Rol!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Wisconsin
2. Ohio State
3. Creighton/UNMC
4. UC-Denver
5. Med College of WI
6. John Peter Smith-Ft. Worth
7. UNC-Chapel Hill UCSF
8. Harvard Longwood
9. Minnesota
10. Rush - Chicago
11. Advocate Lutheran
12. Penn
13. UTSW-Austin
14. OHSU
15. UCSF

Members don't see this ad.

1. Brown
2. Yale
3. UNC
4. Harvard Longwood
5. Michigan
6. U Maryland
7. UC Denver
8. Penn
9. Hopkins
10. UVA
11. Tufts
12. Temple
13. Thomas Jefferson
14. VCU

This is fun reading everyone's list. I'm so ready for this process to be over, it feels endless!

Here is mine:

1. Mayo
2. Dartmouth
3. UCSF Fresno
4. Albert Einstein - Montefiore
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. OHSU
7. University of Colorado
8. Beth Israel
9. University of Alabama

Members don't see this ad :)
This is fun reading everyone's list. I'm so ready for this process to be over, it feels endless!

Here is mine:

1. Mayo
2. Dartmouth
3. UCSF Fresno
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. OHSU
8. Beth Israel
9. University of Alabama

Out of curiosity, how did you decide where to apply? Did you pick a program in every geographical area in the US? Plenty of quality programs there too.

Here is mine:

1. Mayo
2. Dartmouth
3. UCSF Fresno
5. Cleveland Clinic
6. OHSU
8. Beth Israel
9. University of Alabama

Talked hubby into that maple syrup farm, I see!
:D

Oh wow, it's always interesting to see other people with very different opinions as oneself. UCSF would've been my #1 without question, had they deigned me worthy of an interview. They did not.

1. Brown
2. Yale
3. UNC
4. Harvard Longwood
5. Michigan
6. U Maryland
7. UC Denver
8. Penn
9. Hopkins
10. UVA
11. Tufts
12. Temple
13. Thomas Jefferson
14. VCU

I did the couples match as well and hear you about making compromises. However, your list is awesome! Your top 9 programs are all excellent programs! (I'm sure the last 5 are great too, I'm just not as familiar.)

Out of curiosity, how did you decide where to apply? Did you pick a program in every geographical area in the US? Plenty of quality programs there too.

My husband and I knew that we wanted to move out of the Southeast, so I pretty much looked at every program that was in a state we were willing to live in. I read through a ton of websites, FRIEDA pages etc. etc. and settled on 25-ish to apply to. Personally (and unfortunately for the hubby) I found that the "worse" the location, the more I liked a program. Though actually I found Minnesota/Rochester to be quite charming.

Hubby is not so excited about maple syrup farm idea... I can't imagine why. :laugh:

I did the couples match as well and hear you about making compromises. However, your list is awesome! Your top 9 programs are all excellent programs! (I'm sure the last 5 are great too, I'm just not as familiar.)

Bless your hearts, this is hard enough just trying to match one person with a non-MD spouse. I think the match is a lot more awesome for single people. :)

It certainly contributed some in ending my relationship recently. I believe it is easiest on those who aren't just single but not even dating or in any kind of relationship.

psychelle, i totally disagree! my SO and i had so much fun as an applicant couple, and it made the endless interview trail much more enjoyable on a lot of fronts (sharing the burden of driving, being more comfortable at dinner because you already know someone, having someone to bounce your opinions off of). i would probably feel very differently, though, if one of us was applying for a competitive residency.

that said, here's my list:
1. UCLA
2. WPIC
3. UW
4. MGH/McLean
5. Harvard Longwood (he ranked Cambridge instead)
6. Duke
7. Yale
8. Brown
9. UNC
10. Emory
11. UPenn (great program, but I'm totally burned out on Philly)

I sort of regret having cancelled more than a couple of our interviews (esp after reading some really fantastic reviews of them), but I'm so happy with our #1.

Sneezing, I'm so sorry to hear that. I do know the application/interview/match process really has put some couples I know through the wringer (especially those who really liked each other but were relatively newly established)...it's a really tough situation to be in. I hope the post-breakup is treating you okay.

sorry, double post. curse my bad internet connection!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. WPIC
2. Columbia
3. UCLA
4. MGH/McLean
5. Michigan

1. UCI
2. UCLA
4. UCLA-Harbor
5. USC
6. Cedars-Sinai
7. UCLA-SFV
8. San Mateo
9. CPMC
10. UCSD
11. OHSU
12. Loma Linda
13. UCSF-Fresno
14. Colorado
15. Longwood
16. Yale
18. Arizona
19. UCLA-Kern
20. Banner
21. Arizona/UPHK

Good luck guys!

Wow! You went on a lot of interviews!

You must be an expert on different approaches to psych training.

Wow! You went on a lot of interviews!

You must be an expert on different approaches to psych training.

I too am impressed, someone who interviewed at more places than me! And there are some choice programmes in there to boot, very impressive. A lot of love for SoCal, I see. Ha ha where's #3 and #17 though?

Last edited:
My top 5 included 2 programs I really loved, 1 solely for my husband, 1 for its name, and 1 for lifestyle.

Last edited:
psychelle, i totally disagree! my SO and i had so much fun as an applicant couple, and it made the endless interview trail much more enjoyable on a lot of fronts (sharing the burden of driving, being more comfortable at dinner because you already know someone, having someone to bounce your opinions off of). i would probably feel very differently, though, if one of us was applying for a competitive residency.

Yeah I guess it just totally depends on the couple and their individual circumstances. With couples matching you at least know that if you both match you both will have a job for the next four years or so. For those without a matching spouse/partner... It's kinda scary. :scared:

Interesting to me how many people have OHSU on their list, even those who aren't apparently from the West or Northwest. I know that Portland is an amazing city, but the program itself must be a lot stronger/more attractive than I thought (didn't interview there.)

Columbia
Cornell
NYU
YALE
Longwood
Cambridge
Upenn
Mount Sinai
Montefiore
NSLIJ
St Lukes
Brown

Interesting to me how many people have OHSU on their list, even those who aren't apparently from the West or Northwest. I know that Portland is an amazing city, but the program itself must be a lot stronger/more attractive than I thought (didn't interview there.)

SDN might not be representative of the distribution of quality of the applicant pool.

-AT.

1.Cornell
2.U Pitt
3.U Chicago
4.UCLA-SFVP
5.Boston U
6.Case Western
7.Dartmouth

1. UCLA
2. Harvard Longwood
3. Cambridge Health Alliance
4. Mount Sinai
5. Univ of Maryland
6. Brown Univ
7. Univ of Massachusetts
8. Boston Univ
9. Tufts Univ
10. Harvard South Shore

It's nice to see other folks put UCLA at the top! It's stressing me out to wonder which coast I'll end up on, or which city for that matter, but I'm getting used to this amorphous mix of anxiety/excitement ;o)

I know we joke, but in many ways middle America really is like a different country compared to the coasts. I think the Pacific Northwest for example, has much more in common culturally with Canadian British Columbia, than with the "flyover states". :p But it's also a mark of our good fortune that we have such a wide and diverse country.