Rol time!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't speak for the others, but throughout the process I realized prestige/name mattered less and less (for me and what I want), and between the diverse group of residents who seemed very happy and as well as the PD who was a very straight shooter in a way I respected (a la PD at Vermont, discussed elsewhere), it seemed like the place I would be happiest. Housing, location, etc doesn't hurt, but not a central factor in decision by a long shot.

Does SLR offer housing in NYC?

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to finally join in and post here.

1) Cornell
2) Columbia
3) UCLA - NPI
4) MGH
5) Longwood
6) Yale - Yale NH
7) Yale - St R
8) UW
9) UCSF
10) NYU

I loved all of these places and had an extremely difficult time deciding. Numbers 1-4 shifted a lot. In the end, the biggest factor that helped me finalize my list was city. NY>LA>Boston>Seattle>San Fran. All are great cities, but my personal ties to each place followed this order.

That being said, Yale was so great (both Rohrbaugh and the curriculum) that the program outweighed its location (Seattle or SF vs New Haven) It also felt crazy to put UCSF and UW, two programs where I loved the people I met and where I'd be very happy to train, near the bottom of my list. As long as I don't have to do the SOAP, I'll be a very happy camper. The bottom line is there are a lot of great places to train out there.

Congrats to everyone on getting this far along in the process.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's amazing to me how many people want to live in New York. $1,400 for a 388sq ft apartment, and the right to me crammed liked sardines and be engulfed by obnoxious New Yorkers nearly every second of the day. I just don't get the appeal.

Quick Program Overviews For Those Who Will Come After Us
Things that were important to me when looking at programs; academic program with strong inpt training, plenty of research opportunities, and a reasonable work schedule that would allow a good life work balance. The location was also important to me, however, I only applied to places where I thought I would be happy living.

1) UNC: great free standing psych hospital with a number of specialty units, add in the state hospital is 25 min away and I feel your inpt training would be fantastic. Lots of research (#11 in NIH funding), including in my specific area of interest. Residents seem happy and down to earth, and Chapel Hill is a great college town less than 30 min away from a major city. It has pretty much everything I was looking for in a program.

2)WPIC/UPMC: hands down the national leader in psychiatric research funding, incredible free standing psych hospital with 300+ beds and specialty units in pretty much everything, first hand evidence of very positive faculty resident interaction. I'm not sure the merits people use when judging the 'best residencies', but i would argue that WPIC deserves to be on short list of top programs in the country. Would have been my number 1, but the combination of heavy focus on IM (including what I consider medicine call) and the terrible weather dropped it to number 2. Would still love to match here though.

3)MUSC: Of all the places i interviewed, MUSC had the best feel. Beautiful campus with 2 separate dedicated psych only buildings. All resources, including the VA are located on campus. Free standing psych hospital with some specialty units (but not to the degrees of UNC or WPIC). Lots of reach, top 10 NIH funding, but none in my specific area of interest. Cool residents who seemed very happy. Didactics certainly on the lighter side. Charleston is a fantastic city. I considered this to be as high as #1, dropped to 3 though, with lack of my specific research interests being one of the big reasons. Would still absolutely love to match here. As I said,from the moment I walked onto campus the place felt right.

4)UNM: another place I absolutely loved. Kind of a dark horse as I ranked it ahead of a number of bigger 'name' places. I thought this was a strong program from top to bottom. Great faculty, including an awesome PD, strong inpt training, research in my areas of interest, good didactics, some special things including top notch rural psych, interesting opportunities in native American psych, cool IDEAS in psychiatry series. I loved this place, and similar to MUSC, it had a great feel. Main drawback was Albuquerque. Personally, I liked the city, but it's not terribly exciting, and its pretty isolated (I would have liked a major city to at least be in driving distance). Overall, a strong program though, and I would by no means be disappointed if I were to match there.

5)UC Denver- Denver, what a place. Far and away my favorite city that I encountered on the interview trail. The program itself, I see as a strong academic program. Great research track which dedicates time all 4 years including a month elective in PGY1. Was slightly underwhelmed by the inpt facilities (wasn't really excited that University Howpital no longer has a psych unit), but I do think pathology would be fine with Denver Health (the county program) and the VA. Lots of rumors, both on here and the interview trail, about malignancy in the program which I did NOT see on my interview day, but they do work harder than most programs, including what appears to be a pretty brutal PGY1. Denver and UNM for number 4 was the spot I most debated but in the end I gave it to UNM, which was my intitial gut feeling. I felt UNM had stronger inpt resources, a more welcoming feel, and another big thing being that I did not meet the Denver PD at all during my interview day. Apparently she and the assistant PD rotate which days they interview, but I found it really bizarre that she didn't even come to say hi. Certainly not a deal breaker, I would still be very happy to match here, but if I would have met her there is a good chance I would have moved it ahead of UNM.

6)Duke- probably the most 'prestigious' place I interviewed. Fantastic PD and great department chair. Tons of research, top 10 NIH, in pretty much every field of psych. University inpt unit lacking, but supplemented with state hospital (25 min away) and on campus VA. World class psychotherapy training, including tons of live supervision. Really an impressive place (calling it a place to AVOID,see other thread, is an absolute joke), however it does have some flaws. I couldn't get past the work schedule, topping 70hours a week the first two years with many, if not most, rotations being 6days/week. That is just not me. Duke was actually significantly lower on my list for quite some time, then I got my bearings and realized how strong of a program it actually is, and that although residents work very hard, the work is in a supportive and generally positive environment. I also have had multiple attendings, albeit ones who were therapy oriented, tell me they believed Duke was one of, if not THE, best psychiatry training programs in the county. This may be a stretch, but those are opinions from current attendings working in the field, neither of which actually trained at Duke. Certainly a good place to be, if you are willing to work hard, and I am.

7) HSS- one of the most (IMO unjustly) criticized residency programs on sdn. We get that it is not MGH, but to the general public, and honestly likely the vast majority of those in medicine, the Harvard name does carry a great degree of merit. The name, and the accompanying resources, combined with a reasonable (albeit not cake) work schedule made it appealing to me. There are a number of research opportunities, utilizing both VA and Harvard resources. Plus, it had the best didactic schedule of any place I interviewed, with one full day a week dedicated to didactics, during which you don't even have to report to your rotation on that day. Certainly came off as more education as opposed to service. Would likely have been higher on my list, but I couldn't get past the fact that it is a 'VA Residency'. I don't think it would negatively affect the inpt training, as you utilize multiple sites for diversity, however, the entire third year being with solely VA pts was a perceived negative in my book. Still, a place where I think I would be quite happy.

8) LSU- ahhh, #s 8-11. Really struggled with these, and moved the order around a lot. LSU jumped a number of spots at the end to take the lead in the group. The initial turn off was lack of research and what was almost too easy a work schedule, to the degree that I felt residents weren't being pushed. But as I stepped back and really considered it, I realized it would be a fine place to be, for a couple of reasons. First, the inpt training is very strong. Lots of sick people in New Orleans, and you utilize both public and private psych hospitals. Second, as far as the research, there really is none to speak of, however, I figure if I strike out on my first 7 options, then maybe I wasn't meant to do research, and I should go to a place that is strong in my other main interest, inpt adult, that also has an amazing lifestyle. I also thought about the residents not being pushed and the possibility of 'too easy' a schedule, but then I realized my passion for psych would make it very easy to self motivate, and I could use all the time available to read and spend more time with pts, and better myself as a psychiatrist that way. Also, on a silly but somewhat true note, all the recent mardi gras stuff reminded me how much I like New Orleans, and self reflection made me realize I would be very happy at LSU.

9)UVA- on the other hand, fell a few spots late in the game. I do think it's a good place to be, lots of specialty tracks to tailor to your individual career goals, pretty academic, decent amount of research (although mostly in addictions), Charlottesville is great especially if you enjoy college towns, and I think the residency would train you well no matter what your career goals. The reasons I dropped it were first and foremost the schedule. It's brutal, of the places I interviewed, second only to Duke, and UVAs call schedule may actually be worse, particularly in PGY3. The other thing I really didn't like was the didactics. No dedicated time PGY1, and very little PGY2. This, and the lack of residents I met, made me think it was service over education. I do think I would be happy there though,even with those perceived negatives.

10)USC Palmetto- I'm actually surprised how much everyone raves about this program. I think that it is a fine place to be, but has a very community feel, and IMO is very similar to many of the DO residencies I am familiar with that people on here tend to absolutely bash (which is the reason I am surprise palmetto is so well received). My opinion of the program is that it has a great lifestyle, and they take care of their residents, but still offer good training. Call schedule is ridiculously cush, rivaled only by LSU at least at the places I interviewed, no other place was close. Medicine months also seem very cush. Psychotherapy training seems quite good, but I am not a fan of the schedule which has extended outpt time at the expensive of the inpt experience. Also, as I said, it is has a community feel. I base this on lack of research, utility of multiple small sites,particularly for inpt psych, and general attitude and feel. Not necessarily a negative thing, in fact some people may prefer this setting, however, it's not what I am looking for. That being said, I think I would be happy there. Who doesn't want a great lifestyle at a place where you are well taken care of?

11)USF- not a particularly strong program, especially in terms of inpt psych, but the location is ideal for me, I thoroughly enjoyed speaking with all the faculty I met, and residents seemed happy. They have some, but not many, research opportunities. There are many things I don't like about program, but with the location and for personal reasons I decided to rank it as I think those things would make me happy if I were to match there.

12)UCLA Harbor- strong county training and psych ER training. IMO lacks diversity in that your pt exposure is essentially ALL county. I also didn't like the schedule, which again, has increased outpt time. Decent amount of research going on at the institution but there seems to be a disconnect between the research and the residents. I was planning on not ranking this program, as an all county training program wasn't what I wanted, plus just a couple days in the greater LA area made it clear that it wasn't the place for me. But after reconsidering, I decided to rank it as I do think you would get strong training with good psychopathology, and it's certainly better than (god forbid) having to scramble.

DNR: Wake Forrest- so many deal breakers with this program. First off the call system is ridiculous, they have no night float so still do overnight call (see details in my post on the interview review thread). Apart from that, the inpt training seems weak at best. They only have one small inpt unit, which during my interview was running at half capacity. They also have no state hospital or VA to supplement the inpt training. I don't see how it is possible to have a psychiatry residency when you only have 12 active inpt beds.... baffling. To make up for this they only have a total of 6 months of inpt psych, which by itself is a deal breaker for me. Honestly, to me this program had no redeeming qualities, however, I surprisingly found Winston Salem rather charming.

I will post thorough interview reviews after the match, hopefully they will help future applicants.

For the many who indicated that they'd be posting residency reviews post-ROL, folks are still waiting. Your ROL is fun, but taking the time to post reviews of where you interviewed actually helps future applicants. Public display of your ROL does not.

The review thread, which is stickied and linked for future applicants is still on the first page. Post your reviews there.

This years reviews turnout was pretty weak with many promises that reviews would start pouring in post-ROL. I was/am dubious. Prove me wrong. And thanks to the handful that took time to contribute to help fellow and future applicants and colleagues...

Coming, I promise. I've just been working a LOT in the ED and haven't had very much time...and I went to a LOT of places.

As I said, I will post further reviews after the match. That's what I've said since day 1. What I posted about were just quick summaries because someone earlier asked if we could post why we ranked the programs where we did. Thorough reviews to come, don't be so pessimistic, haha

It's amazing to me how many people want to live in New York. $1,400 for a 388sq ft apartment, and the right to me crammed liked sardines and be engulfed by obnoxious New Yorkers nearly every second of the day. I just don't get the appeal.

NYC is not just the mecca for bball..u don't get any better psychiatry exposure than ridin the NY subway system, which allows u to cut costs in not needin to drive (or have the associated auto insurance). Not to mention, like SLR many of the NYC programs offer subsidized housing to cut those housing costs...and the NY program I interviewed at has a salary that's at least 5K higher than the other non-NY programs so if I live fairly miserly (eat in most of the time, don't make it rain too much, etc.), I'll prolly have MORE $ in my pocket as I commute from my studio in Brooklyn to Manhattan, Queens, and the Bronx for $2 a pop (except on those occassions when I take the Long Island drunk train, which i think is like $30 round trip, but that's rare..) while bein more engulfed in psych than most witness on their commutes (or perhaps even throughout the work day for that matter) anywhere else in the nation...

n o btw, the countless beautiful people, restaurants, bars, sports teams, shows, museums, n overall somethin for everyone (except those who want palm trees or mountains perhaps) ain't such a bad look either...but I'm glad not EVERYone wants to be a Manhattanite because then the city would REALLY be crowded (and the psych market even more saturated)...

Last edited:
For the many who indicated that they'd be posting residency reviews post-ROL, folks are still waiting. Your ROL is fun, but taking the time to post reviews of where you interviewed actually helps future applicants. Public display of your ROL does not.

The review thread, which is stickied and linked for future applicants is still on the first page. Post your reviews there.

This years reviews turnout was pretty weak with many promises that reviews would start pouring in post-ROL. I was/am dubious. Prove me wrong. And thanks to the handful that took time to contribute to help fellow and future applicants and colleagues...

This year's turnout was weak? I appreciate you PGY1's egging on more people to post because it is helpful for future applicants, but I'd like to point out that we have a much more significant turnout in our review threads than for the 2010-2011 cycle. So let's keep em coming and, in a competitive spirit, show just how much better of a job of we can do.

Thanks for throwing down the gauntlet, NotDeadYet.

Agreed. I love NYC, but the old adage, "it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" comes to mind.

In my own case, I did *briefly* look at some of the NYC programs. The subsidized housing helps, but isn't really a workable solution for a family. Also, that's not counting the cost of sending the kid to school, the wife finding a job and commuting, and all the other stuff that goes with family life.

All in all, it's just not worth it to me. What do I get out of it? Access to Broadway shows? Big deal. I can see them when they come to town, or I can fly to NYC and see 'em there.

I'm too old for the bar/nightlife scene. We outgrew that 10 years ago, and while NYC may have some excellent dining options for us old fogies, so do lots of other places. There is, quite simply, nothing for me in NYC that I can't get elsewhere for cheaper and with less headache.

NYC is not just the mecca for bball

I've never seen anyone refer to baseball as bball, but I can't imagine you mean basketball. The Knicks are consistently the most underperforming NBA team in history, and need some geek from Harvard to even make them competitive this year. On the college front, St Johns was good before any of us but OldPsychDoc were alive, but now have to get UCLA's sloppy seconds on the coaching front. There is no worse place to live for basketball.

Except maybe Durham, because Duke sucks. And you're not allowed to enter heaven if you are a Duke fan.

I've never seen anyone refer to baseball as bball, but I can't imagine you mean basketball. The Knicks are consistently the most underperforming NBA team in history, and need some geek from Harvard to even make them competitive this year. On the college front, St Johns was good before any of us but OldPsychDoc were alive, but now have to get UCLA's sloppy seconds on the coaching front. There is no worse place to live for basketball.

Except maybe Durham, because Duke sucks. And you're not allowed to enter heaven if you are a Duke fan.

Hey y the hate on Linsanity bro..dude can play, n bein a "smart" player is a good thing last time I checked (esp. when u play with the likes of melo, j.r. smith, and amare)...lotta great players still come up in Rucker park and the other playgrounds of NYC (marbury, kenny anderson, jesus shuttlesworth...), and the Garden is still the Garden regardless of what the knicks do because it's the "world's greatest stage"...sheesh cynical much pilgrim

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y the hate on Linsanity bro..dude can play
Hey, I take my Risperdal! Clears it right up!

I do appreciate the exported product of high school players. Only in basketball are high schoolers so excited to leave NYC for Lexington Kentucky and Lawrence Kansas!

No hate on the garden. Respect is due.

Lawrence Kansas!

Speaking of places that suck......... :p

It is nice to see a wider diversity of programs this year. I did the exciting "living in NYC" thing for two years when I was in grad school. Really enjoyed my time, but priorities have changed drastically, and I'd like to live in a place that's much more affordable. In my experience of talking with people on the coasts, there's very little understanding of exactly HOW much more affordable the Midwest and South can be, and the cultural/sports opportunities that are out here. Subsidized housing may be a great benefit, but not one I need when I'm paying $750/month for 1200 sq f with 3 BR, 2 full BA, and a one-car garage. I expect to pay a little more when I move from college town to city, but it won't even touch what the NYC 1BRs are costing.

Oh-

Wash U
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Michigan
Cincinnati

Plus two others I could live with but hope I don't have to reach that far down.

And two I didn't rank because I just could not see myself there. At all.

Oh-

Wash U
Vanderbilt
UNC-Chapel Hill
Michigan
Cincinnati

Plus two others I could live with but hope I don't have to reach that far down.

And two I didn't rank because I just could not see myself there. At all.

great list (esp. if u wanna do CAP!), but could you please humor us and name your 4 other programs cuz I think most of us wanna know what u DON'T consider good as it's as or even more important as what you DO? c'mon, u've come this far, why hold back now...

I'll prolly have MORE $ in my pocket.
n o btw, the countless beautiful people, restaurants, bars, sports teams, shows, museums, n overall somethin for everyone (except those who want palm trees or mountains perhaps) ain't such a bad look either...but I'm glad not EVERYone wants to be a Manhattanite because then the city would REALLY be crowded (and the psych market even more saturated)...

You must be thinking of Texas while writing about NYC. My 2 bedroom townhouse in med school with backyard and covered parking was $600/month. Just 1 way of keeping more money in my pocket.

Beautiful people- Women wear skirts 11 months of the year down here in the South.

Restaurants - our major cities have some of the most restaurants per capita.

Sports- we dominate. Cowboys, Spurs, Mavericks, Rockets, Rangers, UT, A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor all within 4 hours driving.

Excellent theatre/museum districts.

Beaches - we have that too.

NYC - you got nothing. :)

You must be thinking of Texas while writing about NYC. My 2 bedroom townhouse in med school with backyard and covered parking was $600/month. Just 1 way of keeping more money in my pocket.

Beautiful people- Women wear skirts 11 months of the year down here in the South.

Sports- we dominate. Cowboys, Spurs, Mavericks, Rockets, Rangers, UT, A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor all within 4 hours driving.

Ya and I could say the same about here in FL, with us havin better beaches and your state havin better Mexican food..n both states have no state income taxes n nice weather yearround...I appreciate you puttin on for your awesome state (I've lived in H town and San An too), but what I said was the NYC program I was considering had a $5K higher salary to compensate for at least some of the higher cost of living, and NYC offers a one-of-a-kind fast, hustle and bustle lifestyle (yes, including much of the same arrogance n rudeness you may get in Boston) and countless opportunities to immerse yourself into psychiatry day n night...beautiful people can be seen in all 3, but somehow NYC has more concentrated in a small area than perhaps anywhere (I imagine maybe only a couple cities like L.A. or Stockholm can compete..?) I've never really been a big city guy myself, but somehow this city has an energy about it that can make you feel anything is possible, no? (see Jeremy Lin story, or vendors n subways at all hours day n night)

Last edited:
Ya and I could say the same about here in FL, with better beaches and TX havin better Mexican food..n both states have no state income taxes n nice weather yearround...what I said was the NYC program had a salary to compensate for the higher cost of living and a different flavor if you like the fast, hustle and bustle lifestyle...beautiful people can be seen in all 3, but somehow NYC has more concentrated in a small area than perhaps anywhere (I imagine maybe only a couple cities like L.A. or Stockholm can compete..?)

EVERYTHING is more concentrated in a small area in NYC. That's why it's so unappealing to me.

nyc delivers me pinkberry at 10:30 pm when i have late night cravings. can't beat that :)

For I long time I dreamed of living in NYC, if only to satisfy my love of classical music. Until I realised that I would have to take all my annual leave every four years to head down to Fort Worth - the home of what is to my mind the premier classical music event in the entire world: The Van Cliburn Competition. Never would have guessed Texas wins that one too :)

I'm from (and currently residing in) one of the more northeastern states and every time I visit texas I get a great impression of the potential of the lifestyle. I'm a big fan of having the options of urban living or a more suburban feel. And warm happier mood weather is always a plus for me. I sure do hope i get texas on match day!

nyc delivers me pinkberry at 10:30 pm when i have late night cravings. can't beat that :)

Yeah, but it's not like NYC is the only place that has delivery food.

The bigger issue is simply the time. Unless I'm working, it's a RARE day where I'm even AWAKE at 10:30pm, much less eating. 'Round these parts, our bedtime is 9pm.

Agree with all the comments about housing costs and crowding.

And don't get me wrong, I enjoy psychiatric pathology as much as the next psychiatrist, but I like to keep my work and home lives separate, and I don't want to feel like I'm still on the wards when I'm done with work. To me, that's just another reason to avoid the place like the plague.

Anyways, to each his own, but NYC is certainly not the amazing place that everyone claims it is. Is it a fun city with a lot of cool, unique stuff? Yeah...but so are a lot of other places that are far less expensive.

It's also not like you don't see psychiatric pathology outside of NYC. Although U Iowa (for example) may be in a stereotypically small, white-bread, Iowa college town, they are literally the only game in the whole state, and even for much of the surrounding states. They see a good variety of pathology there too. The only thing NYC may see more of is people who don't speak English, who are a very difficult and unique psychiatric population, but a pain in the ***** for us and the translation phone people, especially if they're from somewhere odd, which is far more likely in NYC due to the "cool melting pot" effect.

I dunno. One of the worlds great cities. Not for me. I'll stick with my visits, thanks. For the price of the cost differential, I could afford to fly to NYC one weekend a month from pretty much anywhere in the country.

I still think PGY3 and 4 would you plenty of time to enjoy the city

No, my point is if you aren't the one out there seeing what NYC has to offer and are the type that stays in your little cubby/home body, NYC is probably not a good choice for you..

To expand on your point, I think it will even be possible to enjoy the city even in the 1st and (definitely) the 2nd yrs of most programs if that's what you are actually going to do with your time.

There could be any number of reasons beyond the obvious--say mathematical financial ones--to prefer a certain location.

For example, I have every financial reason in the book to want to live in the Midwest. And yet. You would have to break both my legs and parachute me from a plane into Nebraska before I'd spend a week there.

Fun place to visit...?

I don't even want to visit the Midwest. Like. Ever. 2 minutes of Prairie Home Companion and I want to slice my ears off.

So. To each their own.

Last edited:
There could be any number of reasons beyond the obvious--say mathematical financial ones--to prefer a certain location.

For example, I have every financial reason in the book to want to live in the Midwest. And yet. You would have to break both my legs and parachute me from a plane into Nebraska before I'd spend a week there.

Fun place to visit...?

I don't even want to visit the Midwest. Like. Ever. 2 minutes of Prairie Home Companion and I want to slice my ears off.

So. To each their own.

Garrison Keillor's an acquired taste :)

Last edited:
Anyone else have rank lists to post, to help us get past this NYC debate?

1. USF
2. WPIC/UPMC
3. UNC
4. Hopkins
5. MUSC
6. OHSU
7. U Washington

USF is my home program, and since I want a career in Florida, and I have a mentor I couldn't convince myself to leave, I couldn't convince myself it was worthwhile to leave.
If I could have convinced myself to leave, WPIC was my favorite program in terms of pathology, facilities, support, and over-all awesomeness. UNC came a close second, and it was second only to the fact that WPIC had more inpatient beds and better research availability. Hopkins only fault was that I wasn't sure I was a great "culture" fit. The rest had their own singular sticky issue of varying importance.

DNR:
LSU
UF
Duke
Tulane
Wake Forest

I should have added LSU and UF to my rank list, but I forgot. The rest I was just not a fan of, for many reasons.

Am I the only person in this forum who liked Hopkins enough to rank it #1?

1) Hopkins
2) MGH
3) Columbia
4) WPIC
5) UCLA
6) Wash U
7) Stanford
8) UCSD
9) U Penn
10) U Washington

It worries me that everyone else got such a bad vibe...Was there something I overlooked that was obviously worrisome/negative to everyone else?

Hopkins is a great program but its not for everyone. Most of your programs are more on the biological end so I imagine it would be a good fit for you, but some people aren't so biologically inclined. They are fairly recalcitrant, backward looking, and inflexible which is offputting for some people. When I spoke to the PD last week he said their training was a bit like how things were in Britain in the 1960s and of course they pretty much haven't changed their program since the late 1970s - something they are proud of. Most of the serious researchers go elsewhere as there's no time for research or a research track. A lot of people don't like Baltimore. Others still don't like the hard-core medicne months. They actually published a paper looking at why people don't go there: http://ap.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=50992

I've read that paper, actually. Did you feel it would be a supportive place? The PD seemed a little opinionated and rigid. The other faculty I met that day were pretty down to earth and nice, though.

I think it is a supportive place. I also think they have a specific way of doing things and if you don't like it then they are of the opinion that's how we do things. It was the only program where they seemed hostile to the new ACGME work hour rules and thought it was a shame that interns couldn't do q3 overnight call anymore! (thankfully those days are over or I would never have ranked it!)

I will also say that Hopkins is often criticized for being rigid, formal and hierarchical. There is some truth in this, but much less than I expected. Your #2 MGH is MUCH worse in those regards, but people are more willing to put with it because of the Harvard affiliation, the name brand of MGH/McLean, and being at the #1 academic supercenter for psychiatry in the world etc. It certainly has a nasty streak behind the surface which I did find at Hopkins.

If I thought it was a program to avoid you'd have heard about it by now! :laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your list canhasnaps. We interviewed at a lot of the same places, and I was curious to see what your list would look like. Seems like we had similar thoughts on a number of places.

I only ranked programs I would love to go to. So it's not that there was anything really wrong with Hopkins - just for me personally it wasn't the best fit.

can i ask what was the reason you didn't rank tulane? i heard they still hadn't recovered from katrina and am not sure if i could live in new orleans for 4 years so didn't apply but curious nonetheless...

Partly it was the hospital situation, which I believe will be resolved I the next 4-5 years, if not sooner. I LOVE NOLA and you can't beat that area for psych pathology - plus the food is amazing.

It was one of two interviews I had that I was desperate to leave after the first five minutes of meeting the residents at the dinners. I don't have a good answer other than it was NOT a good fit.

I've heard varying things on Tulane. I've heard a few people say very good things about it (albietmostly based around the good lifestyle). In my research, LSU seemed like the stronger program. I based this on inpt facilities (LSU has both Oschner and the majority of Depaul, Tulane has to utilize the state hospital over 45 min outside of the city for their inpt experience), size of the program, and clinical resources. LSU is very limited on research, maybe Tulane is stronger in that aspect. Either way, I ended up cancelling my interview at Tulane. I figured if I was going to NOLA, LSU was the place to be.

With regards to Palmetto vs. MUSC:

I went looking at the match results for the past few years and saw that although Palmetto didn't fill last year, MUSC didn't fill (2 open spots) in 2008. Palmetto filled every other year, back to 2007...

Anyways, just thought it was interesting. I really think last year was a fluke for Palmetto.

I'm from (and currently residing in) one of the more northeastern states and every time I visit texas I get a great impression of the potential of the lifestyle. I'm a big fan of having the options of urban living or a more suburban feel. And warm happier mood weather is always a plus for me. I sure do hope i get texas on match day!

Be careful what you wish for with the warm. :p We had more than 40 days straight of 100+ weather last summer, and we're still in a drought. Not trying to be down on your choice or anything, I definitely hope you get exactly what you want! I hear UTSW has great training and some people love it here even with the heat. I'm just letting you know... I expected warm when I moved here, but no one prepared me for this >.>

Hopkins is a great program but its not for everyone. Most of your programs are more on the biological end so I imagine it would be a good fit for you, but some people aren't so biologically inclined. They are fairly recalcitrant, backward looking, and inflexible which is offputting for some people. When I spoke to the PD last week he said their training was a bit like how things were in Britain in the 1960s and of course they pretty much haven't changed their program since the late 1970s - something they are proud of. Most of the serious researchers go elsewhere as there's no time for research or a research track. A lot of people don't like Baltimore. Others still don't like the hard-core medicne months. They actually published a paper looking at why people don't go there: http://ap.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx?articleid=50992

I said no to Hopkins even before I attended the interview. Strange right? Well I did my research after I applied there and the negatives were deal-breakers for me. So yes, I turned down their interview invite. Not sorry either. But if you liked the program then more power to you. It must be right for someone. My heart is set on going from South to West - I'll dig my way there if I have to.

ahem.
2011: 8-8
2010: 6-10

If I want an underperforming football team, I'll just stay in Ohio.

Be careful what you wish for with the warm. :p We had more than 40 days straight of 100+ weather last summer, and we're still in a drought. Not trying to be down on your choice or anything, I definitely hope you get exactly what you want! I hear UTSW has great training and some people love it here even with the heat. I'm just letting you know... I expected warm when I moved here, but no one prepared me for this >.>

Sounds like my partner is gonna have to get used to me walking around naked.;)...Im sure that will increase the libido.

Nah, the state Im in gets pretty heated days (95+) but with HUMIDITY....at least Dallas is a little dryer than its other close sisters, Houston and (I think) Austin. I do worry sometimes about the energy expense, but Im expecting to use a big chunk of UTSW's for at least the first 2 years....We'll see though, either way, I loved the versatility of the city and the benefits per cost of living per academic power were still second to very few I've considered.

Thanks for the heads up though!

This year's turnout was weak? I appreciate you PGY1's egging on more people to post because it is helpful for future applicants, but I'd like to point out that we have a much more significant turnout in our review threads than for the 2010-2011 cycle.
Oh, ours was weak too, no doubt about it.

But at the end of the day, the program reviews are helping fellow and future applicants. The posting of your ROL list is really just ego stroking that won't actually help anyone down the road. Absolutely nothing wrong with ego stroking, and if your interview season was a rough one, it's probably quite therapeutic, but just sayin'....

Last year, we had 11 more people post ROL lists than reviews. This year, we have 8 more people doing the same. For all the talk of posting evals post-ROL, only 3 folks have. Last year we only had 3 folks post any reviews at all post-match.

Obviously folks are very guynshy about posting their impressions of programs interviews out of fear that somehow programs can rescind their ROLs or that program directors are going to want to spend their time searching SDN to try to find who wound up in their program and what they said about the place, which really speak about the timidity and paranoia of your average med student.

So consider posting your program reviews if you haven't for next year's class. Or tell yourself you'll do so post-match. But keep in mind how much SDN probably helped you in figuring out where to interview and do your part for future applicants. It's a big world out there and it's nice to look out for one another.
So let's keep em coming and, in a competitive spirit, show just how much better of a job of we can do.
Thanks for taking this in the spirit it was intended, LEdaddy. Good luck with the waiting game...

I think fundamental human insecurities are probably a confounder here. I imagine those applicants out there applying to the most competitive programs are less likely to publicly post a ROL and subject themselves to public embarrassment than candidates who may be more confident with less competitive programs at the top.

Either that, or I really, really should've "ranked" the SOAP in my top 5. The top-tier programs are all going to be going to the scramble...

Another option is that rank order lists for both residents and programs depend at least a little bit on the amount of received love. If an applicant gets no follow up calls or emails from Prestigious Program A, and Program A declines the applicant's request for a follow up visit, where do you think that applicant is going to rate that Program, regardless of how good the training might be? Even if the applicant is certain the computer errs on the side of the applicant, Program A is going to slide.

Similarly, if the applicant doesnt respond to emails from the PD (or responds with perfunctory 1 liners), many PD's will drop that applicant down on the list. And it's not just about trying to impress the Chair by not having to go waaaay down on the rank list--programs want enthusiasm, not people who got stuck at a certain place.

I debated for a long time whether to post my list, but maybe others can learn from my mistakes. I loved University of Washington, and I was really interested in the rural tracks. In the end, though, because of nervousness about prestige and fellowship opportunities, I ended up ranking other programs in between. All of the places in between are great programs, but I really want to live in the Northwest. And I wish I based the list solely on where I want to train next year, rather than on worries about fellowships, which don't tend to be that competitive in psychiatry anyways.

1) University of Washington- Seattle
2) Cornell
3) Yale
4) Pitt
5) Michigan
6) UW-Boise
7) UW-Alaska
8) Utah