Rol time!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for posting. It's a great list.

Members don't see this ad.

it was a really hard decision for me at the end.... I loved everyone of my top 5 equally and this was my final rank list (changed it within 1 hr before deadline)
=P

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Right, but talking about the best psychiatry program in Chicago is like talking about the best 3point shooter in the chess club.

I just saw this comment. As the best 3-point shooter in my high school's chess club, I'm slightly offended (not really).

Last edited:
I just saw this comment. As the best 3-point shooter in my high school's chess club, I'm slightly offended.

You know what, I'll go so far as to say that I was the best 3-point shooter in the entire St. Louis area high school competitive chess community. And I remember there was at least one other person at those tournaments who knew that a basketball isn't just a really big orange.

Last edited:
I will also say that Hopkins is often criticized for being rigid, formal and hierarchical. There is some truth in this, but much less than I expected. Your #2 MGH is MUCH worse in those regards, but people are more willing to put with it because of the Harvard affiliation, the name brand of MGH/McLean, and being at the #1 academic supercenter for psychiatry in the world etc. It certainly has a nasty streak behind the surface which I did find at Hopkins.

If I thought it was a program to avoid you'd have heard about it by now! :laugh:

I am curious into why this sentiment seems relatively prevalent on this forum. I also heard another Boston resident make this comment. As a result I was expecting a formality and hierarchy on the interview day.

But I really did not get that impression at all for MGH McLean during my interview day and two second looks. I probably sat down and chatted with over twenty residents and faculty, and the residents were by far the warmest and nicest folks, and faculty seemed extremely supportive and genuinely interested in the potential of the applicant and treated me as a future colleague.

The only way I can think the others may get a different impression is based on the intern medicine experience, because all the psych folks seemed incredibly warm. But maybe I am totally missing something and that's why I am asking, because mgh is as close to a runaway #1 for me.

Could you tell me more about why people feel this way? Is this based on your interview day? The people? The curriculum.

Last edited: