ROL - Michigan vs Penn vs Hopkins vs BWH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadApp2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is what I've had for my top 6 for a while...
UCSF
MGH
Penn
Hopkins
BWH
Michigan

But I'm thinking about moving Michigan up to spot 3 after MGH. Just for context, I'm from the midwest. I love being outdoors and traveling. I am interested in academics. I don't have any constraints on location for residency or my career, but I think I can see myself ending up somewhere on the west coast (based on my love of the outdoors). I'm currently single, so I'm also hoping to go to a city with reasonable dating options.

I really love UCSF's program, and I think I would really enjoy living in the area. Therefore, I'm willing to take the hit on cost of living (and will unfortunately have to deal with living with roommates). I also really enjoyed MGH and Boston, and I think the structure of the 4th year is beneficial enough that I am willing to deal with the cost of living in Boston.

But I got to thinking, and Michigan has become really appealing to me after UCSF and MGH. I'm from the midwest, and I actually have a lot of very good friends who live in Ann Arbor. The cost of living is so much better, so I would have more extra cash for my travel interests.

So what do you guys think? For a person who values a comfortable lifestyle and is interested in an academic career, is Michigan a reasonable third choice?

Members don't see this ad.

I ranked Michigan over Penn, Hopkins, MGH. I just wanted to live somewhere that had good food, beer, but also a lot of natural parks and spaces. The only people I've met that have a complaint about Michigan are either in Urology, Neurosurgery, or not in a relationship. There are a lot more people in a city to date. We do get paid though, and I already have $10k saved 3/4 the way through intern year.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I ranked Michigan over Penn, Hopkins, MGH. I just wanted to live somewhere that had good food, beer, but also a lot of natural parks and spaces. The only people I've met that have a complaint about Michigan are either in Urology, Neurosurgery, or not in a relationship. There are a lot more people in a city to date. We do get paid though, and I already have $10k saved 3/4 the way through intern year.

Thanks so much for your comment, it's really helpful to hear from someone else who ranked Michigan over the other options.