because they chose synonyms for as many words as they could. The issue becomes that the clause where for-profit is mentioned instead of saying it is disallowed, it says it is discouraged (there is talk in COCA, and it may already have happened, to change that entire clause to only refer to profit on clinical year education, which changes the entire meaning of the section the clause is buried in). Discouraged doesn't bar, and RVU got through on a loophole due to poor word choice.

A loophole that was later approved and backed. A loophole that COCA full supports now and is trying to change the wording to support more openly. But a loophole. A few people in the higher ups of medical education (both DO and MD) were very pissed that COCA upheld the loophole when they got caught with their pants down on the issue. But all of that is a dead issue now that it's openly supported, (not that it shouldn't be. Just chronicling the issues that arose) and students seem to be doing fine. The concerns over RVU may have small flecks of legitimacy, but most of them are largely overblown, arguments that were resolved 3-4 years ago, or poorly targeted concerns (since the PDs is a legit concern, I'd think but few people seem concerned about that, but maybe I'm overvaluing its possible effect)
 
Last edited:
In case those who think the Flexnor report is dead, Jama recently had an article which extoled its virtues a few weeks ago.
 
First of all, people are making a lot of assumptions about RVU without doing any real research. I was concerned about the for profit status and the accreditation status about the school so I met with the dean and asked him directly, he was very nice and didn't seem to be hiding anything. Their full accreditation is coming in about February of 2012, but the Title 14 accreditation (for federal loans) is still a few years out. Their COMLEX I first time pass rates are about 98% right now and their USMLE pass rates are about comparable to allopathic schools.

As far as the for profit status; there are advantages and disadvantages. A disadvantage is the stigma that it brings and RVU is looked down upon when people have no knowledge of the university. Advantages include a faculty that is held liable for its performance. Think about the universities you have attended, how many professors did you have that probably should not have been teaching due to incompetance or attitude? Those professors could stay around for years or permanently due to their protection and the amount of hurdles that needed to be overcome to let them go. If a professor at RVU isn't providing an outstanding teaching experience, they are replaced with someone better very quickly. If a piece of equipment is needed to enhance the educational experience, it is obtained quickly.

I applied and got accepted to RVU, DMU, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and Carver College. This may suprise you that I actually chose RVU, but I have my reasons. I love efficiency and this school is the epitome of efficiency. I liked the student body and faculty at RVU the best by FAR. I also think the curriculum at RVU is best suited to my learning style.

I know many of you will think I'm an idiot for my choices and won't believe the COMLEX and USMLE rates until they are formally published, but I don't believe the dean would be dean long if he was a liar. Anyway, before you form opinions on things that you have only heard second hand, do some research to actually make an informed decision. Don't take my word for it, the RVU staff is extremely accessable and open, take advantage of that.
 
My school has a fair number of RVU "refugees," both students and staff. They are legally unable to talk much about the circumstances for leaving, and that is something that concerns me. Most medical schools have physicians and academically minded people in the administration offices. Most of RVU's administration offices are financial lawyers. I would be hesitant to attend the school myself.

With that said, I'm sure the students that go there are going to end up with a decent education. The management of RVU has run medical schools in the Caribbean for years, they know how to get things done. In the end the student's that attend RVU will be physicians and will compete for all the same residencies that all other DO students go after; however, like I said before, my conversations with people that attended RVU and taught at RVU leave me with an uneasy feeling of the school.
 
First of all, people are making a lot of assumptions about RVU without doing any real research. I was concerned about the for profit status and the accreditation status about the school so I met with the dean and asked him directly, he was very nice and didn't seem to be hiding anything. Their full accreditation is coming in about February of 2012, but the Title 14 accreditation (for federal loans) is still a few years out. Their COMLEX I first time pass rates are about 98% right now and their USMLE pass rates are about comparable to allopathic schools.

As far as the for profit status; there are advantages and disadvantages. A disadvantage is the stigma that it brings and RVU is looked down upon when people have no knowledge of the university. Advantages include a faculty that is held liable for its performance. Think about the universities you have attended, how many professors did you have that probably should not have been teaching due to incompetance or attitude? Those professors could stay around for years or permanently due to their protection and the amount of hurdles that needed to be overcome to let them go. If a professor at RVU isn't providing an outstanding teaching experience, they are replaced with someone better very quickly. If a piece of equipment is needed to enhance the educational experience, it is obtained quickly.

I applied and got accepted to RVU, DMU, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and Carver College. This may suprise you that I actually chose RVU, but I have my reasons. I love efficiency and this school is the epitome of efficiency. I liked the student body and faculty at RVU the best by FAR. I also think the curriculum at RVU is best suited to my learning style.

I know many of you will think I'm an idiot for my choices and won't believe the COMLEX and USMLE rates until they are formally published, but I don't believe the dean would be dean long if he was a liar. Anyway, before you form opinions on things that you have only heard second hand, do some research to actually make an informed decision. Don't take my word for it, the RVU staff is extremely accessable and open, take advantage of that.

just as a note: tenure in graduate, and especially medical, education is almost non-existent. I know its something that sort of made its way into the mental lexicon, that inept professors can become entrenched... but honestly... you're going to have a hard time finding medical schools where poor professors stay on educational staff for more than 2 years. Its just the nature of the average medical education contract. They are evaluated and re-evaluated so often that it simply doesn't occur outside of few isolated incidents (and no, the general complaint that all OMM staff is incompetent because they teach OMM doesnt fly :laugh:). I used to think the rapid re-evaluation of all doctors at TouroCOM was something unique, but its not. If the school advertizes that they have teachers with more job responsiveness to performance quality, they are greatly exaggerating the case as its true everywhere and they know that. If it was just your read on it, then its a common misunderstanding of how the graduate level education works.
 
My school has a fair number of RVU "refugees," both students and staff. They are legally unable to talk much about the circumstances for leaving, and that is something that concerns me. Most medical schools have physicians and academically minded people in the administration offices. Most of RVU's administration offices are financial lawyers. I would be hesitant to attend the school myself.

With that said, I'm sure the students that go there are going to end up with a decent education. The management of RVU has run medical schools in the Caribbean for years, they know how to get things done. In the end the student's that attend RVU will be physicians and will compete for all the same residencies that all other DO students go after; however, like I said before, my conversations with people that attended RVU and taught at RVU leave me with an uneasy feeling of the school.

I'd love to say that this is nefarious and suspicious, but for many places its somewhat par for the course. You ask out of your contract (rather than being fired) for whatever reason, benign or malicious, and you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement. These people might have just been offered more money at other locations and wanted out of their current contract. That happens.

Of course, doesn't stop my imagination from hoping its something nefarious or, at least, worthy of discussion on here.
 
I'd love to say that this is nefarious and suspicious, but for many places its somewhat par for the course. You ask out of your contract (rather than being fired) for whatever reason, benign or malicious, and you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Specifically, it's called the non-disparagement agreement. It's a little paragraph in every separation agreement which an employee has to sign in order to receive a severance payment/package. It goes like this:

"Non-Disparagement. Employee agrees not to defame, disparage or demean Employer, its affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, joint ventures, officers and Board of Directors or their services in any manner whatsoever. Employer agrees that its officers and the Board of Directors shall not defame, disparage or demean Employee or his services in any manner whatsoever."
 
I'd love to say that this is nefarious and suspicious, but for many places its somewhat par for the course. You ask out of your contract (rather than being fired) for whatever reason, benign or malicious, and you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement. These people might have just been offered more money at other locations and wanted out of their current contract. That happens.

Of course, doesn't stop my imagination from hoping its something nefarious or, at least, worthy of discussion on here.

I see where you are coming from with faculty, but the students that were transferring were required to sign the same agreement.

The faculty members that taught there said that the "wished that RVU truly cared about the students the way that they said they did. Ultimately, it's about the money there."

With that said, I'd say that it is kind of about money everywhere. I've done the math and our tuition alone at our "non-profit" school is crazy (roughly $24,000,000 at my school)
 
People only go to this school if they have no other options, right? I guess in that case it's just making the best out of a bad situation. I'd probably reapply a few times and then go if I literally didn't get in to any other school. You'd have to be crazy to willingly take a situation with no government loans. Shutting yourself out of IBR is the worst decision anyone could make
 
People only go to this school if they have no other options, right? I guess in that case it's just making the best out of a bad situation. I'd probably reapply a few times and then go if I literally didn't get in to any other school. You'd have to be crazy to willingly take a situation with no government loans. Shutting yourself out of IBR is the worst decision anyone could make

You couldn't be farther from the truth. A lot of people go there because a) they're impressed with the dean and faculty, b) impressed with the very tight knit student body that is more than happy to help one another out c) impressed with the facilities/location d) impressed with their COMLEX success
 
You couldn't be farther from the truth. A lot of people go there because a) they're impressed with the dean and faculty, b) impressed with the very tight knit student body that is more than happy to help one another out c) impressed with the facilities/location d) impressed with their COMLEX success

Those things are all well and good, but none of those are unique to the school. You're a premed, you don't understand what paying loans back is like. How do you even pay them back in residency if IBR isn't an option? With the current system they can even be forgiven in ten years with IBR. In fact, i'd rather spend four years in a shack with a dictator as a dean than not have gov't loans. How a school can sucker in students because it has a nice building is beyond me
 
You couldn't be farther from the truth. A lot of people go there because a) they're impressed with the dean and faculty, b) impressed with the very tight knit student body that is more than happy to help one another out c) impressed with the facilities/location d) impressed with their COMLEX success

a) you realize your dean is, possibly, one of the most hated people in the medical student community because he is one of the pioneers of the current offshore student mass influx? I cant speak on the faculty, I actually have heard they are very nice. On the other hand there is at least one dean who is a recent past president of a medical society and considered hero by DO and MD school students.

b) That, as a statement, is not unique among DO schools. There are some very gunner-filled MD schools but DO schools *tend* to encourage a lot of closeness and school community pride. Again, idk if there is something specifically unique about RVU though.

c) sure. I got nothing there. I would love to be near the rocky mountains for skiing. The east coast doesnt always cut it for my ski needs

d) having a 99% pass rate with 15 people left is nothing special when multiple schools pull off 98, 99 and 100% (bradenton, I believe) every year with their entire class. They haven't reported what it was like once the last 15 came in. If its any comparison, my schools passing percent dropped about 7 percent with the last 15 people, down to just below the average (93%, if i recall right)

Yea, I'm nitpicking because people do NOT pick schools for actual factually based reasons, but rather do to convenience, personal bias, and good salesmanship. I try to not let subjective experience presented as fact get by without being a bit of a fact checker on the matter.
 
a) you realize your dean is, possibly, one of the most hated people in the medical student community because he is one of the pioneers of the current offshore student mass influx? I cant speak on the faculty, I actually have heard they are very nice. On the other hand there is at least one dean who is a recent past president of a medical society and considered hero by DO and MD school students.

b) That, as a statement, is not unique among DO schools. There are some very gunner-filled MD schools but DO schools *tend* to encourage a lot of closeness and school community pride. Again, idk if there is something specifically unique about RVU though.

c) sure. I got nothing there. I would love to be near the rocky mountains for skiing. The east coast doesnt always cut it for my ski needs

d) having a 99% pass rate with 15 people left is nothing special when multiple schools pull off 98, 99 and 100% (bradenton, I believe) every year with their entire class. They haven't reported what it was like once the last 15 came in. If its any comparison, my schools passing percent dropped about 7 percent with the last 15 people, down to just below the average (93%, if i recall right)

Yea, I'm nitpicking because people do NOT pick schools for actual factually based reasons, but rather do to convenience, personal bias, and good salesmanship. I try to not let subjective experience presented as fact get by without being a bit of a fact checker on the matter.
Yea, so here we go again. DocEspana, the "fact checker"! I'm ashamed of you for not getting your facts right. So let someone who actually goes to school here set them straight:

A) I'm not sure why your ragging on the Dean, because he has absolutelty no Carribean connection, and wasn't the Dean when the school opened. Are you thinking of the owner? Yea, sure he had a carribean connection. By the way, our school is in NO WAY affiliated with the carribean school (which I think he has now sold). No rotations there (it would be cool if we could, and we don't open any rotations for for them here). Get your facts right if your going to plaster them on SDN.

B. When I interviewed at other schools I wasn't as happy with their process as this one. Schools are different, and the personality of this one is friendly, and it is a close place with alot of pride.

C. You bet living near the Rockies is great. Location is always a factor. So whats your point!

D. If you checked some of the earlier posts, the past rate (first time takers) with EVERYONE having taken the exam is over 97% on comlex I. GET your facts right before you continue to slam a school with innuendo. There were four failures in the entire class. Oh, by the way, no LECOM games here, where you have to pass a school test, before they let you test the real exam. Hey, sorry your school pass rate is only 93%

Cmon now, people don't pick schools because of facts? REALLY? I hope they don't pick them based upon some of the tripe from pundits here on SDN. , if you want to go "round for round" then you really ought to know what your talking about. This is a great place, I'm getting a great education.
 
Yea, so here we go again. DocEspana, the "fact checker"! I'm ashamed of you for not getting your facts right. So let someone who actually goes to school here set them straight:

A) I'm not sure why your ragging on the Dean, because he has absolutelty no Carribean connection, and wasn't the Dean when the school opened. Are you thinking of the owner? Yea, sure he had a carribean connection. By the way, our school is in NO WAY affiliated with the carribean school (which I think he has now sold). No rotations there (it would be cool if we could, and we don't open any rotations for for them here). Get your facts right if your going to plaster them on SDN.

B. When I interviewed at other schools I wasn't as happy with their process as this one. Schools are different, and the personality of this one is friendly, and it is a close place with alot of pride.

C. You bet living near the Rockies is great. Location is always a factor. So whats your point!

D. If you checked some of the earlier posts, the past rate (first time takers) with EVERYONE having taken the exam is over 97% on comlex I. GET your facts right before you continue to slam a school with innuendo. There were four failures in the entire class. Oh, by the way, no LECOM games here, where you have to pass a school test, before they let you test the real exam. Hey, sorry your school pass rate is only 93%

Cmon now, people don't pick schools because of facts? REALLY? I hope they don't pick them based upon some of the tripe from pundits here on SDN. , if you want to go "round for round" then you really ought to know what your talking about. This is a great place, I'm getting a great education.

Lets go.
A) Yife Tien is both the founder and chancellor (aka a position able to act autonomously of the president of a company with complete control over one aspect of a business. Aka the deans "other" boss) of your school. Yife Tien is also currently RUNNING American University of the Caribbean. AUC. AKA the 3rd biggest caribbean school and the *creator* of the 50% attrition model. He is also on the board of the IAMC, a group which is currently attempting to get offshore schools to be LCME accredited and legally treated as US MD graduates. The worst part: the state of new york (through the long term committee on clinical clerkship education) is considering allowing this. Yes, I said it was your dean. I knew it wasn't the president. I feel like I should get extra credit for thinking it was a guy below the president, rather than someone with equal power to him.

B) Okay. Sounds fair. My comment was just that everyone always lists how close knit their school is when listing positive qualities of a DO school (its not *always* that way in the allopathic schools). It may very well be 100% true, its just not that impressive to someone already all jaded from hearing the identical comment at every school.

c) I'm jealous. 😀

d) The last time anyone has posted a score from RVUcom was the end of september. At that time it was stated as 97%. At that time (9/30) a different person stated that "about 10 or 15" scores hadnt come back yet. Score reports at that time were only available for up to August 1st. I do fully realize that most students take their stuff June and July. I also know that there is a 35-40% failure rate of comlex I in august (thanks: our statistician pre-clinical dean). The odds of having 3 or 4 failures in the time frame when 94% pass and then going 15 for 15 in a time frame when 40% fail... its really hard to believe without someone having a good direct quote from an identified member of the provost who would be able to be e-mailed and back up the info. If anyone had claimed 97% after that, it would be different, but I hadn't seen it. Yes, I'm responding with suspicion, but lets be honest, you dont have any posts that back you up and the it does seem odd that the definite quotes we do have say that 10 or 15 people consecutive passed during a time when over a third of people fail. A more recent update would, definitely, shut me entirely up. It's entirely possible! I'm just skeptical because of the documented way the 97% showed up and was never updated.

d.5) also, there are 9 different schools that have 98, 99 or 100% pass rate. So 97 still wouldn't be all that impressive, but I have to be an ass about this and point out that there is some "guess work" about the 97% from RVU because no one has updated on those last few.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Uh, Yife Tien sold his interest in AUC, look it up on the internet. I think that happened this summer. Check your facts. I'm not supporting him or defending him, but I'm not giving him a position he currently no longer holds.

In terms of the board scores, here an email from September 19th update sent by the Dean. There was one later, when the final board scores of the last two came in, somewhere in my trash email. I also know those two students and happen to know they passed, as well., I suppose I can send that your way, if need be, but, what-ever: Here ya go:

"
Faculty, Staff, and Student Doctors,

Late Friday we received what amounts to the final scores for Comlex I for the class of 2013. Only two scores remain outstanding. Those 2 scores are from students had to take the exam late because of illness or personal reasons. Although I am awaiting their results, I have no reason to believe it will alter the outcome of our board performance. In fact I am certain, knowing both of them, that their exam results will further improve what is already a stellar performance on behalf of RVUCOM students.

Our pass rate, with four failures on the exam for the entire class, yields a final pass rate of 97.32% . The national pass rate is 92.59%. I believe this pass rate either places us first in the country on the COMLEX I examination, or pretty close to it. I won’t have that final information until August of 2012 when the ranking will be released by the NBOME. Our USMLE I pass rate remains at 90%.

All of you, faculty, staff and students, congratulations on your hard work and accomplishments. You all are doing great things here at Rocky Vista University.

Dr. Dubin
 
Oh, and by the way, just who are the supposed 5 schools with the 98,99, or 100 % pass rates, where all students have taken the boards? Your not going to start with the LECOM thing now, are you?
 
ATSU, AZCOM, KCUMB, LECOM-B, OSUCOM, OUCOM, TCOM and Western.

Also Yief Tien was still releasing official press documents as chancellor of AUC as of August 2011 and is listed on their official website (and his facebook page, for what its worth) as the chancellor still. And he is most definitely still on IAMC as he's on the invite list to represent IAMC at NY's committee for long term clinical clerkship planning.

As for the e-mail. You definitely win one there my friend. Can't argue that then. Official e-mail trumps the comment history on here. I guess you win one (this) and I win one (Yife Tien still running his dad's old business). I don't want to be on the "anti-RVU" end of this, cause i try to defend the school from baseless hate for being for-profit. That isnt the end of the world at all, its just a different business model. But i also like to try to fact check some of the comments that don't mesh and force people to back them up, so i ended up on this end of the conversation.
 
Thu Aug 4, 2011 10:13am EDT

* Acquires Florida-based American University of the Caribbean
* Aims to boost post-baccalaureate level courses
* Shares up 1.2 pct (Follows alerts)
Aug 4 (Reuters) - For-profit education provider DeVry Inc said it acquired Florida-based American University of the Caribbean for $235 million to expand in medical and healthcare education and boost its post-baccalaureate level courses.
The deal follows industry bellwether Apollo Group's announcement last week that it plans to buy Carnegie Learning, a math curricula publisher, for $75 million.
The deals indicate signs of consolidation in a post-secondary education market that has been rattled by new regulations over the last two years.
The for-profit companies are buying smaller colleges in an effort to boost growth as student enrollments in their own campuses are falling.
With the AUC buy, DeVry hopes to tap into significant "unmet" demand in the United States for well trained, licensed physicians.



ATSU, AZCOM, KCUMB, LECOM-B, OSUCOM, OUCOM, TCOM and Western.

Also Yief Tien was still releasing official press documents as chancellor of AUC as of August 2011 and is listed on their official website (and his facebook page, for what its worth) as the chancellor still. And he is most definitely still on IAMC as he's on the invite list to represent IAMC at NY's committee for long term clinical clerkship planning.

As for the e-mail. You definitely win one there my friend. Can't argue that then. Official e-mail trumps the comment history on here. I guess you win one (this) and I win one (Yife Tien still running his dad's old business). I don't want to be on the "anti-RVU" end of this, cause i try to defend the school from baseless hate for being for-profit. That isnt the end of the world at all, its just a different business model. But i also like to try to fact check some of the comments that don't mesh and force people to back them up, so i ended up on this end of the conversation.
 
Oh, and by the way, just who are the supposed 5 schools with the 98,99, or 100 % pass rates, where all students have taken the boards? Your not going to start with the LECOM thing now, are you?

Not that I care much, but I'd love you to tell me about how excited you would be going to a school that doesn't have some sort of check stop to ensure that their class is prepared for boards. From the moment you set foot on campus, EVERYTHING you are told is to prepare you for boards. Hell.... technically, every test you take is an assessment of your preparedness. You're telling me your school doesn't have a minimum passing GPA? Do they not offer course remediation? Do they let students with say... sub 2.0 GPAs sit for the test? It's not a matter of 'skewing pass rates'. It's a safety catch for ALL students to set requirements before they move to the next level. Do you have any idea how much weight a failure carries in your career? Honestly we're all fortunate (read: any school that ensures their students are ready to take the COMLEX) to have filters to catch students before they do damage to their careers. I applaud your schools pass rate, and I'm not ripping on your school in ANYWAY, but I do request you show a little respect to other schools. That said... I think you should be afforded the same respect and i applaud your desire to stand up for your school 👍