ROL question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorDoc77

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the lowest someone you know has matched on the ROL list? The reason I'm asking is because I'm here busting my brains on which programs I'm ranking 6,7,8,9. I'm wondering if I should just flip coins if the chances are slim to none....

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, i've been wondering the same thing. even asked for a list of that info for students in past classes at my school and couldn't get it. apparently the NRMP no longer provides that data. anyone?

honestly, i've been wondering the same thing. even asked for a list of that info for students in past classes at my school and couldn't get it. apparently the NRMP no longer provides that data. anyone?

i don't know anyone who went lower than their number 2; then again this could be a bias, because I don't know if people would be comfortable volunteering that kind of information.

Personally, I am not brave enough to be comfortable thinking i'll rank in my top 2, so I fully intend to agonize 5,6,7!

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the lowest someone you know has matched on the ROL list? The reason I'm asking is because I'm here busting my brains on which programs I'm ranking 6,7,8,9. I'm wondering if I should just flip coins if the chances are slim to none....

Honestly, if you're at all competitive and a decent candidate, you should agonize over 1-5 and then do whatever w/ 6-10 (just make sure there's a 6-10). I ranked 1-6 by programs I liked (b/c I couldn't really decide b/w 5 and 6, I flipped a coin) and then ranked 7-10 based on location.

I'm agonizing over the ROL too. I know my number one and I know the last two programs on my list, but everything else isn't that clear. I know my number two spot is pretty important, but it's a three way tie between a okay program in what I consider a great location, a great program in a great location (but my home program and I was forward to residency as a chance to try something different), and a a great program in an okay location. I don't think I'll be unhappy at any of these (all have amazing residents), but can't be sure one would be better or worse than the other. Just wanted to complain. That and every single resident I have met has either ranked at the number 1 or 2 program-anybody even heard of some one ranking at 6 or 7th choice?

It's weird that you don't hear of people match at their #6, etc. The lowest I heard of was #4 (on this forum). You would think, given the small # of people that can go to any one program and the probability of you being high enough on so many lists, that there'd be a lot of 5, 6, etc. Some of it can be explained away by the chances of other people higher on the list ranking a different program higher, but statistically there have to be a lot of 5+s, right? :confused:

Either way, against the advice of a few attendings I know, I plan to fully agonize over my ENTIRE ROL. :p

I know two people who matched at #5

Didn't that "charting the results of the match" paper released by the NRMP suggest that about 80% get one of their top three (I forget the exact numbers)? If that were the case it would make sense that you don't hear about many folks going far down their list - but it would also speak volumes to how evenly spread out those "top three" are over candidates. If 80% get in their top three, that would mean it's unlikely that a large percentage of people rank the exact same program or few programs at the top of their list - which is probably secondary to the distribution of interviews.

However, in our SDN sample group, that does seem to happen (for example, see Cinci last year). Personally, I'm trying not to stress too much - I really love my number one, love my 2-6, and really like the rest of them a lot. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I would probably be happy almost everywhere I interviewed...

Personally, I'm trying not to stress too much - I really love my number one, love my 2-6, and really like the rest of them a lot. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I would probably be happy almost everywhere I interviewed...

Yeah, it's supposed to be like 85% getting their top three, so yay!

To be honest, I would do a crazy happy dance to match at my top 7 - the order just came down to geography in the end :)

If all else fails, just rank them alphabetically.

i know someone who matched at their #11. crazy stuff i know and very rare, but it happened

11th Hmmm . . . I guess I might put a bit more thought into the end of my list. I also guess if you got your 8th or 9th choice or so on, ya might not go bragging about it to people-so that might be another reason I didn't hear about it so much.

I know someone who matched at #13, and I ranked 13 and didn't match. Of course, there were mitigating circumstances for me.

i know 2 people who matched at number 5 in EM, i also know of 1 guy who didnt match..

Good luck.. FWIW most people i know got their #1 (including me) :)

i know 2 people who matched at number 5 in EM, i also know of 1 guy who didnt match..

Good luck.. FWIW most people i know got their #1 (including me) :)

Number five isn't bad. Not matching isn't good. Most people might get their number one, but right now I'm paroniod about worst case scenarios. Sorry my matchitis is flairing up.

The choice that ended up mattering for me was between 9 and 10. I interviewed at 14 and ranked 13. I matched at my #9. My #10 program didn't fill and they mailed me a letter later saying they ranked me and asked why I didn't rank them higher. So, I know I would have gone to that program if I had swapped 9 and 10. It stinks to be one of the rare people who didn't match in their top 3, but at least I didn't have to scramble. Rank ANY program you can. In hindsight, I ended up at a great program and am completely happy with how things worked out. Good luck!

It stinks to be one of the rare people who didn't match in their top 3, but at least I didn't have to scramble. Rank ANY program you can. In hindsight, I ended up at a great program and am completely happy with how things worked out. Good luck!

I want to second the above thoughts. I went further down my ROL than I wanted to, but am very happy with where I'm at. Every day I'm here, the more I'm happy with the result. I'm just glad I didn't have to scramble.

Don't kill yourself over the bottom of your ROL, but it does matter. So I wouldn't just blow off those choices.

It stinks to be one of the rare people who didn't match in their top 3, but at least I didn't have to scramble. Rank ANY program you can. In hindsight, I ended up at a great program and am completely happy with how things worked out. Good luck!

I second this as well. As you make your list, consider at each rank number whether you'd rather go to the program or not match. The statistics favor you matching in your top 3, but if your top 5 consist of California or other competitive programs, it's a good idea to have a longer list. Check out last year's rank list thread. There were a number of people who matched 1-3, but a good amount who matched lower, and a few who didn't match. (SDN may not be representative, but it's food for thought).

Of the 20 or so from my class who went into EM, I know people who matched between 1 and 7 of their ranklists, all of whom did 9 or 10+ interviews. A few were unhappy on match day, but I know for sure that those who matched 6 and 7 are very happy where they are--and wouldn't trade it for a prelim medicine or surgery spot and going through the match again.

I was fortunate enough to match at my #1, but in retrospect would rather have been at my #11 (which I didn't rank) than to scramble.